Porper B Q Lathe Maintenance

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a used Proper B lathe and I did not get any information on maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain this?

In the past I worked as an employee in a pool hall and someone else handled the maintenance so I am really not sure where to go there.

Thanks!
Jesse

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had one for 15 years and would also like to know as I have yet to perform any maintenance at all.

str8shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I replaced the spindle,2 bearings,and brass pinion gear but my model B is one of the first 150 built so it has some years on it and was neglected by the previous owner.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the bearings are exposed to sawdust and sanding dust it will surely absorb the oil on them so make sure they stay lubricated. Beyond that, just keep the ways and the feed mechanism clean and well lubed as well.

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had my Porper since 1998 and have had the on off switch break on it. Other than that it's been working fine.
I work about 40 tournaments a year with this machine.
I do take my machine apart when i get home from events to check everything over for worn or damaged parts, wiring,. Lube it up when I put it back together.
I have a second Porper for a back up and I have had to use it the one time the switch went out on my main lathe.
No to bad for 15 years.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a used Proper B lathe and I did not get any information on maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain this?

In the past I worked as an employee in a pool hall and someone else handled the maintenance so I am really not sure where to go there.

Thanks!
Jesse

14 seconds on Google yielded:

Creative Inventions
9142-44 Jordan Ave
Chatsworth CA 91311

818-727-7966
FAX 818-727-9076
Toll Free 1-800-388-5132<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I can't imagine they wouldn't spend a few moments conveying a bit of
guidance... or maybe sell you a manual.

Dale

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I have called them several times, and spent way more than 14 seconds. Never got any info of value at all. Besides even if I had isn't this a forum for sharing different ideas? Not everything that works best comes out of a manual. smh

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks much! Is there a particular lube you have found that works best?

I have had my Porper since 1998 and have had the on off switch break on it. Other than that it's been working fine.
I work about 40 tournaments a year with this machine.
I do take my machine apart when i get home from events to check everything over for worn or damaged parts, wiring,. Lube it up when I put it back together.
I have a second Porper for a back up and I have had to use it the one time the switch went out on my main lathe.
No to bad for 15 years.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I have called them several times, and spent way more than 14 seconds. Never got any info of value at all. Besides even if I had isn't this a forum for sharing different ideas? Not everything that works best comes out of a manual. smh

You might have mentioned that.

I am stunned they would not give even a hint.

What did they say to you?

Besides, if you are asking advice on how to maintain a cue lathe,
Then you really need to read a manual FIRST - IMHO.

Dale

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Referred me to muellers who seem to be extraordinarily disorganized

There is not much needed in way of maintenance but;

Make sure you keep some lube on the rails and the feed screw. I use grease on the feed screw and way oil on the rails.

Every so often you can take the machine apart to inspect the brass gears for signs of wear. Replace if needed.

In time, the brushes in the electric motors may wear out, as they do in any electric motor. I had mine for several years before that happened. I don't think it is necessary to tear the machine apart to check them, though.

Check the drive belts for cracking. A little belt dressing can be used.

Always check set screws on everything to make sure they are tight. I've never had one work loose but it is good habit to form.

Next time you call Muellers in regards to the Model B, make sure you ask to speak with me. The people that answer the phones are very well trained but there are 7000 items in stock and I don't have time to train them in the inter-workings of a lathe. :cool:

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. Ryan do you recommend any specific brands of lube/oil? I appreciate you all taking your time to reply.

Just to clarify all of my other transactions with Muellers have been ok. Just seemed like no one know who to refer me to regarding this. I should be careful what I say when frustrated do not want to have a reputable company take a hit due to my rantings lol

Jesse

Last edited:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
No worries. I actually use little Slick 50 on mine but I'm sure just about anything would work. It doesn't take a lot.