Practice Video's of yourself

ShootingArts said:
You could probably score a tens unit or similar device on the fly for the back if you don't already have one.
Hu

What in the hell is a 'tens unit'?

Thanks, WW
 
Andrew Manning said:
So what you're saying is your shooting shoulder is outside the cue instead of over top of it. You can bring the shoulder into place by freezing in your stance, keeping the cue, your head, and your bridge arm stationary, and swivelling your hips away from the cue. Moving your hips away like that will turn your torso and your shoulders and will pull the shooting shoulder back in line with the cue, to enable the textbook shoulder/elbow/hand alignment you want. You may have to change your foot position to achieve the hip position you need, in which case go ahead, but make sure to make the new foot position is one that keeps your center of gravity balanced over your feet.

-Andrew

Sounds like the same thing as moving your elbow away from your body (and adjusting your foot and head positions).

pj
chgo
 
whitewolf said:
What in the hell is a 'tens unit'?

Thanks, WW


It's a little belt attached unit for muscle therapy that delivers a timed shock that's variable in power ( if you put one of the sticky pads on a nerve ending and juice it up it hurts like a motherfather, trust me)
 
Wedge said:
I decided to tape one of my practice sessions. It's scary what you learn about your flaws watching your stroke afterwards. It was the first time I've done it and I saw that on all my difficult cut shots or shots that needed some juice I apply english with a fairly severe twist of the wrist. I never knew it but it is clearly evident when I replay the video. That is my New Year's resolution...to get rid of the twist. Has anyone else had any eye openers when they video taped their practice sessions? Can't wait to see how I go about correcting the bad twist habit. Any suggestions?

Wedge

I know it's close to New Years so no video taping or wrist twisting jokes. Having said that a little humor would be okay if it's prior to midnight!!!

Just for kicks, try start taking a very long pause at the backswing. For me at least, it helps me follow through with no twisting.
 
Kerrr-rect on all counts!

bigskyjake said:
It's a little belt attached unit for muscle therapy that delivers a timed shock that's variable in power ( if you put one of the sticky pads on a nerve ending and juice it up it hurts like a motherfather, trust me)

Good description of a tens unit. The pulse is also variable I believe. Other units let you vary the frequency too. A tens unit on a low setting for hours seems very helpful. On a high setting it can be downright annoying! Another thing that tends to be painful is a poor connection between a pad and hide.

Hu
 
ShootingArts said:
Good description of a tens unit. The pulse is also variable I believe. Other units let you vary the frequency too. A tens unit on a low setting for hours seems very helpful. On a high setting it can be downright annoying! Another thing that tends to be painful is a poor connection between a pad and hide.

Hu


I almost forgot about the painfull SNAP that comes from a poor connection
 
Patrick Johnson said:
Sounds like the same thing as moving your elbow away from your body (and adjusting your foot and head positions).

pj
chgo

It's the same in that you're trying to achieve the same final position, but I think making the adjustment by locking the cue and your bridge hand and your head into position first is better, because if you just move the shooting arm into better alignment as a first step, then the cue is no longer in line. The subsequent adjustment to bring the cue back in line might re-break the alignment problem you just corrected.

With the way I described, the cue stays in line with the shot the whole time, meaning your torso re-positioning and arm re-positioning are forced to take place in concert. As soon as your shoulder is in the right spot and you're balanced over your feet, you're done adjusting, and you never had to consciously change your elbow or head or cue alignment, because they stayed lined up with the cue and the line of the shot the whole time.

-Andrew
 
The tens unit sounds like a horrible idea, having electric current pulsing through your muscles constantly is not a good idea. You are working only with the muscle and not the innervating neurons, which are the cause for spasms/pain. Prolonged use can be detrimental.

Try marijuana, I have a peripheral neuropathy that is all but cured by it.
 
well . . .

henho said:
The tens unit sounds like a horrible idea, having electric current pulsing through your muscles constantly is not a good idea. You are working only with the muscle and not the innervating neurons, which are the cause for spasms/pain. Prolonged use can be detrimental.

Try marijuana, I have a peripheral neuropathy that is all but cured by it.


We all have electrical current moving through our bodies all the time naturally. When the options are electricity or drugs, I'll choose electricity every time. To each their own of course but the electricity is such a low amount that I can't pass it on to anyone else by touching them.

The newest set-up involves electrodes actually inside the spinal canal which allows the use of very small electrical charges focusing almost solely on the nerves. Worth noting that signals are sent through everyone's nerves by low electrical charges so this is a comparatively natural method of pain reduction. All pot ever did for me is give me the munchies and make me lazy.

Hu
 
henho said:
The tens unit sounds like a horrible idea, having electric current pulsing through your muscles constantly is not a good idea. You are working only with the muscle and not the innervating neurons, which are the cause for spasms/pain. Prolonged use can be detrimental.

Try marijuana, I have a peripheral neuropathy that is all but cured by it.

No Thanks, I hate that shit. Plus I won't get arrested if I get caught with a tens unit on me
 
Wedge said:
. Has anyone else had any eye openers when they video taped their practice sessions?

I'll repeat what I said to a previous similar thread:

--------------------------------------------------------

Any good instructor should be using videotape so that you can see yourself. It can be a real eye-opener.

For me, the biggest things I noticed was that I was really starting to lose my hair, and I needed to lose ten pounds.

Fred
--------------------------------------------------------
 
video

To try to get this thread that I accidentally helped derail back on track, I haven't shot video of myself yet but I intend to soon. What we think we do and what we actually do is often miles apart. While having an expert look at the video is nice, just looking ourselves will probably reveal a lot.

Snapping the wrist was one of the things I picked up as a kid way before the internet or much in the way of how-to books or tapes. One thing I would suggest is setting up the type of shots you often snap your wrist on and shoot just focusing on a smooth clean stroke. Shoot the object ball into the rail while doing this; at this point you want to be focusing on your mechanics not making the ball. Once you think you have the wrist snap under control then pocket a few balls. A warning, snapping the wrist still sneaks back into my game for a shot or two now and then. It is a hard habit to break so expect it to take some effort over time not just a short session or two.

Hu
 
Back
Top