Poolology and the Spot Shot

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... resulting in a much thinner hit than a 1/2 ball. Add the reduced CIT on account of the outside spin, and that 1/2 ball shot turns out a 1/4 ball result. ..

I was commenting on the notion that throw alone could convert a half-ball hit into a 45° cut. You're suggesting that the hit itself may have been thinner than half-ball.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was commenting on the notion that throw alone could convert a half-ball hit into a 45° cut. You're suggesting that the hit itself may have been thinner than half-ball.

Right I was just saying that maybe that's what is really happening, a combination of throw and deflection/squirt instead of throw alone. Without a good slow motion video capturing the exact point of contact, it's iffy to determine whether or not the CB strikes a perfect 1/2 ball shot. More than likely it's thinner than a 1/2, like a 3/8, but would look like a 1/2 ball hit to the eyes.

Like a spot shot, or any other known fractional hit setup on the table using the Poolology method, the only sure way to know you're sending the CB to the appropriate spot to produce the desired hit is to shoot above center (or at least on vertical centerline) and allow the CB to roll true down the aim line. And even then you could be off a mouse hair to the left or right.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a conglomeration of gobbledy-gook, in my opinion.
Calculate this, calculate that, "get out the protractor", do some trig, check out the zones, study the degrees, etc. etc.
It's a wonder anybody cluttering up their mind with this stuff ever makes a ball.
Does anyone think that a 17 year old girl, Chezka Centeno from the Phillipines goes through this nonsense? (she isn't old enough to have "hit the strangely elusive million balls").
Wonder if bullseye shooter Ronnie O'Sullivan, the snooker boss, calculates all this stuff?
Or SVB, or Strickland, or Wiley, or Orcullo, or any of the other pro players. Even the top league amateur players would run from this like the sheriff was after them. Even that old dead fats guy who "never lost a match for the cash in his life". :shakehead:
Madness, in my opinion.

It seems mad to obsess over these things, but a lot of what the best of the best do and have done they can't explain. So why not try to figure out more of what's going on? And maybe understanding more and seeing things from various perspectives can make us all better. It makes it more fun to analyze and find new ways of approaching these things. There are more levels of beauty to the sport for me by doing this. Unlike many, I don't care who beats me or who I beat. I just want to get better and help others to get better.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calculate this, calculate that, "get out the protractor", do some trig, check out the zones, study the degrees, etc. etc.
It's a wonder anybody cluttering up their mind with this stuff ever makes a ball.
Does anyone think that a 17 year old girl, Chezka Centeno from the Phillipines goes through this nonsense? (she isn't old enough to have "hit the strangely elusive million balls").
Wonder if bullseye shooter Ronnie O'Sullivan, the snooker boss, calculates all this stuff?
Or SVB, or Strickland, or Wiley, or Orcullo, or any of the other pro players. Even the top league amateur players would run from this like the sheriff was after them. Even that old dead fats guy who "never lost a match for the cash in his life". :shakehead:
Madness, in my opinion.

You are right. No need to concern yourself with angles an throw calculations. If you can divide a number in half, then Poolology is for you. Several people have mentioned that finding a half ball hit will give you a good reference point, and that you just have to learn what path the ob takes when you hit a half ball hit. If you can recognize that, you can adjust from there on back cuts. I think the thing many people here don't realize is that if you can divide a number in half, then Poolology TELLS YOU whether the shot can be pocketed with a half ball hit or not. You can use Poolology like a half ball hit detector. You'll know quickly whether it is half ball, or maybe a little thinner or thicker.

It's simple and gives you a head start on learning the cuts intuitively, and I don't see anything else out there that can give you an objective reference like that.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Madness, in my opinion.

Not sure what you are ranting about, considering no one here has posted anything about calculations or trig or zones, etc... There was some talk of observed effects concerning throw and english, but no talk of mathematically cluttered minds. Lol

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Madness, in my opinion.

I'm sure Chezka (and most young pros) aim using a system someone showed them that they have absolute faith in. Whether it's aiming at the shadows or CPTCP or using the edges of the cuestick. Or - more likely - a system that I've never heard of.

I have discovered a couple of systems that work like magic - haven't shared them because they would be torn apart and then I would lose faith in them. Or just get frustrated trying to explain them.

Once a system is distilled down to it's parts, it's easy to remember, use and apply. A 17 y.o. with miles of practice and great intuitive grasp of pool can make it look effortless and like they aren't using a system.

Finding a system - which is what many on this thread are doing - requires mathematics, physics and a good knowledge of where errors are introduced into the process and how they compound or cancel each other out.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have discovered a couple of systems that work like magic - haven't shared them because they would be torn apart and then I would lose faith in them. Or just get frustrated trying to explain them.

No Kidding! Such a shame you don't feel comfortable to post what you know or experimenting with. I was hoping AZB was all about that.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Kidding! Such a shame you don't feel comfortable to post what you know or experimenting with. I was hoping AZB was all about that.

I shared a few years ago. I was told they were impossible or had been around forever. I just done feel like arguing or putting forth the effort it would take to describe them - need pictures and drawings - only to get involved in a big bickering match. Plus they are probably not so robust once everyone starts picking at them. They work for me though. :)