Pool stuff you bought🤮, tried or used, and said never again.🤮

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
So please share with us the tools you would recommend to replace the ultimate....what do you carry?

Nope that is my secret, but if you search archives you will find my choices.

Are the BEST ? for me yes, you can be in love with your Ultimate Tool no shin off mr feet.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Non leather break tip.....first time I heard one, I knew it was no good....my golf sense told me.
....any chalk holder.
70% of the break cues I see....if you can’t break more than 14 MPH....why not use your playing cue?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The porper tip shaper is actually awesome if used correctly. I haven't found anything better to fix a mushroomed tip by hand.
Agreed. For those that weren't very good with it or new people who want to try one, here is a post I wrote a couple of days ago that offers several tips that will help you have great success with it.

"Even though the Porper Mushroom Grazer allows you to set the depth of the cut, there is enough side to side play and slop in there that it makes it very easy to be able to accidentally tilt the tool at a slight angle if you aren't paying enough attention and being careful enough, and if you do accidentally change the angle you are holding the grazer or the shaft the blade can indeed then easily reach and nick the ferrule. Always holding the grazer at the same angle in relation to the shaft, and keeping a close eye on where the tip of the blade is in relation to the ferrule, is the key to not having any nicked ferrule accidents and if you do that it is very safe.

For those that are the careful types (or at least don't tend to be total klutzes or the type that really rush everything), the Porper Mushroom Grazer is the best tool for trimming the sides of the tip by hand (including on newly installed tips) both in terms of the quality of the results (true lathe quality) and in the speed with which you can get perfect results (total of about a minute after you have done it a couple of times and have the technique down, the first couple of times you will probably take several minutes, especially on a newly installed tip).

The tool even allows you to easily slope the sides of the tip at a slight angle (inward or outward either one) if for some reason you prefer that to having them parallel. One trick is to cut the sides with a slight outward sloping angle because they will end up dead parallel after you burnish the sides good, whereas if you cut them parallel to begin with the sides will often end up sloping inwards after you burnish depending on the tip hardness and how well you burnish.

The blades do dull over time but you can do a fair number of tips before they need replacing. Replacement blades are available and very cheap, and it is quicker and easier to get good results, and accidents are significantly less likely to happen, when using a very sharp blade that cuts very easily and cleanly so I highly suggest people replace them as soon as it is pretty noticeable that it is no longer cutting as easily and cleanly."

Grimper

Predator chalk. It came next day from Amazon. So why not try it. Works great except after about 2 hours of play my hands are dyed blue and I have to vacuum my table. Literally leaves piles of fine dust on hard hits with a soft tip. Had to wash my cue ball 3 times to get that stuff off.
it's definitely the messiest chalk I've ever used!

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once purchased a basic (pre carbon fiber) Cuetec cue. I could not get used to the fiberglass coated shaft . It was my first and last Cuetec.

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once purchased a basic (pre carbon fiber) Cuetec cue. I could not get used to the fiberglass coated shaft . It was my first and last Cuetec.
Working downtown one day couple construction workers were talking about playing pool after work I overheard them say no we can't go there they have a tournament on Tuesdays.

I thought why not. The bar had two 7ft valleys and a glass case with gloves and darts and a cuetec cue.
After checking out the bar cue situation I decided to buy the cuetec. It was different for sure but I manage to win the little 14 man tourney. Cue cost $120 I won $80 I gave the cue to a young kid that didn't have a stick.

xX-Wizard-Xx

i have an Ultimate. it does okay as a shaper and tapper, for anything else its a waste of time. use it all the time.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I tried the jump/break cue with the clear fiber glass.
I’m no gorilla, but I drove the joint into the butt and into the shaft in less than a week.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Forgetabout this stuff

Attachments

• A2C28410-556F-459C-8961-F7504DD947E8.jpeg
    A2C28410-556F-459C-8961-F7504DD947E8.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 65

Greg M

Those bowtie tools. Just not great for English pool or snooker cues in general. The scuffer side is way too gritty. The only good thing about it is the aerator for helping with the compacted chalk on the tip.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I've had good luck with Porter Cut-Rite and the Tip Burnisher. Just gotta wet the edges of the tip and be gentle with the burnisher.

I did order the Longoni mushroom trimmer, so we'll see how that goes.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well a single tool designed to do spicific job, normally does that job fest.

Many great thing that work as advertised, and then crap on info Mercian that don’t.

Tonkin, or was it Ronco Pocket Fisherman was a POS. Sold well, made money, but POS.💩

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Well a single tool designed to do spicific job, normally does that job fest.

Many great thing that work as advertised, and then crap on info Mercian that don’t.

Tonkin, or was it Ronco Pocket Fisherman was a POS. Sold well, made money, but POS.💩
But it fits in your pocket!!!! One never knows when they will get that hankerin' to catch some fish. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I cant be carrying no 6' fishing rod when I visit my parole officer, it may be construed as a weapon and I'd be fixing to get more time. Dang, the Pocket Fisherman is a great invention!!!

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Purchased a 5280 case when I started playing again in 2014 that couldn’t get listed on EBay fast enough