Poor Sportsmanship Engages Monster Mode

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm a good sportsman, I treat everyone with respect and I just have fun playing pool. I'll cheer on their good shots, good leaves, lucky rolls etc (not out loud or anything, just in my own head). I might tell them what an awesome shot they made after the game. I genuinely enjoy seeing pool played and good or interesting shots being made. And look forward to shaking their hands and saying good game if I win or lose. I thank my competition because without them, the game is a lot less interesting. I enjoy seeing them smile from a particularly good shot or lucky series of events.

I've been thinking lately about some experiences I've had with people trying to shark me, cheating, being downright shady, changing rules after the game starts, being poor sportsman etc.

If I'm playing normally, I just play without too much strategy or worrying about my opponent. I play my best but I don't really worry about where their balls are too much. If I play against someone doing the stuff in the previous paragraph, I turn into a monster. I just try to absolutely suffocate them on the table. I'm not like this normally in anything in life, but once someone starts trying some shady stuff, badmouthing, talking crap, trying to act like a hot shot, it's like I smell blood in the water and it's on.

I'm not normally the best player or anything, but once this starts, I'll just make absolutely sure they can't win. I can instantly understand their weaknesses, how to cut off any routes to pocketing balls. I'll re-arrange their balls into horrible clusters, bunt my balls in front of their only open pocket, leave them traps to scratch, leave them easy shots with no chance of a follow up, knock their balls in "accidentally" after pocketing my own ball, etc. It's just an absolute suffocating style of play. I'll make sure they can't win and use any legal means on the table to do so. I want to see the hubris leave their body and their eyes just dim. It sounds silly and probably borderline psychotic but I want to drop a lesson on them and maybe feed them a bit of humble pie. My hope it will teach them a lesson about being poor sports and knock their cockiness down a notch or two.

So what is this? Is this the winning mindset? Petty spitefulness? I'm honestly not sure, but what is this mind state even called? Once I'm in it, it's similar to being in the zone, but in an entirely different manner. It's basically how can I make the entire table a "bad roll" for them. I honestly don't like myself like this, but against some cheating ass poor sport, I just get in this state. I'm never like this to good sports or random people but if someone pushes the right buttons, they aren't going to enjoy their time at the table. I'll still be a good sport and play fairly and not talk trash or anything, but just pull away any hope of them winning and let them stew about their "bad luck" for the whole time. The last shot I shoot just might rocket into the pocket at 100mph for the really egregious offenders.

I was just free wheeling and playing for fun at a local bar and some dude beat me and started just being cocky as hell and talking crap. I made him look like he never picked up a stick before in our subsequent games. I've noticed it's easier to get into this state if a player is much better than me, but the main key is they have to be a poor sport, super cocky, cheating, trying to shark me, etc. I can shut off my senses to the point that no sharking can work but it just motivates me to figuratively choke the life out of them on the table.

Do you guys have any similar experiences or stories? How do you deal with poor sports? Let's hear some times you remember smelling blood in the water!:grin:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fer sher
prefer to move around the ornery
(I can tap dance with the best of'm)
but if it comes down to one of us? me or them?
slap leather!
and when the smoke clears
look'm in the eye and give um a firm grip
n that's that:cool:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think competitive contempt should be there by default. Call it seasoning; as in iron cookware. Veteran competers would have this tempered and scaled to situation but it'll always be there.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did an experiment once Where I decided to hate everyone I was playing against and wanted to beat them so bad they would quit playing pool. I refused to talk to my opponents other than necessary things like calling shots, etc...

I played better and win more than usual by a lot.

But it wasn’t really fun for me. I did it for about a week and won 4 tournaments. Then I shifted back to being happy and cheerful. Didn’t win as much but had more fun.

I think so called natural competitors like Tiger Woods, SVB, Ben Hogan and Earl Strickland have this natural animosity towards their opponents and have to learn how to reign it in and focus on keeping it to during matches and try not to let it bubble into all their interactions with fans and other players.

People like me who are not natural competitors like that have to try and turn it on during their matches.

I’m naturally competitive but just not to that degree. If that makes sense.

I have a tendency to keep it social in leagues and weekly tournaments so I need to focus on really bringing the heat when I’m competing.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a good sportsman, I treat everyone with respect and I just have fun playing pool. I'll cheer on their good shots, good leaves, lucky rolls etc (not out loud or anything, just in my own head). I might tell them what an awesome shot they made after the game. I genuinely enjoy seeing pool played and good or interesting shots being made. And look forward to shaking their hands and saying good game if I win or lose. I thank my competition because without them, the game is a lot less interesting. I enjoy seeing them smile from a particularly good shot or lucky series of events.

I've been thinking lately about some experiences I've had with people trying to shark me, cheating, being downright shady, changing rules after the game starts, being poor sportsman etc.

