Predator's P3's vs Schon

RailKing85

Schon all the way between those two. Buy an older second hand one. I dont recommend buying anything predator brand.
Joss will feel play almost the same as a schon...if u get a regular 12.75 shaft or so. Joss's 13.25 is a fucking tree trunk..(makes a great break shaft with a sumo extra hard water buffalo leather tip or a sonic phenolic tip from mezz btw). If the shafts are same. Schon and joss play almost identical. Honestly I kinda like the joss better. Schon has better fit and finish.....I don't have my Joss anymore...but it played just fine. Seems like I always used a diveney lakewood shaft with it. Then I started using it as a breaker with the stock joss 13.23 shaft and a super hard tip
they probably play similar because they both have the heavy 5/16/14 steel joint. making it forward balanced. Idk about Joss and their butt diameters but I do prefer smaller butts. As I only grip with my index and thumb for the most part

RailKing85

The P3 was on my radar back when I first started shopping for a new player. As it was the only Predator with a hit I enjoyed. However, they are so brutally common. It would be more rare to drive a gray coloured car then own a P3. That aspect mixed with what is (imo) a horrible joint, turned me away. As far as a Revo shaft...?..., the worst of the CF I've demo'd,

I've never owned one but have had a soft spot for old schons. Very classic looking cues that generally don't feel like crap when you hit a ball. I've read here the current models play terribly, or just maybe not as well as they used to...? <--I honestly don't know from first person experience

As far as my unsolicited suggestion. Try swinging at a few with a Mezz before you buy something else.
The mezz have their stupid united joints and I want a cue I can upgrade shafts easily on. Also their selection is kinda shitty for styles and seyberts doesnt sell them. I only shop seyberts and pooldawg and FCIBilliards.

RailKing85

Then you appear to like rear heavy cues.
If that is the case, then Schon won't probably be for you, they're balanced a bit forward.
I dont think I like rear heavy per say, I think I just dont like the way viking did it. But who knows I may pick one up with a skinny butt and enjoy it. I do like there do be some weight in the shaft end.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mezz have their stupid united joints and I want a cue I can upgrade shafts easily on. Also their selection is kinda shitty for styles and seyberts doesnt sell them. I only shop seyberts and pooldawg and FCIBilliards.
The united joint mezz butt will fit any afetrmarket shaft in5/16x14. As long as it's not a goofy brass insert like schon uses. Cuetec...predator anything with the smaller brass insert will fit.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My salt and pepper P2 and P3
832FC3B0-99C2-4409-8DE2-460A3BFA542F.jpeg

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also a flat faced 5/16x14 works fine no worries then about the insert dimeter..
Most all major shaft makers offer a united joint option these days anyway. *Also mezz quality is very high....another brand is pretty much a downgrade...imo

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
lol... and the P3 unilock isn't a stupid joint...?

Your loss.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a P3 with a radial pin (and a grey car, whatever that means).

I enjoy the hit with it but it feels slim in my hand. It is possible that this model differs from a standard P3. My other cues are more old school dimensions so this is different.

Your money will go farther in the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I enjoy the hit with it but it feels slim in my hand. It is possible that this model differs from a standard P3. My other cues are more old school dimensions so this is different.

Some Cue brands have become thinner over the years.
The theory is they produce English easier.
Don't shoot the messenger
Happy New Year

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some Cue brands have become thinner over the years.
The theory is they produce English easier.
Don't shoot the messenger
Happy New Year
If u want stupid amounts of spin on the ball a 18 Oz cue with a triangle tip shaped and scuffed perfectly loaded with fresh triangle chalk then scuffed and chalked again ...on a 12.25mm shaft or so with a 20 inch plus pro taper. Then let her rip with some good loose wrist snap on cueball contact.
* I think maybe the thinner butt and slightly lighter cue facilitates more wrist action. (Not necessarily a good thing if your stoke is already somewhat sloppy)

Do you have a wood shaft or a Revo? I would echo your sentiment about it feeling slim, but that's only because I play a 11.8 Revo which I feel makes it a psychological thing.

Eventually I'll put a radial shaft on mine to try out.

RailKing85

lol... and the P3 unilock isn't a stupid joint...?

Your loss.
Sure it's not a big threaded joint but it fits tight and works. I've read and heard it'll loosen on some people rarely, somewhere 1/300 shots. Why do you think it's bad? I'm honestly curious.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a wood shaft or a Revo? I would echo your sentiment about it feeling slim, but that's only because I play a 11.8 Revo which I feel makes it a psychological thing.

Eventually I'll put a radial shaft on mine to try out.

I got this as a butt only. I use a 12.2 Ignite shaft most of the time. The color of this cue would be perfect for kielwood but I only have a 11.75 OB phoenix and we don’t get along.
7e701b386171c45839d6c14a54c0de8f.jpg

406jwh

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I run a p3 bocote with 8 inch extension..but a 10.5 cynergy shaft. Haven't put it down since I first shot with it. Much prefer the cynergy shafts over the revo

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Sure it's not a big threaded joint but it fits tight and works. I've read and heard it'll loosen on some people rarely, somewhere 1/300 shots. Why do you think it's bad? I'm honestly curious.
I'm not a fan of short threaded pins. No specific hate for the unilock. Just got a kick out of you calling the Mezz United a stupid joint when it's not much different than the Predator Unilock.

I will say. Having experienced both the predator unilock and the Mezz united pins. The Mezz offering has notably higher precision in fit. It may just be the one united I have been exposed to, (my breaker) but all the predator unilocks in comparison engage loosely.

YMMV

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It means the odds of seeing several P3's in a pool room are as good as seeing gray cars on the road. It's very common production cue. That's not necessarily a bad thing. However, some people just prefer to be somewhat unique when buying something new. When I entered the market. The option of having the same cue as a dozen or so others in my room turned me off the P3. That sounds fickle, I know. However, I wouldn't buy a gray car either....lol

ak1975

I have a P3 and love it, but cant compare to the others mentioned. oh and I like the color black so...

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not a fan of the Uniloc, I'm happy to see that predator saw the light and started producing the P3 with a (Uniloc) radial pin.
ad.png