Pool Tournaments During COVID Pandemic

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understood that risk is basically lowered but is it enough? If we will mandate masks why are we not then focusing resources on supplying medical grade masks to the people? Studies have proven them to be substantially more effective at preventing virus transmission when used correctly.
Im not so sure about being unlucky - in Vegas we continue to encourage visitors to come here, our economy is dependent on that travel and visitation. The governor has suggested we should go out to work amongst travelers all day long then come home and isolate in our homes the rest of the time. Meanwhile tourists are welcome to continue to bring their infections here. The people that are choosing to visit during this time are perhaps a little less cautious than the average American so that simply heightens the chances that those folks will infect others.

As for the gubment supplying everyone with the best masks, sure, they should do that. As for Vegas being dependent on visitors, the virus does not care. It doesn't care about any city or country being dependent on tourism. It thrives on humans interacting. To beat the virus, humans have to reduce their interaction and also protect themselves and cooperate regarding both until vaccines do their thing, it's pretty simple. The fact that any of us abhor masks and any reduction of personal freedom is an unfortunate reality. The economy will suffer, yes but from what I see, it will be worse if we do nothing and lots of people will have an early death, including those who cooperated with known science.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Personal Choice"

It is amazing how resistant people are to thinking about someone other than themselves

If it is too complicated, this is how my neighbor explained it to her 5-year-old -
I think you are missing most folks point. Most folks I know ARE considerate and think about others above themselves. They, however, don't believe the government has the authority to mandate it....At least that is the way I interpret most anti mask arguments.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on, man. I respect your point, but please at least agree that the term "experts" is laughable.

The experts? Theses are the same "experts" who for some genius reason, stated bars can not serve alcohol after a certain time, as if the virus understands the difference between 10 an 11 pm and whether a patron is having a glass of wine or not?

The same experts who make restaurants and businesses operate at 30 % capacity, but yet 400 people cram into a parking lot at a farmers market, because it is an "outdoor" venue?

The same experts who allowed the local pool hall to only open "every other table" even though, as JAM says, the racks, house cues, balls, bar, bathroom door knobs, etc. haven't been sterilized all night?

JAM also stated that the US is not handling the pandemic as well as other countries...maybe not, but the Netherlands is going into a complete shutdown for the next 5 weeks. Is that the answer?

Me, my wife, and both kids have had it and recovered from it, and we are thankful for that. For us, it was no worse than a very mild case of flu....my 11 year old never had symptoms. But we haven't seen or hugged grandparents or great grandparents since March. That is a family choice we made since they are elderly and high risk.

I think, from being in a classroom around teenagers all day, that wearing a mask gives folks a false sense of security.
Glad that you recovered.
Do you know if you and your family infected anyone.
How did they do?
Did they make it through it like you did?
Did they pass it on to any compromised people in their families.
This is the idea of thinking beyond yourself.
This virus is very high up on the contagious scale.
Yes, it's that simple.

Forget the experts.
Every high school grad should understand germ theory.
It's very basic science and has been around for 160 years.
Not paying attention to it or pooh poohing it is just selfish.

By the way, next time any of you or your family has a surgery please insist that the
surgeon, anesthesiologist, and attending nurses NOT wear a mask as they are a false sense of security.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad that you recovered.
Do you know if you and your family infected anyone.
How did they do?
Did they make it through it like you did?
Did they pass it on to any compromised people in their families.
This is the idea of thinking beyond yourself.
This virus is very high up on the contagious scale.
Yes, it's that simple.

Forget the experts.
Every high school grad should understand germ theory.
It's very basic science and has been around for 160 years.
Not paying attention to it or pooh poohing it is just selfish.

By the way, next time any of you or your family has a surgery please insist that the
surgeon, anesthesiologist, and attending nurses NOT wear a mask as they are a false sense of security.

This post is about makes as much sense as a football bat. How in the world am I supposed to know if I passed it on to anyone else. I suppose there is a chance, even though I wear a mask in school and in public. Furthermore, assuming I did, how the heck am I supposed to understand how they made it through, and if they passed it on to their family?