If I'm playing normally, I just play without too much strategy or worrying about my opponent. I play my best but I don't really worry about where their balls are too much. If I play against someone doing the stuff in the previous paragraph, I turn into a monster. I just try to absolutely suffocate them on the table. I'm not like this normally in anything in life, but once someone starts trying some shady stuff, badmouthing, talking crap, trying to act like a hot shot, it's like I smell blood in the water and it's on.

I'm not normally the best player or anything, but once this starts, I'll just make absolutely sure they can't win. I can instantly understand their weaknesses, how to cut off any routes to pocketing balls. I'll re-arrange their balls into horrible clusters, bunt my balls in front of their only open pocket, leave them traps to scratch, leave them easy shots with no chance of a follow up, knock their balls in "accidentally" after pocketing my own ball, etc. It's just an absolute suffocating style of play. I'll make sure they can't win and use any legal means on the table to do so. I want to see the hubris leave their body and their eyes just dim. It sounds silly and probably borderline psychotic but I want to drop a lesson on them and maybe feed them a bit of humble pie. My hope it will teach them a lesson about being poor sports and knock their cockiness down a notch or two.

So what is this? Is this the winning mindset? Petty spitefulness? I'm honestly not sure, but what is this mind state even called? Once I'm in it, it's similar to being in the zone, but in an entirely different manner. It's basically how can I make the entire table a "bad roll" for them. I honestly don't like myself like this, but against some cheating ass poor sport, I just get in this state. I'm never like this to good sports or random people but if someone pushes the right buttons, they aren't going to enjoy their time at the table. I'll still be a good sport and play fairly and not talk trash or anything, but just pull away any hope of them winning and let them stew about their "bad luck" for the whole time. The last shot I shoot just might rocket into the pocket at 100mph for the really egregious offenders.

I was just free wheeling and playing for fun at a local bar and some dude beat me and started just being cocky as hell and talking crap. I made him look like he never picked up a stick before in our subsequent games. I've noticed it's easier to get into this state if a player is much better than me, but the main key is they have to be a poor sport, super cocky, cheating, trying to shark me, etc. I can shut off my senses to the point that no sharking can work but it just motivates me to figuratively choke the life out of them on the table.

Do you guys have any similar experiences or stories? How do you deal with poor sports? Let's hear some times you remember smelling blood in the water!:grin:

Bad behavior usually breeds worse behavior , or everyone with any sense gets as far away from you as possible. Life is short, if you deal with bottom feeders, you will eventually become diseased.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think so called natural competitors like Tiger Woods, SVB, Ben Hogan and Earl Strickland have this natural animosity towards their opponents and have to learn how to reign it in and focus on keeping it to during matches and try not to let it bubble into all their interactions with fans and other players.

The best example of this would be Micheal Jordan. The man dreamed up animosity toward his opponents to fuel his will to win.

Personally I have always had two gears. "Fun" and "step on throat". What I learnt from years of playing was the ability to either cruise in "fun" mode throughout, or switch into "step on throat" only when it was my turn at the table.

To each their own, but what you have coined "Monster Mode", I consider just trying to win. I enjoy nothing more than asserting my will on the table to those who believe they can beat me.

I enjoy playing poor sports honestly. Nothing better than letting them run with their antics and show them that an actual player won't be phased by it. I've never been the type to reciprocate bad sportsmanship. Rather lead by example. ...and generally that example is how to crush someone's spirits...lol

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

You forgot twirling your cue.

Sent from the future.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the misbehaving thing is a reality when you play in Bar Tournment, people drink too much sometimes and get out of control.

It upset em when they loose, or their opponent shoot a good safety they can do nothing with.

Bad Sportsmenship yes, or just SHARK you trying to get in your head.

That is one of the reason I gave up on Bar Tournment at night, too much drama. When it no fun, time to stay home and watch TV.

No one comes home with pocket full of money from most Bar Tournment, when you do the math most time it not even worth what you migh win. Why have the aggravation?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But what if the other guy pretends to hate you equally and at the exact time?

What the fukc you gon do now? Ya done dropped yuh pistol when ya busted out da window.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see an issue with behaving like a gentleman and playing the game hard, "monster style".

This is exactly my favorite type of person to play against! Challenge me to rise up and play as well as I know how.... no hard feelings whatsoever.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't play a-holes. Not worth it.

Regarding your statement you are a sportsman in the black neighborhood in North St Louis among the previous generation the term sportsman was a precursor to the term player. A sportsman was a guy who liked the ladies. I knew a guy who boasted he had 9 kids with 8 women - and he was married. 2 kids with his wife, 7 with 7 different women.

Regarding your topic I'd have to be desperate for cash to play an a-hole.