Project Tomahawk ferrule material.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So far I've only done 2 ferrules with it so far,one was on a scrap shaft and this one was for a customer.

I haven't done a shitload of thermoplastic ferrules,but so far in my limited experience this stuff sure doesn't act like a thermoplastic.

For example,the original Meucci ivory-grained ABS ferrule that was on this shaft when I got it was removed simply by putting the lathe spindle in reverse and wrapping a piece of leather around it. The friction softened the plastic enough that it came apart in pieces until I got down to the ferrule seam,and from there it just spun off.

On the new ferrule,the drilling chips came out VERY long and were pretty sharp as well. In this case the ferrule needed to be drilled out to .370,and following Bob's advice I first drilled a .348 hole (S drill) and followed with a .358 (T drill) before a very light pass with a boring bar.

The reason I say it doesn't act like a thermoplastic is the chips were "tough" meaning not easily pulled apart and broken like Juma or Elforyn.

So far I've only glued it with JB Weld QuickWeld,which I believe to be the best readily-available 5 min epoxy out there with a tensile strength of 4400 PSI. I recently found a creamy ivory colored acrylic paint to tint the epoxy with which if everything else is done right,will make any glue seam damn near invisible.

This is my finished product. Tommy D.

Awesome job Tommy-D! Thank you for sharing this. Likely the last ferrule that Meucci will ever need. :cool:
Very nice.
Joe P.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
Can anybody tell me how hard this material is compared to juma? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
So far I've only done 2 ferrules with it so far,one was on a scrap shaft and this one was for a customer.

I haven't done a shitload of thermoplastic ferrules,but so far in my limited experience this stuff sure doesn't act like a thermoplastic.

For example,the original Meucci ivory-grained ABS ferrule that was on this shaft when I got it was removed simply by putting the lathe spindle in reverse and wrapping a piece of leather around it. The friction softened the plastic enough that it came apart in pieces until I got down to the ferrule seam,and from there it just spun off.

On the new ferrule,the drilling chips came out VERY long and were pretty sharp as well. In this case the ferrule needed to be drilled out to .370,and following Bob's advice I first drilled a .348 hole (S drill) and followed with a .358 (T drill) before a very light pass with a boring bar.

The reason I say it doesn't act like a thermoplastic is the chips were "tough" meaning not easily pulled apart and broken like Juma or Elforyn. The chips were SHARP too,and it wouldn't have taken much to have cut myself trying to pull them apart,so this is something new. In your own experiments,be careful ;).

So far I've only glued it with JB Weld ClearWeld,which I believe to be the best readily-available 5 min epoxy out there with a tensile strength of 4400 PSI. I recently found a creamy ivory colored acrylic paint to tint the epoxy with which if everything else is done right,will make any glue seam damn near invisible.

This is my finished product. Tommy D.

Looks good. Now the $64,000 question. How does it hit? Hit similar to any other material?

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All paid orders shipped. Approximately 38 feet in stock.
My thanks to everyone for your interest and orders.
Joe P.