And please tell me how in the world that john doe wearing his cool skull bandana/ mask is anywhere comparable to a surgeon in a STERILE setting, wearing a SURGICAL mask. I swear, I try to be respectful to all, but I think maybe you halfway read people's posts and then come up with the most irrelevant and silly replies possible. Please stop.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think you are missing most folks point. Most folks I know ARE considerate and think about others above themselves. They, however, don't believe the government has the authority to mandate it....At least that is the way I interpret most anti mask arguments.
The government mandates that we wear seat belts, because it saves lives. The government mandates a host of other things, in the interest of public safety. Yes, they have the authority to mandate this.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post is about makes as much sense as a football bat. How in the world am I supposed to know if I passed it on to anyone else. I suppose there is a chance, even though I wear a mask in school and in public. Furthermore, assuming I did, how the heck am I supposed to understand how they made it through, and if they passed it on to their family?

And please tell me how in the world that john doe wearing his cool skull bandana/ mask is anywhere comparable to a surgeon in a STERILE setting, wearing a SURGICAL mask. I swear, I try to be respectful to all, but I think maybe you halfway read people's posts and then come up with the most irrelevant and silly replies possible. Please stop.
Not everyone does wear masks or distances.
If you go into a poolroom you certainly don't distance.
People visit other people, hang out in poolrooms and restaurants.
Not very smart during a pandemic.

The problem is that the whole world is NOT sterile like an operating room.
Of course you can do what you want.
You and your family did contract it from somewhere.
You could have passed it on.
Hope you and your family isolated.
As highly contagious as this disease is, going to the market is a roll of the dice.
Probably one out of every ten people you see in that market is a carrier.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The government mandates that we wear seat belts, because it saves lives. The government mandates a host of other things, in the interest of public safety. Yes, they have the authority to mandate this.
I am not arguing the point. It does not change the fact that many free Americans don't like the already too intrusive government telling them how to live. Some people like everything to be orderly and by the rules and expect the government to legislate morality and behavior. I get it.

Evidently not everyone agrees. As far as seat belts, that is just another silly, revenue generating law. How many folks riding around on motorcycles have to wear seatbelts?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I am not arguing the point. It does not change the fact that many free Americans don't like the already too intrusive government telling them how to live. Some people like everything to be orderly and by the rules and expect the government to legislate morality and behavior. I get it.

Evidently not everyone agrees. As far as seat belts, that is just another silly, revenue generating law. How many folks riding around on motorcycles have to wear seatbelts?

Yes, because we've certainly determined that Americans as a whole are so very prone to using common sense...what could go wrong? Sure, let's turn it into the Wild West, anything goes...sigh

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Masks work.

As does social distancing, washing your hands, and not touching your face. And though you may have a cavalier, "I want to live my life as a blonde" attitude, you are, potentially, and irresponsibly, putting others at risk. Fortunately, vaccines are soon to become available. Regrettably, they will not protect you from terminal stupidity.

Lou Figueroa
Masks will NOT prevent you from getting the virus. In fact, right on the box of many masks it will state that wearing these masks will not protect you from a virus. While masks may reduce the amount of moisture droplets that a person ejects into the environment, the COVID virus is airborne and will easily pass right out of your mask and into someone else's mask. People that wear masks have a total false sense of security.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ients-reported-wearing-masks-always-or-often/

The 6 foot social distancing guideline is also arbitrary. The studies and information that I read about early on in the pandemic indicated that the virus will travel 15-20 feet from a person that has it. So 6 feet may reduce the chances of transmission somewhat, but again, it actually will not 100% protect you if you stay 6 feet apart. More false sense of security.

What I am totally opposed to, are people that will insist on pointing their finger at OTHERS that choose not to wear a mask or social distance. Like they are the definite cause of someone else getting the virus. If you want a close to zero chance of getting the virus, then stay home. Simple. I personally feel that I've been exposed to the virus, but I take high doses of Vitamin C & D daily, as I feel that these two vitamins at high doses can protect me from becoming symptomatic.

If you think that social distancing and masks actually work, then go ahead and wear masks and social distance yourself. But it's nobody's else's responsibility to ensure your health. So stop trying to blame others, criticize them, and shame them. Worry about yourself and leave everyone else alone.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, because we've certainly determined that Americans as a whole are so very prone to using common sense...what could go wrong? Sure, let's turn it into the Wild West, anything goes...sigh
Again, there are people that feel the wild west would be a much cooler place to live. There are those that are comfortable being told exactly what is acceptable and permissible.

