Pro vs. Joe 9-ball spot

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Say, hypothetically, there's a guy in the poolroom who's hypothetically an enormous pool geek and will jump at the chance to match up with a pro player regardless of how bad of a money-making proposition it is, as long as the stakes are affordable.

Let's further posit that said purely hypothetical player is a run-out 9-ball player, perhaps A- level.

What kind of spot might make a relatively even game between this anonymous (not to mention handsome) gentleman and a pro? For the sake of purely hypothetical argument, let's say the pro in question is Mike Davis.

-Andrew

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Say, hypothetically, there's a guy in the poolroom who's hypothetically an enormous pool geek and will jump at the chance to match up with a pro player regardless of how bad of a money-making proposition it is, as long as the stakes are affordable.

Let's further posit that said purely hypothetical player is a run-out 9-ball player, perhaps A- level.

What kind of spot might make a relatively even game between this anonymous (not to mention handsome) gentleman and a pro? For the sake of purely hypothetical argument, let's say the pro in question is Mike Davis.

-Andrew

you're from north VA? However you would match up against Matt Clatterbuck, add another ball and a half minimum.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say an AZB signature recently:

There's 2 kinds of people: day people and night people.

The night people's job is to try and get the day people's money.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Pretty much whatever the pro has to give to get the guy to play. At a pro level ball spots they give up don't really matter much if they are playing well.

If the hypothetical player is smart, they would take games on the wire and/or the break before they take ball spots.

So, for a typical run out A player....to make it competitive, probably 2-3 on the wire racing to 9, preferably with the breaks. Though having breaks might swing it in the A player's favor if they have a good break.

The break's a good idea, at least preventing sitting in the chair for multiple racks in a row. This could make it more competitive AND more enjoyable for our hypothetical protagonist.

The breaks and a ball spot (perhaps the 7) would probably be more palatable to the pro than the breaks and games on the wire.

For added information, by the way, the hypothetical match is on a pro-cut diamond that plays pretty tight, which I think actually helps our A player by helping him get to the table more, even though it challenges his ability to run out.

-Andrew

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Speaking for joe, i want the break an ball in hand after break. I think i got a chance.

So like the ghost, except you can play safe if you want, and the ghost will probably make a mistake once in a while and let you get one back after you don't get out?

If the pro's smart and our hypothetical player is in stroke, the pro wouldn't bet on that.

-Andrew

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I say an AZB signature recently:

There's 2 kinds of people: day people and night people.

The night people's job is to try and get the day people's money.

Right. But our hypothetical player isn't going to bet any amount he doesn't consider a worthwhile price for lessons. So losing every set is an acceptable outcome here.

-Andrew

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
7-out and the breaks with the magic rack should be a reasonably even spot. You might need more weight without the MR.

If you want lessons and are looking to donate, just play even for cheap. Spots change the strategy of the game too much.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-Andrew

Go back to the old way. You're allowed to push out on every shot, no 3 foul rule, and you get the wild eight.

Then if you win, Mike gets to arm wrestle you double or nothing in the end.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Then if you win, Mike gets to arm wrestle you double or nothing in the end.

Mike's one of the few pro players I would be afraid of if it came to arm wrestling. I'm a big guy, and I work out, but he's bigger and it looks like he works out more.

-Andrew

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So like the ghost, except you can play safe if you want, and the ghost will probably make a mistake once in a while and let you get one back after you don't get out?

If the pro's smart and our hypothetical player is in stroke, the pro wouldn't bet on that.

-Andrew
I was thinking the same thing. I know a lot of A players that can handle the ghost on a standard cut table, so I would think that those extra benefits would be enough to give them a win on a tight table. Then again, they might just fold under the pressure of playing a pro.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike's one of the few pro players I would be afraid of if it came to arm wrestling. I'm a big guy, and I work out, but he's bigger and it looks like he works out more.

-Andrew

:yes:

Oh...you talk about arm wrestling and his ears will perk up.

It's a lot easier and quicker than shooting pool.:thumbup: