Poolgame: Wizardball

DaWizard

Wizardball - the game where the magic happens

Why a new format?

These days 9-ball is the dominating format. The game of 9-ball rewards basic, fundamental play. And while there’s beauty in a perfect run-out, the game gets exciting when the players take on risky shots or in safety play. 9-ball has improved with the breakbox and some exciting new players are emerging, but to me it can be a bit boring to watch. Therefore I came up with Wizardball! A game that rewards trickery play. A game that you can win on solid fundamentals, but also a well executed trickshot can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat! This is a concept, feedback is welcome. There's no commercial intend, just for fun.

Contents:
1. Wizardball explained
2. Objective of the game and winning a set
3. Breaking and choosing a group (red or blue)
4. Legal shots
5. Everything you need to know about trickshots
6. Scoring points
7. Fouls (= ball in hand) and 'not a foul'
8. Finishing a game (rack)
9. The scoresheet

1. Wizardball explained
The 15 balls are racked just like 8-ball, in the center the purple wizardball. A player breaks from the box and just like 8-ball the players acquire one of the two sets (red or blue). During the game the player pots the balls in numerical order - just like 9-ball - and finishes the game by potting the purple wizardball. During the game players accumulate points in each run. Consecutive pots and trickery play in the run rewards the player with extra points. The player with most points after the wizardball has been potted wins the game.

Image: the 15 balls of Wizardball
wizardball2.jpg

2. Objective of the game and winning a set
In a game of Wizardball the player that has obtained most points after potting the purple 10-ball (the wizardball), wins the rack. Winning a rack usually gives the player 1 gamepoint, unless his score is very high, then 2 or even 3 gamepoints can be won in one game!
The first player to win 3 gamepoints scores a set. In the next set the score is resetted to 0-0. The first player to win two sets wins the match, just like in tennis.

3. Breaking and choosing a group (red or blue)
Lag to determine who breaks, after the first game the player that pots the wizardball breaks the next rack. A player breaks from the box and after contact at least one ball has to make contact with a cushion. Any ball, including the wizardball, that is potted on the break is respotted; in numerical order from the footspot upwards to the center of the table.
8-ball breaking rules apply: if any ball is potted, the table is ‘open’ and the breaking player may continue. By calling and potting a ball the player is assigned the red or blue colors for the rest of the rack.

Image: an example rack
rack3.jpg

4. Legal shots
In an open table all balls are ‘on’, except the wizardball. Once the player has called and potted a ball he has that particular colorgroup assigned to him. From then on any, and only, the remaining balls from that color are ‘on’. Hitting the opponent’s color or the wizardball first is a foul (unless you cleared all your balls, then the wizardball is ‘on’)

A player can make two types of shots to start or continue a run:
  1. Call the ball with the lowest number in a pocket and pot it directly (a regular shot)
  2. Call a ball with lowest or not-the-lowest-number in a pocket and pot it with a trickshot.

5. Everything you need to know about trickshots
A trickshot is any shot that is not a direct shot into a pocket: a jumpshot, masse, bankshot, kickshot, carom, cannon, multi-rail kickshot and so on. To be successful a trickshot has to be called in every aspect and the execution has to be at minimum like it was called.
A trickshot can have a certain complexity. For each added step in complexity the trickshot gains +1 point in complexity. One can use the opponent’s balls or the wizardball in a trickshot, as long as he first hits a ball that is ‘on’.

Added points to complexity: (base score 1)
Bankshot = +1 point. Carom = +1 point. Kickshot = +1 point. Jumpshot = +1 point (a jumpshot has to at least partially jump over a ball)
2 railkickshot = +2 points, 3 railkickshot = +3 points etc.
Jumpshot + carom = +2 points, Double-bankshot = +2 points. Bankshot + carom = +2 points, etc.
A cannon = +1 point for every ball in the cannon.

Calling a trickshot has two parts:
1) telling what will happen and calling a pocket
2) agreeing on the complexity of the shot

It's important to agree on the complexity bonus before shooting. Usually this is very straightforward and obvious. In the more complicated, combined shots it's advised to agree on forehand.

Image: 3 examples of trickshots
example trickshot.jpg

A: a bankshot = +1 complexity (=1+1=2 complexity)
B: a cannon through two balls = + 2 complexity (=1+2=3)
C: a 3 rail kickshot = +3 complexity (=1+3=4)

Fluking a trickshot is legal
A trickshot can be fluked, i.e. end up in the called pocket through other ways than explained on forehand. But it has to be at minimum what the player called. A fluke does not add extra complexity-points.

