Pool's Coolest & Most Colorful Nicknames

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Good catch... and Alex has proven to be a competitive One Pocket player. I know of two great matches he had against Efren at the Derby.

I sent in the request to have the 'nicknames' updated with your info to One Pocket.org

srs314 said:
Alex "The Lion" Pagulayan

I can't imagine how that one was missed, it's also not on the onepocket.org list?

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had the good fortune to see Rotation Slim play in the middle sixties. he impressed the hell outa me then and now that i know what pool is all about,i'm even more amazed. he made shots that were un freaking believable. his uncle shoots with us at our local hall.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Some old time names:

Brooklyn Jimmy
Connecticut Johnny
Harry the Russian
Seattle Slim

There are many more in Ned Polsky's book Hustlers, Beats and Others. One of the "monikers" he mentions is Fats. That was Minnesota Fats before he pulled off the greatest hustle of all time, convincing the world he was the real Minnesota Fats of the book and movie.

My favorite name remains Fast Eddie. I wonder if Walter Tevis (the author of The Hustler) made up the name, or whether there was a Fast Somebody in the old days that he knew about.

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??????????

The "Cocaine Kid", Bad-Hand Dave, Dangerous Dan the Airplane Man an Knoxville Bear.......Hey Its an unlimited game..............
Pinocchio

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Boy Samson - Rodolfo Luat
The Rattlesnake - Leonardo Andam
Django - Francisco Bustamante

The Magician - Efren Reyes - most coolest of them
all in my book! And I kid you not!

:)

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
"Viper"...................Melissa Little
"Irish Invader".........Karen Corr
"Texas Tornado"......Vivian Villareal
"Slegehammer"........Helena Thornfeldt
"Omaha Fats"..........Fat Marty Kaman
"South Dakota Kid"...SVB

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
Here's some I didn't see:

Sarah "Heartbreaker" Rousey
"Gentleman" John Schmidt (aka Mr 400)
"Rocket" Rodney Morris
"Buddy the Rifleman" Hall
Tony "The Tiger" Chohan
Mike "Tennessee Tarzan" Massey
Vivian "Texas Tornado" Villareal

Jim

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Johnny "The Velvet Foghorn" OR "The Brooklyn Flash" Ervolino
Bill "Chicken Man" Dunsmore
Richie "Mr 9-Ball" Ambrose

And for you old school west coasters;
Al "The Plumber" Wichenbaugh

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry the ronnie wiseman thing is older(alex p used to sing that to tony watson guys forgot shannon the cannon?
ginky?
neptune joe frady

Last edited:

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
As for the original post list of this thread, I thought it was actually Buddy "The Rifleman" Hall.

There's a guy at the bar tourney they call "The Louisiana Kid."

One guy actually called me a "Guerilla" because I tend to have this odd ability to make a comeback, later saying I came out of nowhere like a crazy Viet Cong. I'm still trying to figure it out. Maybe it's because it takes me longer to warm up than everybody else. It happened when I was down 1-4 in a race to six, then somehow found a way to put together 5 in a row. It didn't stick. Maybe it will make it's round and stay. It's so fitting because I'm Asian. I liked it so much I put it under my handle. Lol.

More like my stroke is the Guerilla. I walk into the pool hall without it half the time and it makes spurratic rapid fire appearances, stunning my opponents, then disappearing into the night, without a trace. Now, if I could just time it right, I'd make some fat money on the cloth... poo. Lol.

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Here are a few more.

Wild Wild Wes
Preacher
Deathball
Joe Cadillac
Side Winder Johnny
Okinawa Slim
Watusi Slim
Monster John
Kid Delicious

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Nicknames

"Tuscaloosa Squirrel" always seemed the most interesting nickname in pool to me, but I have not heard them all.

Nice idea.
You might consider sorting them alphabetically.

This could be expanded to the bigger than life stories of how these nicknames were earned.

BooBoo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How bout "Da Tuna" and another guy we had called sleepy. Don't forget the Babe either.