Pros today vs the pros yesterday

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure how you can say Efren would 'easily' be the weakest with Busty and Archer also on that list. I agree that prime Sigel and Strickland are better tournament 9-ball players than prime Efren, but I wouldn't consider it 'easy' to say that prime Efren is worse than prime Busty and Archer.
I suppose we could agree to disagree. Archer was Player of the 90’s for a reason, when the game was 9-ball and the break meant something. But if we’re saying that in today’s game where finding the sweet spot of an automatic ball on the break is more important than breaking hard with control, then I retract my assertion. When the break meant something else, Efren was the weakest on this list.

Reactions: jsp

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we forgot to mention the player that dominated the last decade. SVB has it all, the greatest break, run out and great safety play, and quite possibly the greatest practice routine. just one example, svb entered J0hnnys pool room at 12 noon and did nothing but break balls until midnight..his dominance caused the the pool wprld to change the way we play the game!

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we forgot to mention the player that dominated the last decade. SVB has it all, the greatest break, run out and great safety play, and quite possibly the greatest practice routine. just one example, svb entered J0hnnys pool room at 12 noon and did nothing but break balls until midnight..his dominance caused the the pool wprld to change the way we play the game!
Totally agree, hell, the man wins his first WC and they immediately change the break format again on him…

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree, hell, the man wins his first WC and they immediately change the break format again on him…

this is the same break format as his latest US open wins, and also last year's european open which he finished 2nd (should've won).. so i doubt it's much of a bother for him. still the best break in the game

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is the same break format as his latest US open wins, and also last year's european open which he finished 2nd (should've won).. so i doubt it's much of a bother for him. still the best break in the game
agreed... i was pointing out that he won the world championship with that monster side rail break with a head on hit, and shortly after he won, that break is no longer allowed. With regards to all time great players, in this case talking about SVB, over the past 15 years several changes have been made to the game specifically, in my opinion, because of SVB's dominance. Breaking restrictions and I'd also say alternate break format as well...
Maybe not today, but, if he somehow snaps off another 5 or so majors, who can argue that just maybe he is that best ever... 🤷‍♂️

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
agreed... i was pointing out that he won the world championship with that monster side rail break with a head on hit, and shortly after he won, that break is no longer allowed. With regards to all time great players, in this case talking about SVB, over the past 15 years several changes have been made to the game specifically, in my opinion, because of SVB's dominance. Breaking restrictions and I'd also say alternate break format as well...
Maybe not today, but, if he somehow snaps off another 5 or so majors, who can argue that just maybe he is that best ever... 🤷‍♂️
The break rule was not changed because of Shane.

Suggesting he had dominated with his break in the years leading up to the 2022 World Pool Championship doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Before the Matchroom Tour began, the majors had to be reckoned as the World 9-ball, the US Open 9-ball, the China Open and the All Japan. Presently, however, the majors are surely the World Pool Championship, the US Open 9-ball, the World 10-ball, the UK Open, the Spanish Open, the World 8-ball and the European Open. SVB won the 2016 US Open 9-ball but failed to win another major until he won the 2022 World Pool Championship, He went about six years without a major.

No, he wasn't dominating with his break in the years leading up to the change to the current breaking rule. That said, I agree that the new breaking rule is not to the advantage of our living legend, and I posted this when the rule was changed.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the greatest cueists to play any game! Starting at about 2:35 he talks about how to bridge and how to stroke a cue. This is indeed how I learned back when the world was flat with just gently rounded corners. I do believe these techniques would be as successful today as they were in his era.

Hu

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the greatest cueists to play any game! Starting at about 2:35 he talks about how to bridge and how to stroke a cue. This is indeed how I learned back when the world was flat with just gently rounded corners. I do believe these techniques would be as successful today as they were in his era.

Hu

@ 3:17 you get a clear look at the bridge he used. For my physique that is the squarest, most stable bridge there is. I tried it for a while and I'd still be using it but my hand is too small to get any elevation.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break rule was not changed because of Shane.