Image: an example of a legal fluke
examplebank1.jpg

The player intended to bank following path A. The 4 ended up caroming off the 5 in the pocket through path B. The complexity for this shot remains 1+1=2 complexity, because that is what he called. If the player would have called path B it would be a bank + carom = complexity 1+2=3.

Image: example of a legal and illegal fluked trickshot
bad triggg.jpg

If the player calls a simple bankshot (B) and flukes the shot following the path of A, then the fluke is legal. However, the complexity remains +1 (1+1=2 complexity) and not complexity +3, which it would be if the shot was intended that way.
If the player calls the shot according to path A, but makes the shot according to B, the fluke is not a score and the opponent gets to shoot.

6. Scoring points
Players accumulate points during their run. The more balls they pot and the more complex the shots, the higher the points for the run. Every shot is worth a certain amount of shotpoints and the points are noted after a successful shot. When a player misses, the run ends and the shotpoints are added up to see the total of the run.

Calculating shotpoints (the points of a specific shot)
The worth of a shot = V x C x R
V = the value of the ball (i.e. the number on the ball)
C = complexity of the shot (i.e. the sum of complexitypoints)
R = consecutive balls shot in run (i.e. for every successful shot in a run you add +1)

Image: an example of a run of 4 shots
run1.jpg

This is towards the end of the rack. Both players already had a couple small runs, potting most of their balls. Red to shoot.
Shot 1:
V = 4 (the number on the ball is 4)
C = 1 (a simple shot, no complexity bonus)
R = 1 (first shot of the run)
4 x 1 x 1 = 4 points

Shot 2:
V = 7 (the 7 is not the lowest number, but it's allowed because it's a trickshot)
C = 2 (bankshot: 1 + 1 complexity)
R = 2 (second shot of the run)
7 x 2 x 2 = 28 points

Shot 3:
V = 6
C = 1
R = 3 (third shot of the run)
6 x 1 x 3 = 18 points

Shot 4: the player looks at the scoresheet and sees he's trailing by alot. A simple 10 x 1 x 4 = 40 points is not enough. So he needs to make a more complex shot.
V = 10
C = 4 (3 rail kickshot: 1+3 complexity)
R = 4
10 x 4 x 4 points = 160 points

Run total: 4 + 28 + 18 + 160 = 210 points.

7. Fouls (= ball in hand)
  • The cueball scratches or goes off the table
  • An objectball goes off the table (ball is respotted on footspot)
  • The cueball first strikes a ball that is not ‘on’ (an opponent's ball or the wizardball).
  • The cueball doesn’t strike any ball.
  • No cushion is touched after contact between cueball and objectball
  • The player sinks a ball of the opponent or the wizardball without making a shot himself. The ball is respotted.

Not a foul
  • A player calls and makes the shot, in the proces he pots a ball of the opponent. The opponent’s ball remains off the table. The player continues his run.
  • A player calls and makes the shot, in the proces he pots an extra ball that belongs to himself. The sunk ball remains off the table. The player continues the run.
  • A player calls and makes the shot, in the proces he pots the wizardball. The wizardball is respotted. The player continues the run.
  • A player pots his own ball in a different pocket than intended/called. The ball remains off the table, the opponent gets the turn.

8. Finishing a game (rack)
Once a player has potted all his balls the wizardball is last to be potted. Potting the wizardball ends the rack, but does not necessarily win the rack. The player that has accumulated most points after the wizardball has been potted wins the game. So when you reach the last balls it’s recommended to take a look at the score and see if trickshots are needed to surpass the other player’s score.

Scoring big
True magicians can score big if they run many balls and make tricky shots. If the total score surpasses certain limits you can win more than 1 game per rack.

Up to 209 points = 1 game
210 to 250 points = 2 games
250+ points = 3 games and instantly wins the set. Excess games are not transferred, a new set always starts at 0-0.

9. The scoresheet
Here's a scoresheet for one set.
Scorecard22.jpg

Attachments

• example score.jpg
    example score.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

DaWizard

(ran into the 10k character limit) But that's all! I have not had the chance to try it myself because every damn poolhall nearby has closed. Let me know what you think. Will it be fun? What rules need a change? Any feedback welcome.

