Pool is becoming a rich man's sport

Twocylndr

I bought a cheap used table for $500 a few years ago and a $150 stick when I got back in the game. Biggest issue for most people is space.
Look at Vahala from Viking, Lucky From Mcdermott. They are both playable cues for under 200. I'm sure other major brands off the same.
Ditto on both...$400 cheap used table, $100 Aramith Crown Standard balls and $100 Vahala cue.
Far from rich I am.
I play every day.
I have several sets of golf clubs and numerous fishin poles. Used to golf 5X times a week, can't afford that now! Time or $$$ wise!

Pool is really very affordable. When I compare how much I spend vs. friends at work

Thanks for posting what I was going to post. This game is super cheap for me. I get up in the afternoon (graveyard shift worker) drink coffee and do the drill routine at home (therapy) and it really hasn’t cost me anything over the initial expenses of the table and a good Runde cue. Every 6 months or so I spend 20 bucks to get a new tip installed, and a new glove about every two years. It’s much cheaper than my friends paying green fees, or country club dues. One of these days I’m going to venture out and maybe go to Tulsa and see about challenging Garczar to some low stakes 9 ball. Lol
If you do give me a heads up I play I'm just a average 540 Fargo with a cue older than efren Reyes a old Adams twin joint cue

Very rationally described. I agree with you. It is one of the cheapest ways to kill a few hours in a world where it feels that nothing is truly free anymore.

But there are still certain elements that we are encouraged to need or want in order to perform our best (or like the pro we idolize). Not everyone is as infallible to gimmicks, wants and needs. Not everyone applies logic in the same way. Not everyone is in control of their cash flow in the same way. Psychology and spending are something exploited for more than a short period of time throughout history. It is one reason I agree with the title thread, and understand how some people perceive it to be a rich persons game. I was a bit over-awed by all the fancy cue talk here when I first stumbled on the forum 😂

We definitely don't need all the new stuff, 20 shafts and 5 cue cases, but the importance of owning them is pressed on us. Whether the latest tech is placebo or not. Whether the re-sale or collectability is worth it or not. To some fragile people, having those things matters and does affect their performance or impact their self-worth even.

It's one of the biggest gripes I had with pool when I first started playing (I know I have whined about it a few times here before), and it's why I am glad I have chosen the 'one cue to rule them all' method. Picking out a stick that's going to be playing with me until I can't play anymore.
Yep pool per hour keeps going up and wages get smaller

Don't I know! I have an architect drawing up a basement expansion to match a main-floor expansion on stilts. It would create a 16x25 space to fit a 9-foot table. All for the svelte price of $80,000 to $100,000. That doesn't count a $10,000 nine-foot Diamond table, either.

And there I was implying on another thread that pool is not a rich man's game (I do have an inexpensive, used Olhausen 7-footer right now).
That's rich my point exactly elite are coming to pool because they get bored golf .pool cue prices are going up

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The biggest investment is TIME. Pool has taken countless hours from me.
I am ahead thousands of dollars though, over the years I have consistently taken in far more than I've ever paid out. That includes everything. Equipment, travel, etc.