Pool Pitch: Pool the cleanest sport.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Most sports involve players touching something on the floor or being in a field.
Sports that spread germs quickly.

Billiards is one the few sports you can compete in and not really need to change clothes when you are done.

In billiards most equipment is kept spotless. Clean habits are practiced during the game as well, pros clean their cue often.

How is billiards different than traditional American past times? Main idea

I have writers bloc anyone have a pick

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most sports involve players touching something on the floor or being in a field.

Billiards is one the few sports you can compete in and not really need to change clothes when you are done.

In billiards most equipment is kept spotless. Clean habits are practiced during the game as well, pros clean their cue often.

Please go away. Your asinine posts are waaaaay past tired.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool halls I've been in were so thick with smoke, that you most definitely had to change, and wash, clothes when you got home. Not to mention having your hands all over a common table and balls. I've never seen spotless billiard equipment.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Is this a joke? Pool players get dirty from touching the cloth, the chalk, the balls, and from leaning on the table so often. In addition, pool tends not to be contested in particularly clean surroundings.

Comparison with anything but non-aerobic indoor competitions is inappropriate. Pool is dirtier than bridge, backgammon and chess. It is roughly as clean as bowling and poker. If it's cleaner than any other non-aerobic indoor competition, nothing comes to mind . In my opinion, many pool players fail to exercise proper hygiene and some compete in clothing that is not best for maintaining cleanliness.

Nobody chooses pool as a hobby or profession for the cleanliness. More often, they choose it in spite of the lack of cleanliness.

justnum

Silver Member
At sanctioned tournaments, the equipment usually looks new and so does the set of balls.

I see what everyone is saying.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

I now have dirty blue hands from chalk in the cloth. Germs on every rail and surface. Some places take money in the tables... how filthy and barbaric! Ruined dress pants from chalk on the rail and some aluminum castings. Germs from hundreds of people touching the balls. The chunks in the balls make a good place for the germs to really take hold. A triangle that hasn't been washed for years. Breathing everyone else's air in the building while some drunk sprays saliva from his mouth while talking 6" from your face so you can hear him over the music. There is something vaguely sticky on the house cue. The urinal is in a puddle and the toilet seat has a fine yellow mist on it. Oh, the soap or paper towels are also missing. Damn, even the handle on the faucet is broken... I wonder if I can pull the stem up by hand? Just don't play at your average bar or the cleanliness goes out the window. 😜

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I don't mind his posts. They're different to the usual questions.

I guess it depends whether you compare pool to general sports or to SJM's non-aerobic indoor competitions. Both comparisons have their merits.

I heard that pool has been found (by some study) to be the safest sport you can play. Nobody wants to play the safest sport in the world, do they?We're manly, goddammit. We want risk and injuries. Same viewpoint probably applies for cleanliness.

But pool must be more dangerous than bridge, and some of those little chess pieces look like a choking hazard.

Everyone who pointed out that pool venues are usually pretty dirty is right, IMO. And if you were looking for a COVID-safe passtime, being indoors breathing the same air as other people is probably not great. But we'll all be vaccinated soon and then we can go back to licking each other's faces.

Reactions: sjm

justnum

Silver Member
in chess you actually sit closer to your opponent the whole time

in billiards you take turns at the table

i work at a school the bathroom in a school you walk into puddles because people dont aim.

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swimming the the cleanest competitive sport. Heck, you can't even work up a sweat !
If you don’t think you can/do sweat when swimming, whether competitively or just for fitness, you’ve never done more than wade up to the pool bar at a resort! 😁