It's when people, from either side of the debate, make up their mind that THEIR opinion is the only right one and that EVERYONE else must believe what they believe, that conflict occurs.

Saw this on another forum: Hypothetical: You walk into a pool room that DOES NOT require masks, and you see people NOT wearing masks. You are nervous about the virus, so do you:

A. Turn around and walk out, thus protecting you and your loved ones, and leaving the unmasked patrons to their business, or
B. Make an announcement to the pool room that everyone not wearing a mask is an idiot and that you are uncomfortable therefore they should put a mask on.

Seems like an easy choice, AND one that can be applied to many social situations.

Last edited:

gerryf

Masks will NOT prevent you from getting the virus. In fact, right on the box of many masks it will state that wearing these masks will not protect you from a virus. While masks may reduce the amount of moisture droplets that a person ejects into the environment, the COVID virus is airborne and will easily pass right out of your mask and into someone else's mask. People that wear masks have a total false sense of security.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ients-reported-wearing-masks-always-or-often/

Breitbart is your source?

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When they cancelled the leagues last April I told myself I'd sit out a year if the pandemic was still raging. It is and I am glad I made that decision. There are a bunch of tournaments I'm missing and many are carrying on like nothing is going on. They've locked down the bars here so the tournaments just moved out of town 30 miles where there are zero restrictions. Even though I shoot at home daily I miss the hell out of it. I will reassess the situation after my one year hiatus. Hopefully I might be vaccinated then.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
gerryf = Breitbart is your source?

Did you open the article? Brietbart is referring to a CDC study. Do you have a problem with the validity of a CDC Study?

surlytempo

The 6 foot social distancing guideline is also arbitrary. The studies and information that I read about early on in the pandemic indicated that the virus will travel 15-20 feet from a person that has it. So 6 feet may reduce the chances of transmission somewhat, but again, it actually will not 100% protect you if you stay 6 feet apart. More false sense of security.

What I am totally opposed to, are people that will insist on pointing their finger at OTHERS that choose not to wear a mask or social distance. Like they are the definite cause of someone else getting the virus. If you want a close to zero chance of getting the virus, then stay home. Simple. I personally feel that I've been exposed to the virus, but I take high doses of Vitamin C & D daily, as I feel that these two vitamins at high doses can protect me from becoming symptomatic.

If you think that social distancing and masks actually work, then go ahead and wear masks and social distance yourself. But it's nobody's else's responsibility to ensure your health. So stop trying to blame others, criticize them, and shame them. Worry about yourself and leave everyone else alone.
uhh, the whole point is to reduce the likelihood of possible transmission. No one with any amount of common sense is making the argument that preventative measures are 100% effective. When you fail to engage in precautionary measures that benefit the safety of others, you are making a willful choice to put your desires above the health and safety of your fellow citizens. There is nothing more antithetical to American principalism than a cavlier disregard for the well being of your nation and fellow citizens. I don't expect you to change your mind, I just want everyone else to recognize what an ignoramus you actually are.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the problem is with the validity of Briebart's interpretation of the (since corrected) study.
gerryf = Breitbart is your source?

Did you open the article? Brietbart is referring to a CDC study. Do you have a problem with the validity of a CDC Study?

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you're okay with it if I'm driving drunk on the same highway late at night as your daughter, sister or mother on her way home? I appreciate that you don't want to tell someone how to live their life. And, that you respect my right to drive drunk. But, I doubt you'd really feel that way if I injured a member of your family while driving drunk.

Yes, people died before and will die after. In fact we all will die oneday. That's different from SENSELESS AND UNNECESSARY DEATH that could be avoided if people with this viewpoint would accept personal responsibility. It's a civic duty as an American.
Tired of this drunk driving comparison. It is not the same. You choose to drink. You do not choose to contract a virus. You may choose to wear a mask. But not wearing one does not put someone at risk, who is not already doing the same thing as you are. You are both at a pool tournament. You both accessed the risks. You both chose to go. One gets covid, whose fault is it? The one's who wore the mask, or the one who attended in a pandemic. You must have some responsibility in your own health. So stop with the drunk driving comparison.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing more antithetical to American principalism than a cavlier disregard for the well being of your nation and fellow citizens.
You just gave me a flashback to 1994 and Medical Ethics with Dr. Mumblesalot. :ROFLMAO: Should have been a fun and interesting class, but wow did he ruin it.