An example scoresheet
I found two guys that were willing to take a shot at the game and I have to say they were pretty proficient. Here's their scoresheet with some explanation.

example score.jpg

Game 1: Efren had a run of 4 balls, including a bankshot, Francisco a run of 2 balls, including a carom. Francisco had another run of 4 balls, Efren made the 5 ball and then missed the 6. Francisco potted the last two balls, scoring enough to take the first game. 0-1 Francisco.
Game 2: dry break by Francisco. And Efren runs the table! He scores more than 210 points so he gets 2 gamepoints. 2-1 Efren.
Game 3: -
Game 4: Francisco starts with a cannon on the 6 and runs another 3 balls. Efren then runs 5 balls. Francisco makes the 4 but misses the next. Efren banks the 6, pots the 7 but misses the wizardball for the set! Francisco runs pots balls and finishes with a 3-rail kickshot. 2-2
Game 5: a solid break by Francisco and runs 4 balls. Efren banks the 3 and pots the 1. Another run of 3 balls by Francisco. Efren closes the gap with 50 points. A couple safetys where Efren pots the 7 but Francisco manages to pot the wizardball. 3-2 Francisco. 1-0 in sets Francisco.

DaWizard

If it requires people buy a set of balls, it’s doomed.
It could be done with a regular set. Where the 8 = the wizardball and stripes (9=1, 10=2, ...15=7). But it would be better to have a custom set.
I don't expect this to become the next big thing. But I'd love to see the pros have a go at this.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So it's 8ball rotation with traffic...? Honestly, as someone that practices by using 15b rotation. I'd probably not bother with the "Wizard Ball" fluff, and focus on merely running the rack.

Maybe consider adding a rule that a player can only achieve a 'game point' if some trick shot had been played within the rack by them at some point. Otherwise, I don't see the motivation to do so. So, a player can complete the rack but zero points are scored. That way they have the option of resetting the game, but it doesn't effect score.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why not figure a way to use a standard rack.
I basically play this game (without points) with my 8 ball teammates when warming up for league. They miss at some point and I attempt to run my half of the rack in rotation.

Solids = 1-7
Stripes = 9-15

8 ball last in either regard.

No special rack required at all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(ran into the 10k character limit) But that's all! I have not had the chance to try it myself because every damn poolhall nearby has closed. Let me know what you think. Will it be fun? What rules need a change? Any feedback welcome.

An example scoresheet
I found two guys that were willing to take a shot at the game and I have to say they were pretty proficient. Here's their scoresheet with some explanation.

View attachment 694336

Game 1: Efren had a run of 4 balls, including a bankshot, Francisco a run of 2 balls, including a carom. Francisco had another run of 4 balls, Efren made the 5 ball and then missed the 6. Francisco potted the last two balls, scoring enough to take the first game. 0-1 Francisco.
Game 2: dry break by Francisco. And Efren runs the table! He scores more than 210 points so he gets 2 gamepoints. 2-1 Efren.
Game 3: -
Game 4: Francisco starts with a cannon on the 6 and runs another 3 balls. Efren then runs 5 balls. Francisco makes the 4 but misses the next. Efren banks the 6, pots the 7 but misses the wizardball for the set! Francisco runs pots balls and finishes with a 3-rail kickshot. 2-2
Game 5: a solid break by Francisco and runs 4 balls. Efren banks the 3 and pots the 1. Another run of 3 balls by Francisco. Efren closes the gap with 50 points. A couple safetys where Efren pots the 7 but Francisco manages to pot the wizardball. 3-2 Francisco. 1-0 in sets Francisco.
No offense but it looks like you've spent a ton of time in the basement thinking this up. I give it a 1% shot at taking off.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I would think this scoring format would give a huge advantage to the better player? The better player is more likely to be able to string runs together and bank balls in, leading to an insurmountable early lead in points? The lesser player would have to make incredible trick shots to catch up, which isn't likely to happen.

But it's always good to share ideas.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There should be a deduction or foul if an opponent plays defensively.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who do you see as the primary customer for this game?

It appears too hard for the average player -- think APA 2-3. It is not interesting to the top ten players in a pool hall because all the tournaments they play in are 8- or 9-ball.

Have you gotten a room to have a tournament of this game?

DaWizard

So it's 8ball rotation with traffic...? Honestly, as someone that practices by using 15b rotation. I'd probably not bother with the "Wizard Ball" fluff, and focus on merely running the rack.

Maybe consider adding a rule that a player can only achieve a 'game point' if some trick shot had been played within the rack by them at some point. Otherwise, I don't see the motivation to do so. So, a player can complete the rack but zero points are scored. That way they have the option of resetting the game, but it doesn't effect score.
It basically is! (8 ball rotation with traffic). With rules that reward the type of shots we see in highlight reels. At the same time I want it to have safety play and runs. But these runs require very precise play as it's pretty difficult to run a table in 8ball rotation with traffic. But if players do, that's great! That is a display of excellent cuemanship.

I've considered setting complexity to zero! But then the player is not rewarded for making runs (as every shot = 0 points). The goal of the pointsystem is that runs are rewarded and trickshots. And if you combine it you can score big.
And independently: a solid run can win a game, or a hail mary trickshot.

Good feedback, food for thought, thanks.