Pro pool player's vs transgender athlete's

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what is the difference between pro player's dominating amateur (State/regional tournaments) and trans men crushing women's sports? Curious...
Screenshot_20210302-063920.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-091959.png
    Screenshot_20210302-091959.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_20210302-091929.png
    Screenshot_20210302-091929.png
    414 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Europe, England, Russia or other countries can anyone to enter local events? I do not know, just asking? What about snooker, can I enter a pro event?

afaik, yes. but many of these events are handicapped, so a pro would have to win more racks.

in snooker you would have to enter amateur events. a pro card, with few exceptions, is given a player that have qualified to the main pro tour.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
So (just my opinion) no. Not a State title. If to the tournament says Virginia state champion then the player should...

1. Be living in the state of the title Championship.
  2. Should not be a professional player. (Fargo above 725 my opinion)
  3. If the tournament director wanted to run a pro-am that's different. (Not a State title)
So, if I:
1. Live in my state
2. Do have a Fargo over 725, then

b. I can't be a state champion? Can't even have the opportunity?

Geez thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What about snooker, can I enter a pro event?
Not directly, just as with any major golf tournament. Snooker events are often limited such as to 128 tour players. Players get a two-year tour card by various paths. If a tournament comes up short of entries, such as for covid dropouts, amateurs are invited to play rather than have a walkover. The current event (The Gibraltar Open) seems to have arranged five spare players.

If you wanted to play in the snooker World Championship, and you played well enough, the fastest path would be to go to Q School:
I think it takes about two weeks and 12 players qualify each year. Among others, you are up against players who have been on the tour and have lost their tour cards based on lack of performance. After Q School, you would build up your ranking by placing in events. Rankings points are just amount of money won in ranking events. I think you could play in the WSC the first year after qualifying through Q School.

So, if you decided to play in the Snooker World Championship right now, you would be barred from the 2021 event but you could win the 2022 event.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
So what is the difference between pro player's dominating amateur (State/regional tournaments) and trans men crushing women's sports? Curious... View attachment 587339
Here's the difference that I see.
State and regional tournaments are NOT "amateur" events.

You're looking for the best in that state/region. And sorry to say, but the people that show up will be the BEST in that state/region and play above (sometimes far above) an amateur level.

I do agree with your point that they should be at least from that state/region. Some states do have this rule in place. VA doesn't seem to be one of them...... maybe they'll take another look at that.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see an issue with a pro player playing in any tournament. Pool as a whole has so much against pro's, too many capped tournaments already, and for ridiculous amounts of money. Theres no reason a well under 600 fargo should be winning 20k+ cash. Why would certain players ever want their fargo to rise? What incentive is there for those that aren't trying to make it a career?

Even my 11 year old isn't allowed to play in some of the fargo capped tournaments. There are multiple 580 and under tournaments but you need 400+ robustness, by the time he gets there, he will be over 580. He recently won a 550 and under playing as a 540 and jumped to a 571 from that. These type of events are for those that have been there for years, not for those constantly putting the time in to become the best they can be.

I always feel sorry for the pro players that have been barred from entering tournaments, or even high level amateurs that cant enter tournaments they used to just due to the fact they worked their butt off.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the difference that I see.
State and regional tournaments are NOT "amateur" events.

You're looking for the best in that state/region. And sorry to say, but the people that show up will be the BEST in that state/region and play above (sometimes far above) an amateur level.

I do agree with your point that they should be at least from that state/region. Some states do have this rule in place. VA doesn't seem to be one of them...... maybe they'll take another look at that.
There are a few VA events and the 9b one does have residency requirement, while the ones hosted by APT seem to be truly open.

(Out of state winner here)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see an issue with a pro player playing in any tournament. Pool as a whole has so much against pro's, too many capped tournaments already, and for ridiculous amounts of money. Theres no reason a well under 600 fargo should be winning 20k+ cash. Why would certain players ever want their fargo to rise? What incentive is there for those that aren't trying to make it a career?

Even my 11 year old isn't allowed to play in some of the fargo capped tournaments. There are multiple 580 and under tournaments but you need 400+ robustness, by the time he gets there, he will be over 580. He recently won a 550 and under playing as a 540 and jumped to a 571 from that. These type of events are for those that have been there for years, not for those constantly putting the time in to become the best they can be.

I always feel sorry for the pro players that have been barred from entering tournaments, or even high level amateurs that cant enter tournaments they used to just due to the fact they worked their butt off.
It is a tough call and I have killed more than a few weekly events by repeated wins.

How many times does a tourney director have to hear, 'oh,__(pro)__ is playing? I'm not signing up then', before he acknowledges a significant portion of his potential entrants choose not to enter as a direct result of a significantly better player's participation?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
So I just was discussing a possible pro starting point. I always thought there should be a pro-am and an amateur.
Maybe there should be.

I know from seeing it myself, that some leagues are FargoRated, and to a player just on the cusp of 725, those leagues might be a way to stay inside that radar beacon (becuase they could care less)

They can go every week and absolutely tank their scores, on purpose. And somehow still be crowned a state champion.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few VA events and the 9b one does have residency requirement, while the ones hosted by APT seem to be truly open.

(Out of state winner here)
So I like pro-am tournaments and non-pro events. I do think a State championship is meant for residents of that area (my dad was a State tennis champ). Lucky for him Boris Becker was not able to participate. Lol

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a tough call and I have killed more than a few weekly events by repeated wins.

How many times does a tourney director have to hear, 'oh,__(pro)__ is playing? I'm not signing up then', before he acknowledges a significant portion of his potential entrants choose not to enter as a direct result of a significantly better player's participation?
True. On the other how many pros are skipping pro events to steal from the kiddy pool... Lol

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They probably shouldn't play if that is their attitude anyways. Imo that's what tournaments are for. Playing the best around.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You do have a point that I have put thought into.... unfortunately some of the general players don't see it as an opportunity. The same people will see a very high level amateur listed and won't play either.

On the other hand, people like my son, will make me drive 9 hours so he can go 0-2 in an open non handicapped tournament knowing its a heavily stacked 700+ including 3 top tier players like Oscar Dominguez, Fedor Gorst, and Kristina Tkach.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe there should be.

I know from seeing it myself, that some leagues are FargoRated, and to a player just on the cusp of 725, those leagues might be a way to stay inside that radar beacon (becuase they could care less)

They can go every week and absolutely tank their scores, on purpose. And somehow still be crowned a state champion.
It is hard for player's to maintain a high Fargo. I have seen several almost pro player's give up on touring and just play local. Usually their game does diminish over time from a lack of competition.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They probably shouldn't play if that is their attitude anyways. Imo that's what tournaments are for. Playing the best around.
You do have a point that I have put thought into.... unfortunately some of the general players don't see it as an opportunity. The same people will see a very high level amateur listed and won't play either.

On the other hand, people like my son, will make me drive 9 hours so he can go 0-2 in an open non handicapped tournament knowing its a heavily stacked 700+ including 3 top tier players like Oscar Dominguez, Fedor Gorst, and Kristina Tkach.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: