Practicing 9 ball

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't do the ball dividing deliberately, one thing I do practice and suggest that other do (say on my league team), is to practice getting position on the 9 ball on the spot and lower. Almost all the time the 9 is near the spot, or goes back to the end rail. Which means you need to play position to those areas a lot to win. Many matches lost by medium level players are lost after they run 4-5-6 balls and then get bad shape on the 8 or 9, so learning and getting comfortable playing position for the last 2 balls is very important.

The end game is vitally important in nine ball. You shouldn't run eight if you can't make all nine. I practice the eight to the nine a lot. I'll do this thing where I'll throw the eight nine up on the table and leave myself out of line on the eight and practice getting tough outs. Once I do this ten times, I'll throw the seven and do the same thing, leave myself out of line a bit and make the recovery. Then it's up with the six and so on and so forth. A miss is game over and up with the balls. This gives great practice getting back in line. One of the hardest things is staying in line as you get less balls on the table, especially if the spreads are odd, balls on opposite ends of table or frozen to rails etc...

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
The end game is vitally important in nine ball. You shouldn't run eight if you can't make all nine. I practice the eight to the nine a lot. I'll do this thing where I'll throw the eight nine up on the table and leave myself out of line on the eight and practice getting tough outs. Once I do this ten times, I'll throw the seven and do the same thing, leave myself out of line a bit and make the recovery. Then it's up with the six and so on and so forth. A miss is game over and up with the balls. This gives great practice getting back in line. One of the hardest things is staying in line as you get less balls on the table, especially if the spreads are odd, balls on opposite ends of table or frozen to rails etc...

Sounds like a good routine. This site really is a clearinghouse of ideas and information.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw something Jay said in another thread about practicing 9 ball. He mentioned he simply throws the balls up, spreads them out and takes bih to start. That's exactly what I do as well, but I also, always, have the odds on one end and evens on the other. That way, I am, effectively, making it as difficult on myself as possible which, to me, is the purpose of practice. Now, in real-time competition, do the balls spread out that way? Of course not. Sometimes, you break, and the 2, 3 and 4, etc., are all within a few inches of each other. But, again, I believe if I make it as difficult as I can ( without taking it to extremes ) on myself, the time spent is more quality-driven than if not.

Anyone else do this ( odds one end, evens the other )?

Then why not put them all on the rail? Or clumped together? I think the best way is to rack them up each time, might as well work on your break at the same time!

Wow, just re-read this, I don't mean to sound like an asshole lol, just trying to make a point! Sorry for the rudeness!

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Then why not put them all on the rail? Or clumped together? I think the best way is to rack them up each time, might as well work on your break at the same time!

Wow, just re-read this, I don't mean to sound like an asshole lol, just trying to make a point! Sorry for the rudeness!

As I said, my back being as bad as it is, I spend what little time it allows me just hitting balls, not racking. As for putting them all on the rail, that's actually a drill I do occasionally. EXTREMELY difficult but incredibly good for position practice.

I didn't think you sounded negative ( a-hole, rude, etc ) at all. I don't think you've anything to apologize for but thanks anyway!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I haven't tried this yet but was thinking of a practice method as I read this. I have two ball sets: Aramith Tour Pros and Cyclop TV. Was thinking of scattering both sets, 1-9's on the table and trying to run them 1,1,2,2,3,3...9,9. Would force a lot of banks and or tough shots with that much congestion. I think I'll start BIH, allow shooting the pairs in either order and keep shooting after a miss...trying to lower the score of misses. You could add more difficulty by designating the order each pair has to be pocketed in.

Who am I kidding, I can't even give the Ghost a run for his money.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I haven't tried this yet but was thinking of a practice method as I read this. I have two ball sets: Aramith Tour Pros and Cyclop TV. Was thinking of scattering both sets, 1-9's on the table and trying to run them 1,1,2,2,3,3...9,9. Would force a lot of banks and or tough shots with that much congestion. I think I'll start BIH, allow shooting the pairs in either order and keep shooting after a miss...trying to lower the score of misses. You could add more difficulty by designating the order each pair has to be pocketed in.

And you couldn't walk at 10 months old 'til you tried it a few hundred times... go for it.

Congestion is exactly why I sometimes spread the balls out only behind the headstring. 9 in that small area is the same principle as 18 full table.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also try to spread out the balls so they aren't too close together by the numbers. I don't want the 3, 4 & 5 all in the same immediate area of the table. I don't exactly take BIH either. I just give myself a decent opening shot at the one, something like what may come up in a real game.

By the way, I can't beat the ghost on my table. It's a 4.25" corner pocket Diamond that plays pretty tough. I do know that if I can get in stroke on this table, I can pretty much play anywhere. I just got done watching Dennis break and run out rack after rack of Ten Ball for HOURS! It's pretty humbling watching one of the best in the world play. He loves his new Mezz cue and Brush break cue. Look out world is all I've got to say. I predict big things for Dennis the rest of this year.