Suggesting he had dominated with his break in the years leading up to the 2022 World Pool Championship doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Before the Matchroom Tour began, the majors had to be reckoned as the World 9-ball, the US Open 9-ball, the China Open and the All Japan. Presently, however, the majors are surely the World Pool Championship, the US Open 9-ball, the World 10-ball, the UK Open, the Spanish Open, the World 8-ball and the European Open. SVB won the 2016 US Open 9-ball but failed to win another major until he won the 2022 World Pool Championship, He went about six years without a major.

No, he wasn't dominating with his break in the years leading up to the change to the current breaking rule. That said, I agree that the new breaking rule is not to the advantage of our living legend, and I posted this when the rule was changed.
I get what you are saying here and I'm not saying you're incorrect. If you take the whole thread topic and combine all the thoughts, it actually does make sense. The main topic is many people today believe that today's players, SVB here, are superior to the players of the past. The rule changes started many years ago, the time when SVB indeed was dominating for well over a decade. The break, SVB was really the first to have a crushing break with consistent control, far superior to Archer and Earl's control. Corey started the weird stuff later after witnessing the importance of a controlled break, Shane's run really started after the 2007 US open. The jab about the latest break format change, is just that, to the average fan, it feels like the game still reacts to him.

Reactions: sjm

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
@ 3:17 you get a clear look at the bridge he used. For my physique that is the squarest, most stable bridge there is. I tried it for a while and I'd still be using it but my hand is too small to get any elevation.

For higher bridges I tuck my two middle fingers under the bridge. I do that on low shots too sometimes. If you or anyone else tries it I think they will find the tucked fingers make the bridge much stiffer.

No question, we have to get creative sometimes. How did Boston Shorty bridge? Some video of him is out there to look at. Jose Parica is another quite short person that played great pool in his day. Sometimes we try to copy the best but sometimes we need to look at people who play(ed) well with the same issues we have.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Pros today vs the pros yesterday.

In my opinion, top players are the same. I see nothing today (in all the pool I have seen) I did not see 30 years ago when I was young (started playing and keeping up with pool at around 8). I did, however, see a lot better strokes and a lot more amazing shots back then though. These days they just play safe instead of showing what they really got. There is a few tmies you have nothing more to do but that. But, if the shot is just tough but there is a reward, show your stuff...

After watching a small portion of the European Open and other "modern pool", I have to say that watching todays pool is like watching paint dry, seriously. It is really the best way I could describe it. Pool of the past had ALOT more character. Players were able to show their personalities a lot more (or maybe they just had more personanality). Watching them just tap balls into tight pockets, dressing the same, cueing the same, acting the same, is all quite boring. I could not even imagine someone who is not into pool, like me, trying to watch it.

Pockets: You can make pockets the width of one ball if you like, but it takes away from a players stroke and creativity. No matter how cleanly a ball is hit, this will always be the case. The tighter a pocket the less you can do. It does not matter how accurate you are. Practicing on a tight table is one thing, but wanting a viewable sport and using them is like tying your shoes laces together before a race, you already lost. To add, I will be quite happy to never again hear that annoying sound of time clocks going off at the European Open.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Pros today vs the pros yesterday.

In my opinion, top players are the same. I see nothing today (in all the pool I have seen) I did not see 30 years ago when I was young (started playing and keeping up with pool at around 8). I did, however, see a lot better strokes and a lot more amazing shots back then though. These days they just play safe instead of showing what they really got. There is a few tmies you have nothing more to do but that. But, if the shot is just tough but there is a reward, show your stuff...

After watching a small portion of the European Open and other "modern pool", I have to say that watching todays pool is like watching paint dry, seriously. It is really the best way I could describe it. Pool of the past had ALOT more character. Players were able to show their personalities a lot more (or maybe they just had more personanality). Watching them just tap balls into tight pockets, dressing the same, cueing the same, acting the same, is all quite boring. I could not even imagine someone who is not into pool, like me, trying to watch it.

Pockets: You can make pockets the width of one ball if you like, but it takes away from a players stroke and creativity. No matter how cleanly a ball is hit, this will always be the case. The tighter a pocket the less you can do. It does not matter how accurate you are. Practicing on a tight table is one thing, but wanting a viewable sport and using them is like tying your shoes laces together before a race, you already lost. To add, I will be quite happy to never again hear that annoying sound of time clocks going off at the European Open.
tap
tap
tap

my exact same thoughts on every point