Pros That Stopped Smoking?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Anyone know of any pros that stopped smoking? If so, did there game suffer at all? I don't get out and gamble much anymore, but when I do I feel the need for a cigarette in a tight game. This can't be good for my mental game. Johnnyt

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know of any pros that stopped smoking? If so, did there game suffer at all? I don't get out and gamble much anymore, but when I do I feel the need for a cigarette in a tight game. This can't be good for my mental game. Johnnyt

Grady quit and i heard he had a rough first year at the table.

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
I know it's going to be a rough ride here in Michigan because as of May 1 there's no smoking anywhere in public places , resturants , bars you name it , I'm surprised that they haven't passed a law that you can't smoke in your own house .

Now I'm a Smoker and I'm going to have to make do with the new law but it will be hard that's for sure .

Rob

bizboy313

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren smoked for ages and quit, Buddy Hall was a smoker and quit I believe. I know a guy at my room who smoked for 25+ years and when he quit, his game jumped like 4 speeds (after a period of getting used to of course)

tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still a smoker and I smoke a lot. In my country all public places (including pool halls) are smoke free since 2003, and I got used to it after a few months. If I play a long session, I just ask for a 5 mins break every other 2-3 hours and it has become enough for me. I smoke 30 cigarettes a day but abstinence doesn't affect my game, I simply forget about it.

I will quit within 2010. Probably. ;)

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member

I quit smoking just over 7 years ago. I am definitely a better player for it.

It did create a "smoke-sensitive" issue for me though. I can hardly handle being in a smoking pool room, so I stay away for the most part.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Varner did as I recollect, health issues a few years back, he put on some weight but looked much the better for it. Don't know if he relapsed, but doubt it, haven't seen Nicky since Capones in Spring Hill FL 2004? where he beat Richie Rich in some one pocket, he played good to beat Richie, think $300 a game at the time.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit over twenty years ago and it never bothered my game. I guess you could use it as another excuse, if you wanted to.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren smoked for ages and quit, Buddy Hall was a smoker and quit I believe. I know a guy at my room who smoked for 25+ years and when he quit, his game jumped like 4 speeds (after a period of getting used to of course)

Yup, Efren quit several years ago; he *had to*, as he's still suffering the effects of emphysema. (If you watch some of Efren's later matches -- especially the 2005/2006 timeframe, you can hear Efren coughing/hacking on the sidelines.) Some of Efren's biggest wins took place after he quit smoking -- e.g. those two six-figure IPT events.

-Sean

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me...ok, I'm not a pro but I quit and my game has probably improved, not deteriorated.
More importantly, it's healthier not to smoke :wink:

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

Whenever I see a smoking thread I feel obligated to post about this book. If you want to quit, it is worth a read. The best part is that he encourages you to continue smoking while you read the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263234458&sr=8-1

41E0FVSF9WL._SS500_.jpg