Poor Losers Refuse to Shake Your Hand When Beat

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
At least its not those creepy, fake hugs like they do after a basketball game.

YUK.

Jeff Livingston

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have refused to shake hands with "Dave", and choose to fist bump instead after he crushed my hand the first time we played.

My first night of league a couple years ago, I had a very nice out and a big win. My opponent was obviously upset and refused my handshake. Maybe she thought I shouldn't be in the B league.

In a local tournament that I help with, I really dislike it that one player will shake hands after every game. Geez, wait until the match is over.. time is short, keep it moving... I had to switch the winner and loser on the bracket after the first time it happened.

I think the fist bump is a completely acceptable alternative if you have that type of relationship with your opponent. In most instances it's friendly and much more casual. Sort of like the Norm and Cliff hug from Cheers, it's a sign of respect and affection.

How about the hand shake where you've just beat someone that has just played so poorly that they are angry, so when you extend your hand they make some callous comment and sort of grab your hand and throw it back at you, a kind of pseudo - get the Fu#! away hand shake, hate that guy

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
When I beat a cheater in a match, I shake their hand and if they give me that "you shouldn't have won look", I give them that "knowing nod" for added measure.

If I lose, to a cheater in a match, I still shake their hand and still give them that "knowing nod" but before that, when I catch them cheating I loudly lambaste them when it happens. (Most of the time, the lambasting is like water on a duck's back, but it gives me satisfaction for calling them out. Lol)

JoeyA

Sometimes the problem is the thieving, cheating winner. No matter how good a sport you are, there are a few people whose hands just shouldn't be shaken. Fortunately, I don't recall any opponent of mine quite that bad in tournaments. Well, maybe one, but he didn't win, so he got a handshake.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Let's be honest, the winner isn't being a good sport by shaking your hand, he's rubbing it in.

I just got beat, why the hell do you want to come over and shake my hand? You won, good job... get away from me.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I think the fist bump is a completely acceptable alternative if you have that type of relationship with your opponent. In most instances it's friendly and much more casual. Sort of like the Norm and Cliff hug from Cheers, it's a sign of respect and affection.

How about the hand shake where you've just beat someone that has just played so poorly that they are angry, so when you extend your hand they make some callous comment and sort of grab your hand and throw it back at you, a kind of pseudo - get the Fu#! away hand shake, hate that guy

Those kind of people actually make me laugh. I try to suppress my laughter for the most part but I find those kind of people kind of funny.

JoeyA

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Think that hand shake thing is more of a league thing. If I lose gambling, or win I've no interest in hand shake and the old "good match" comments. Of course I mostly play people I've known for years.

League, and some small tournaments yes. What I hate is the people that throw a fit and tell you how you shouldn't of beat them. Miss less and you won't have that problem.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
Has a league match a couple months ago against a better player. He was laying down, and I got ahead 4-1 in a race to 5. At first he was bumping balls around and trying to open up his clusters, but his safe's weren't working. When he had a chance to run, he was 'missing' safe.

He acted annoyed to have to rack for a 5th time, so I asked him if he was going to play or quit. He made a comment about me playing safe instead of trying to run out. I told him "That's MY game. I just want YOUR best. Stop laying down."

Ooops!

Next three racks he started getting safe off the cluster breaks, crazy touch banks, and getting out from everywhere. I started asking myself what the hell was I thinking challenging him for his best game.

At 4-4, we had a problem rack after his break. I survived the safety battle. He started walking out the door as I made the layup on the key ball before I sunk the 8. No handshake. No acknowledgement. All around poor sport.

As I was leaving the bar, he was outside smoking. He gave me a little smirk and mumbled something, and it was on! In short, called him a poor sport and got a similar smirk.

Then, I called him a proper c**t. He had no reply.

MiniSkittle

Registered
Many posts in this thread illustrate what I've thought for a while now. Guys love to whine about the state of the game and debate why pool is dying, etc.

The problem with pool is the people who play it.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
this thread is exactly why i only play with gamblers for decent amounts of money, that win or lose and just leave after its completely over.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has a league match a couple months ago against a better player. He was laying down, and I got ahead 4-1 in a race to 5. At first he was bumping balls around and trying to open up his clusters, but his safe's weren't working. When he had a chance to run, he was 'missing' safe.

He acted annoyed to have to rack for a 5th time, so I asked him if he was going to play or quit. He made a comment about me playing safe instead of trying to run out. I told him "That's MY game. I just want YOUR best. Stop laying down."

Ooops!

Next three racks he started getting safe off the cluster breaks, crazy touch banks, and getting out from everywhere. I started asking myself what the hell was I thinking challenging him for his best game.

At 4-4, we had a problem rack after his break. I survived the safety battle. He started walking out the door as I made the layup on the key ball before I sunk the 8. No handshake. No acknowledgement. All around poor sport.

As I was leaving the bar, he was outside smoking. He gave me a little smirk and mumbled something, and it was on! In short, called him a poor sport and got a similar smirk.

Then, I called him a proper c**t. He had no reply.

Do you know for a fact he was laying down? Is it possible he was off? Cause, from the story you tell here there was absolutely one person who was a poor sport, or a "proper c**t" as you say and that'd be you.