Hi jay, just curious, what shaft is dennis shooting with? Expro?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure there would be congestion, but you’d have your choice of two different balls to play shape for!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just remember this when playing 9-Ball; the closer you get to winning is also the closer you get to losing. You can make eight great shots and miss the nine and you lose. I do agree that the hardest position can be on the last three balls.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Was thinking of scattering both sets, 1-9's on the table and trying to run them 1,1,2,2,3,3...9,9.
You could just play 15 ball rotation...

Several years ago I saw Marco Marquez practicing at Chris's in Chicago by throwing two whole racks (30 balls) out on the table and banking them all in. I was duly impressed.

pj
chgo

Michael Andros

Silver Member
You could just play 15 ball rotation...

Several years ago I saw Marco Marquez practicing at Chris's in Chicago by throwing two whole racks (30 balls) out on the table and banking them all in. I was duly impressed.

pj
chgo

Saw a vid on YT a few days ago of Eddie Taylor, in his mid-70s, bank 13 out of 15 balls ( in like... 3 minutes ) before he missed. IMPRESSIVE.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I was practicing 9 ball one day a at pool hall that has since closed, just throwing the balls out on the table randomly and running out. A local legend, pro/money player approached me and asked "Where do the balls go on the break shot? I replied that I guess they randomly spread out all over. He told me that on a hard break over half of the balls will be within a diamond of a rail.

I started watching break shots and he was right, so now when tossing balls out on the table I make sure several are close to the rail.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I was practicing 9 ball one day a at pool hall that has since closed, just throwing the balls out on the table randomly and running out. A local legend, pro/money player approached me and asked "Where do the balls go on the break shot? I replied that I guess they randomly spread out all over. He told me that on a hard break over half of the balls will be within a diamond of a rail.

I started watching break shots and he was right, so now when tossing balls out on the table I make sure several are close to the rail.

Me too. :cool:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to use what is best described as a scattered ball drill for 8, 9 and 10 ball.
Along the way, I started using it for straight pool practice too since it made sense.
Run the pattern of balls, or the table and don't miss. When you do, just start over.

Then I was reminded by my mentor of something he told me when I very first started.
"Always practice with a purpose in mind or don't even bother and just go hit some balls."
Well, that's so very true in so many sports & I think this especially applies to pool very well.

So sure. before I play in a match, I'll toss some balls on the table and try running them to
get the feel of my stroke. If I miss a shot, I set it up again but to me this is not practice, at
least not as I know any practice to be. It's more like getting loose and trying to get the feel
of your stroke, bridge feel & stroke's straightness and follow through, i.e., penetration zone.

I have different practice routines and these tend to become challenging and satisfying to
perform. I will often connect with a buddy at the pool hall and we'll practice together taking
turns and giving one another feedback. This involves a variety of shots and drills but it's fun
because you push each other to go further each time and you root & cheer for each other.

Matt B.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is really funny about this thread is that nobody - NOBODY - said they practice the MOTHER DRILLS to get better at 9-Ball.

Not one person. Yet some people talk about how the Mother Drills will transform players into greatness.

r/DCP

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is really funny about this thread is that nobody - NOBODY - said they practice the MOTHER DRILLS to get better at 9-Ball.

Not one person. Yet some people talk about how the Mother Drills will transform players into greatness.

r/DCP

Nobody talked about making sure they had the proper shade of green cloth either. F'n noobs. :duck:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I used to use what is best described as a scattered ball drill for 8, 9 and 10 ball.
Along the way, I started using it for straight pool practice too since it made sense.
Run the pattern of balls, or the table and don't miss. When you do, just start over.

Then I was reminded by my mentor of something he told me when I very first started.
"Always practice with a purpose in mind or don't even bother and just go hit some balls."
Well, that's so very true in so many sports & I think this especially applies to pool very well.

So sure. before I play in a match, I'll toss some balls on the table and try running them to
get the feel of my stroke. If I miss a shot, I set it up again but to me this is not practice, at
least not as I know any practice to be. It's more like getting loose and trying to get the feel
of your stroke, bridge feel & stroke's straightness and follow through, i.e., penetration zone.

I have different practice routines and these tend to become challenging and satisfying to
perform. I will often connect with a buddy at the pool hall and we'll practice together taking
turns and giving one another feedback. This involves a variety of shots and drills but it's fun
because you push each other to go further each time and you root & cheer for each other.

Matt B.

Your mentor gave you sound advice. I always practice with a purpose as well. And I always practice alone. People ask me all the time "You never play anyone... why?" I say, first, why would I want to pay time to watch someone else shoot, even if it's only 30% ( let alone 50% or better, depending on how they play ) of the time or so... also, when I miss, playing alone, I can simply set it up again. And, also, when I set it up again and make it, I will sometimes set it up yet again for consistency or to vary slightly where whitey is going... I take practice very seriously. Always have.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

r/DCP
Yeah, there's a thousand or so other practice drills nobody mentioned in this thread either. Guess they're all worthless, huh?

pj
chgo