Pool Player From The Past

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yer probably not going to get this but anyone with the last name of Weir, must play pretty Dam good.

vicki h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billy weir

back in 2000, i took john schimdt on the road,we stopped in billys room looking for action. we played several players over a few days, they finally put billy on us.we played a head set for big $$$$$, everybody in there wanted to side bet on billy, we had to write down all the bets on paper because there were just too many to remember. we hageled for a while over which table to play on. billy wanted nothing to do with john on the 9 footer, and we were told not to mess with billy on the 7 footer, so we agreed to play on the 8 footer.what a match it was !!!!!! billy jumped all over john and got on the hill first, he didnt miss a ball on that 8 footer. they went back and forth for hours, john the champion he is,caught a gear and got back to even, it was early in the am and everyone agreed to call it a night, we came in the next night and billy told us that there was alot of oil $$$ floating around the room and could of made a huge score but johns speed spooked everybody !!!! billy was a great host, great room, and lots of action !!!! next time i go through texas i will stop by and have a beer with billy weir !!!!!

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought he was talking about playing six strings for the grateful dead.

Billy moved to San Antonio to live with his brother for a few months back in the 80's. I got the lucky job of taking him around to look for action and we never lost a bet.

At one pool room someone asked billy how old he was and billy said, 30,30,30,30,35 or something to that nature. Billy would stutter every once and awhile and the other guy was telling me later that he was thinking, 30 ok, 30 ok got it, alright your 30, yeah 30, oh 35. After billy cleaned out the best players in that pool room we moved on and a few months after he left town I was playing in a tournament at this same pool room. So the guy who asked the question about his age was telling me, wow, that guy can play, wow. And somebody else asked him, what would you do if god said to you. I will make you as good a player as Billy but you will have to live the rest of your life with a stutter. Without a moment of hesitation the guy said, I WOULD BE ONE STUTTERING MOTHER F****R.

I also heard a story about billy taking off some small town pool room owner for tens of thousands of dollars. I am sure there are parts of this story that are not correct so if you know anything about this story please add to it or correct it. His pockets were so full of cash that the owner said, hey you cant play with all of that money in your pocket, you can hardly bend over your pockets are so stuffed, here is a bag to hold it. Towards the end of the night a group of big fellows show up and give billy the dirty stare down and billy finally asks the owner. Am I going to be able to leave with this money and the owner said NO. Am I going to be able to live and the owner said, YES, so billy broke down his cue and got out of there.

Last edited:

JWM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy Weir

back in 2000, i took john schimdt on the road,we stopped in billys room looking for action. we played several players over a few days, they finally put billy on us.we played a head set for big $$$$$, everybody in there wanted to side bet on billy, we had to write down all the bets on paper because there were just too many to remember. we hageled for a while over which table to play on. billy wanted nothing to do with john on the 9 footer, and we were told not to mess with billy on the 7 footer, so we agreed to play on the 8 footer.what a match it was !!!!!! billy jumped all over john and got on the hill first, he didnt miss a ball on that 8 footer. they went back and forth for hours, john the champion he is,caught a gear and got back to even, it was early in the am and everyone agreed to call it a night, we came in the next night and billy told us that there was alot of oil $$$ floating around the room and could of made a huge score but johns speed spooked everybody !!!! billy was a great host, great room, and lots of action !!!! next time i go through texas i will stop by and have a beer with billy weir !!!!!

Billy was a real player, real deal. I played him in 1967-68, at the Cue & Triangle, Big Spring, Texas. We played rotation for $10 a game, we were both 16-17. He drove up from New Mexico to play. I will never forget it!! I got drafted, went to Viet Nam. Billy got in with Weldon Rogers, worked for him, in his pool room. We are the best of friends! We always wanted to open a pool room. He has Billy Weir's Billiard Palace, Odessa, Texas. I have John Wesley's Pick Pocket Billiards, Big Spring, Texas. Enough Said!!!! John Wesley

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a funny one about a player really out running the nuts. Scotty Townsend, who didn't know Billy at the time, got double stirred into giving Billy the 7 ball. Well, by the end of the night Scotty had busted everyone. Scotty told me he fell in dead stroke and never missed a ball. Billy was a great player. I lived in Hobbs NM, Odessa, Midland and Andrews in the late 70's and Billy was always known as the best player around. A good friend of mine, who has run with many past champions, said he watched Billy play the best pool he had ever seen.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Paul, I believe you're thinking of golf. A Weir is also a name for a different type of Dam.
Hence, my bad pun.

Altho, there is also Jean Claude Van Damme.

Last edited:

JWM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy Weir

I have a funny one about a player really out running the nuts. Scotty Townsend, who didn't know Billy at the time, got double stirred into giving Billy the 7 ball. Well, by the end of the night Scotty had busted everyone. Scotty told me he fell in dead stroke and never missed a ball. Billy was a great player. I lived in Hobbs NM, Odessa, Midland and Andrews in the late 70's and Billy was always known as the best player around. A good friend of mine, who has run with many past champions, said he watched Billy play the best pool he had ever seen.

True story, John Wesley

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Was there no one on his side or no one to call? Was he hustling or did the guy just get beat and was upset?

I also heard a story about billy taking off some small town pool room owner for tens of thousands of dollars. I am sure there are parts of this story that are not correct so if you know anything about this story please add to it or correct it. His pockets were so full of cash that the owner said, hey you cant play with all of that money in your pocket, you can hardly bend over your pockets are so stuffed, here is a bag to hold it. Towards the end of the night a group of big fellows show up and give billy the dirty stare down and billy finally asks the owner. Am I going to be able to leave with this money and the owner said NO. Am I going to be able to live and the owner said, YES, so billy broke down his cue and got out of there.[/QUOTE]

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
he may have been good but when that guy gave him the bag he should have been smart enough to know something was going to happen and got out of there quickly before the guys came in.

ive left a stick or two on the table and left before it got too hot.

or before cell phones went to the pay phone and called the cops and said there is a disturbance at the pool room. and when they walk in walk out.

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
I live in San Angelo, TX. I go to Odessa at least once a month to the monthly 9-ball tournament at The Golden Cue on Grant Ave. I have to admit it's pretty damn cool to hear these local stories.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OklaPony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was working in Odessa for a couple of weeks back in 2001 or so and went into his place a few times to knock 'em around a little. The first time I went in things were pretty slow and Billy came over and introduced himself. He was an excellent host and a pleasure to meet. He showed me some plans for a place he was going to open in Ft. Worth but I don't know if it ever happened.

Last edited:

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did open up a place in Fort Worth

I was working in Odessa for a couple of weeks back in 2001 or so and went into his place a few times to knock 'me around a little. The first time I went in things were pretty slow and Billy came over and introduced himself. He was an excellent host and a pleasure to meet. He showed me some plans for a place he was going to open in Ft. Worth but I don't know if it ever happened.

Was gorgeous - 2 tiers - mix of 9 foot and bar box diamonds. All diamond lights. Unfortunately he did not have the right guys running it - they played god awful rap music 24-7. Drew in the wrong crowds and heard the place got busted up. I know first hand - my best friend tried to buy Billy out - but didnt know anyone he trusted to run the place. It really was a great layout and could have been a slam dunk here in this area with no good places to play.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ardmore Ok

If you ever get the chance ,have Billy tell you the story about Ardmore Ok. When he was locked in the trunk and taken to a lake.. Funny but scary as hell. great player on bb

JWM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy Weir

If you ever get the chance ,have Billy tell you the story about Ardmore Ok. When he was locked in the trunk and taken to a lake.. Funny but scary as hell. great player on bb

Ever had a gun pulled on you, Billy has told me the story.