You're lambasting the guy and then ask him if he's "going to play or quit", that's you starting the problem in this match, not him. Think about it from the other person's perspective. He's telling his buddies "I was playing this guy and I'm off and then he comes up to me when he's up 4-1 and asks if I'm going to play or quit!! And that he wants my best game. Well he gets the best of me 5-4 so when match is over I bolt, I don't want to shake hands with a jackass like that".

Just saying, perspective.

Reactions: KRJ

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually offer a handshake before a match and also acknowledge their name. When your playing teams in Vegas and have no clue who is who on the other team, I've found it saved us many times. It sucks when you find out mid-game that you are playing the wrong guy.....just sayin...
As far as after the game, I always offer a hand but if their body language shows they are not interested, I drop it. No big deal and I won't lose sleep over it. Some players are hand shakers and others are not, just different strokes....

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
this thread is exactly why i only play with gamblers for decent amounts of money, that win or lose and just leave after its completely over.

The problem with this is for gambling pool players it's the same with sex, you blow your wad (usually all at once), you pay up, and leave.
In league we shake hands, we might hug, have a drink, maybe we talk briefly about our equipment, we might even discuss a little about next time.
But sometimes it's quick and dirty, angry, maybe a little painful. Sometimes it's with someone you don't like but have always wanted to play,
and if it was good you might do it again afterwards, but on a different table and sometimes they invite their friends.
See? Just like sex for the non gambling pool player, think of it as League Sex.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with this is for gambling pool players it's the same with sex, you blow your wad (usually all at once), you pay up, and leave.
In league we shake hands, we might hug, have a drink, maybe we talk briefly about our equipment, we might even discuss a little about next time.
But sometimes it's quick and dirty, angry, maybe a little painful. Sometimes it's with someone you don't like but have always wanted to play,
and if it was good you might do it again afterwards, but on a different table and sometimes they invite their friends.
See? Just like sex for the non gambling pool player, think of it as League Sex.

Too, too funny really. That is why I only do a high five on both fronts lololol

JC

Coos Cues
It's the short shakers that piss me off the most.

They have mastered that slight of hand move where just as your two hands are closing on one another they pull theirs back slightly to avoid your palm and just catch your fingers at the fist knuckles so they can apply pressure and make you uncomfortable with what would normally be just a firm handshake.

A good slap in the mouth with your free hand would probably break them of thinking this move is slick.

JC

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no handshake

If I don't like you, I don't want to shake hands.
If I am particularly germophobic, which I am mostly these days, I don't want to shake hands. Keep your cooties to yourself.

Do you like a limp handshake? Check out some of Earl's handshakes in some of his losing matches. I think they should ban handshakes. It's easier for the winner to extend his hand anyway. Call me what you will; I don't like shaking hands. I want to run to the bathroom to wash my hands with lots of soap immediately after, if I slip and forget not to shake hands. Cooties make me sick.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always say, "Thanks for the action." Win or lose.

If they like it great, if they don't like it, that's okay too. I say it for me, not for them.

I wish you all the best of rolls,

Ken

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
Do you know for a fact he was laying down? Is it possible he was off? Cause, from the story you tell here there was absolutely one person who was a poor sport, or a "proper c**t" as you say and that'd be you.

You're lambasting the guy and then ask him if he's "going to play or quit", that's you starting the problem in this match, not him. Think about it from the other person's perspective. He's telling his buddies "I was playing this guy and I'm off and then he comes up to me when he's up 4-1 and asks if I'm going to play or quit!! And that he wants my best game. Well he gets the best of me 5-4 so when match is over I bolt, I don't want to shake hands with a jackass like that".

Just saying, perspective.

Good point, but the guy is a frequent dump and on a team with the same reputation and a need to hold handicaps before the regional tournament. But besides that, I kept my mouth shut until AFTER he opened his and gave the lip to me. I didn't just taunt the guy with the "play or quit;" it was a response to his comments on my play before he racked the 6th. Win or lose, I'd have been extending my hand.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I always say, "Thanks for the action." Win or lose.

If they like it great, if they don't like it, that's okay too. I say it for me, not for them.

I wish you all the best of rolls,

Ken

See....... gamblers sex. "Thanks for the action" like I enjoyed it,
I don't really care whether or not you did, I feel satisfied.
("How 'bout it Tedy KGB, you feelin' satisfied now?", I love that line)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If I don't like you, I don't want to shake hands.
If I am particularly germophobic, which I am mostly these days, I don't want to shake hands. Keep your cooties to yourself.

Do you like a limp handshake? Check out some of Earl's handshakes in some of his losing matches. I think they should ban handshakes. It's easier for the winner to extend his hand anyway. Call me what you will; I don't like shaking hands. I want to run to the bathroom to wash my hands with lots of soap immediately after, if I slip and forget not to shake hands. Cooties make me sick.

Not to make light of your concerns, I have to ask, how do you open a door? rest your hands on the bar/counter when ordering, anywhere? The pool balls themselves, they're touched by that very same opponent you refuse to shake hands with, the rack too. A bridge, likely as well.

Again, I'm not trying to demean your concern, I just don't understand it.

I wash my hands, fairly often. Cuz my hands touch stuff, fairly often.