Pool table cleaning

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
My Pool table is covered with Simonis 860 cloth. It is about 18 months old and gets regular play. My initial problem was with one of our cats sharpening claws on the table. I tried leaving large sheets of foil on the table and that worked okay. I'm on my third cover. I hate to have the cover on because I like to be able to walk up and shoot whenever I like. The cat absolutely destroys vinyl table covers in no time. That problem was resolved when I discovered that she loves yoga mats for claw sharpening. I covered a 12"x18" piece of 3/4" plywood with cut to size yoga mat. She never bothers to jump on the table to sharpen claws anymore.
But she does track dirt onto the table and recently she vomited two large puddles and poo sprayed another spot (she was sick). I cleaned off the spew as best I could when it was wet and brushed and vacuumed it when it dried but I was left with three large stains. After some research, I bought a Bissell 3194 pet stain carpet cleaner. Looks like this:
1653081700244.jpeg

Comes with two sample size bottles of cleaner. I used the less potent cleaner by label. The unit has two tanks, a clean hot water tank and a dirty water return tank. Two brushes are included I used the less aggressive of the two. The process is to fill the clean water tank with hot water and cleaner, plug in the unit and hold the nozzle 3" from the surface and spray the area, let stand three minutes, then brush with the brush attached to the nozzle while you vacuum the water back into the return tank. By altering the angle of pressure on the nozzle you can vac more or scrub/brush more.

On my first attempt I used water only and only covered the puke/poo areas. The cloth was noticeably cleaner but had a dirt ring around the edge of the cleaned area. I knew I was going to have to do the entire table. Today I attacked with the previously mentioned cleaning solution and hot water. I did the entire table and It didn't take that long. you can see how much water you are pulling out of the cloth by looking at the flow back into the return tank.

I must admit I am impressed. The cloth is not spotless but the puke/poo areas are completely gone. I'm very satisfied with the job it did.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Major , Howdy;

3rd ex had a cat, tore up just about anything it could to sharpen it's claws.
I found some used carpet and stapled it to both sides of a door frame.
Problem solved. Next step was de-clawing the furball. Something nice an
easy to use as a barrier between cat and cloth would be a shower curtain.
As plane or fancy as you want or wife decrees as suitable. chuckle.

hank

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Major , Howdy;

3rd ex had a cat, tore up just about anything it could to sharpen it's claws.
I found some used carpet and stapled it to both sides of a door frame.
Problem solved. Next step was de-clawing the furball. Something nice an
easy to use as a barrier between cat and cloth would be a shower curtain.
As plane or fancy as you want or wife decrees as suitable. chuckle.

hank
She shreds vinyl. As long as she gets traction from her scratching pad she's good for the claws.
Keep the cat out of the pool table room when you are not using it.
Not an option due to the tropical house layout. The pool room is patio adjacent with no door. She lives in that large room on her couch.
Thanks for the thoughts, both youse guys.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cover the entire table with something waterproof and scratchproof. These plastic panels from Lowe's are the size of a sheet of plywood. It will be a bit of a hassle to slide it off each time but will prevent the cat from ruining the cloth further. If you're lucky the cat might move on after awhile.

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Cover the entire table with something waterproof and scratchproof. These plastic panels from Lowe's are the size of a sheet of plywood. It will be a bit of a hassle to slide it off each time but will prevent the cat from ruining the cloth further. If you're lucky the cat might move on after awhile.
The objective is a clean table, balls racked or scattered, ready to play.
One of my security cameras is strategically placed directly above my table. I like to look at the scattered balls and plan runouts.

As I mentioned the claw sharpening is no longer an issue.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Train your cat to stay off. Never had a problem training cats to stay off furniture, counters, etc...

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Train your cat to stay off. Never had a problem training cats to stay off furniture, counters, etc...
We get closer to that nirvana daily. I never let her stay on the table and I can see it most of the day and night. She gets clocked with a small stuffed toy.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a fake leather cover for your pool table, a good one is under $100.
It will take 2 minutes to fold up and open table.
Or lock the cat out

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had a cat which I don’t and it climbed on my pool table the cat would belong to someone else.

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Buy a fake leather cover for your pool table, a good one is under $100.
It will take 2 minutes to fold up and open table.
Or lock the cat out
But I don't want some funky vinyl fake leather cover on my table and there is no need since she no longer sharpens claws on my table. "Two minutes" is exactly two minutes too long.

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
If I had a cat which I don’t and it climbed on my pool table the cat would belong to someone else.
Never married I take it? No kids who love their pets?

The object of this thread is to inform the reader as to the performance of the Bissell cleaner that resolved the stain issues to my complete satisfaction.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The object of this thread is to inform the reader as to the performance of the Bissell cleaner that resolved the stain issues to my complete satisfaction.
Been married for years, have kids and grandkids. Even had a few pets but never one that I liked enough to let it control my life.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Pool table is covered with Simonis 860 cloth. It is about 18 months old and gets regular play. My initial problem was with one of our cats sharpening claws on the table. I tried leaving large sheets of foil on the table and that worked okay. I'm on my third cover. I hate to have the cover on because I like to be able to walk up and shoot whenever I like. The cat absolutely destroys vinyl table covers in no time. That problem was resolved when I discovered that she loves yoga mats for claw sharpening. I covered a 12"x18" piece of 3/4" plywood with cut to size yoga mat. She never bothers to jump on the table to sharpen claws anymore.
But she does track dirt onto the table and recently she vomited two large puddles and poo sprayed another spot (she was sick). I cleaned off the spew as best I could when it was wet and brushed and vacuumed it when it dried but I was left with three large stains. After some research, I bought a Bissell 3194 pet stain carpet cleaner. Looks like this:
View attachment 642566
Comes with two sample size bottles of cleaner. I used the less potent cleaner by label. The unit has two tanks, a clean hot water tank and a dirty water return tank. Two brushes are included I used the less aggressive of the two. The process is to fill the clean water tank with hot water and cleaner, plug in the unit and hold the nozzle 3" from the surface and spray the area, let stand three minutes, then brush with the brush attached to the nozzle while you vacuum the water back into the return tank. By altering the angle of pressure on the nozzle you can vac more or scrub/brush more.

On my first attempt I used water only and only covered the puke/poo areas. The cloth was noticeably cleaner but had a dirt ring around the edge of the cleaned area. I knew I was going to have to do the entire table. Today I attacked with the previously mentioned cleaning solution and hot water. I did the entire table and It didn't take that long. you can see how much water you are pulling out of the cloth by looking at the flow back into the return tank.

I must admit I am impressed. The cloth is not spotless but the puke/poo areas are completely gone. I'm very satisfied with the job it did.
get rid of the cat. problem solved. ;)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was playing at a neighbors house. My new case was on the floor under the table one of his cats clawed it pretty good.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Photos would have gone a long way in showing this.