Problem with (draw shot)

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
I feel sorta dumb.My pool stroke had been getting more and more out of whack.My stroke was most crooked on hard draw shots.So everyday I practice draw shots over and over..One day I notice I cant draw the ball well at all even when I hit it straight the CB just stops or draws 30% of what I intended.So I read the draw shot thread by Totti,it is clear that he is not hitting the ball low enough.The next day I am at the pool hall having trouble drawing the CB.I ask an old wise player to watch my stroke...he looks at one stroke and says..."your not hitting the CB low enough".I thought he was crazy but on the next try I lowered my aim on the CB and drew it 12 feet.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Drawing 12 feet is not too shabby. It is a lot more draw that you need for most situations.

When I teach draw, I start players with the 9-ball and no cue ball. Shoot the 9 from the head string toward the foot rail with your best spin. Be sure to line the ball's stripe parallel to the head string. Watch the stripe spin. The ball should be a blur and look yellow. If your backspin dies before you reach the opposite rail, you will need to experiment and change until you can see the spin working.

When you get spin on a striped ball consistently, use the cue ball and start drawing off the object ball. Be certain to hit the object ball dead center when pocketing it.

One last point: If you are using a measel cue ball or a bar table cue ball there may be a problem. If the cue ball is larger than the object ball it will be much harder to stop when it hits the object ball and your draw will be weak.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Not only is it hitting it low, for a powerdraw shot it is important to follow through on your swing!

Watch the follow through on this!

you will see the tip starts on the first diamond, and after the follow through it ends up on like the second diamond.

granted it is easy to draw a ball on this particular shot, but i just wanted to give an example of what i was talking about!

good luck
Steve

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
stevekur1 said:
Not only is it hitting it low, for a powerdraw shot it is important to follow through on your swing!

Watch the follow through on this!

you will see the tip starts on the first diamond, and after the follow through it ends up on like the second diamond.

granted it is easy to draw a ball on this particular shot, but i just wanted to give an example of what i was talking about!

good luck
Steve

How far should we "follow through"?....randyg

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the idea of the follow thru is to avoid pulling the cue, thereby giving you a more fluid stroke. it's not all about power, but fluidity and correct/proper stroking as well.

TOTTI's video were he was only able to draw the OB at around 2 feet, inspite of hitting the the ball hard, can be accomplished or have the same distance result by a medium stroke.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
randyg said:
How far should we "follow through"?....randyg

fishing.gif

^^^^^^^RANDYG^^^^^^^

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
That's a pix of one of our SPF Instructors, Bob Nunley. He makes (and uses) one of the best fly rods in the World.

Picture me with a golf club, following through of course......SPF=randyg

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
randyg said:
That's a pix of one of our SPF Instructors, Bob Nunley. He makes (and uses) one of the best fly rods in the World.

Picture me with a golf club, following through of course......SPF=randyg

lol. that picture is what you were doing when you asked that question about how much we should follow through on the draw.

sputnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope this helps...

First practice with just the cue. On the forward thrust, loosen your backhand grip so that the cue stick slides forward. Set up the object ball two feet away from the cue ball. Then aim the cueball below center, on forward thrust, release the grip and let the cue slide forward with the cue tip hitting below center of the cueball.

This goes to show that 1] the draw shot needs follow through and 2] the draw shot does not need to have power on the backhand.