Purchased a different Shaft and tip to play on a Diamond Table vs. Brunswick Gold Crown

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had someone just yesterday try to tell me that she uses english to make the cueball go to the left or the right. So if she wants to "not scratch" and the cueball to move to the left, she hits the cueball on the left side. Had absolutely no idea about the tangent line or aim or what spin does, but to her mind the side spin on the cueball is what made it go to the side, not the angle of the shot. She took the effect and applied it to the wrong cause. Note this was a 3 in the APA so about a D, D+ level player, but she was fully convinced, and tried to argue with me me, that what she was doing was causing the cueball to go to one side or the other even after I demonstrated on like 20 shots that it's not.

I think the same thing is being done here, especially after such a short period of time. Why you would bank better with another tip has nothing to do with the tip, you just happened to bank well on that table for 10 minutes and the equipment had nothing to do with it.
You are correct, 1000%.
A 700 Fargo will bank better on any table with a stick off the wall than almost anybody in the poolroom.
Why?
Simple.
They know how to bank.
The stick or the tip doesn't have a clue on how to bank.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EDIT

This threat and its entire premise is ludicrous.

THE contention THAT by changing a tip, one can make tWo inherently different pool tables play the same to an end user is beyond insanity. It is akin to saying you can make your minivan drive like a sedan by changing your shoes.

Trollololollolololol

ANTJR122

Registered
Diamond tables seem to have a reputation for banking "short" according to several posts that I have read on AZ Billiards forum. However, I have an "early" Diamond Red Label 9 foot Diamond Professional table which I purchased from Diamond in 1995 and it actually banks correctly or "long" if anything. I think the reason is the rubber cushions that were used in my table. I had the table renovated with all new cushions and cloth (Simonis 860) in 2011 due to some cushions becoming dead or somewhat dead and the installer, Dave Christie from D&L Billiards in RI, who is very experienced, asked me if I wanted Artemis cushions or the same brand that came with the table (he said modern Diamonds used Artemis cushions). I told him that I preferred the original brand (Diamond I think) because of the slow rebound action and the banking accuracy. Besides that - they were less expensive than Artemis. The table still plays like new now.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when I shoot banks on the Gold Crown for many years I have learned my Bank Shots a certain way. If I shoot on the Diamond of course they are slightly short due to the Rails which is widely known. I purchased a Viking Vikore Shaft and installed a Black Kamui Super Soft Tip and it will go long about a quarter Diamond on the the Gold Crown. So When I play on the Diamond Table it is just right to compensate for the Diamond shortness. Therefore, for MY GAME I am able to shoot the same on Gold Crowns and Diamonds with just Changing out my Shaft. BTW I use a Viking Vpro Shaft and Elkmaster Soft tip on my Gold Crown tables.
Lots of folks out here are happy you discovered this, especially those that make money on equipment.
You'll soon discover that if you shoot on either a Diamond or Gold Crown, if it's within 10' of the
shithouse or the front door, you'll need a completely different setup.
Same as if you play early mornings vs nights, completely different needs. Long time before I realized it, and at one time about 6 or 7 years ago I had 25 cues all at once.
I've come to my senses and narrowed it down to 5 cues and 7 shafts now. I recently sold my Schmelke true sneaky only to replace it with a Dzuricky Fancy sneaky I bought from a member here. My long term hopes are to haul around my 3x5 case with my Rick Howard, Pechauer Naked Black Ice Break, (ain't needed to use it yet), and newly acquired DZ cue.
The game we all love so much needs more folks like you and I to realize this and start getting the right equipment for changing conditions.
We each only truly need 3 cues with a pair of shafts each for play and maybe a couple extra cues for collecting. IMO
PS ~ of course chalk, tips, ferrules and scuffers is another topic for another day. Play well and cheers doc !!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond tables seem to have a reputation for banking "short" according to several posts that I have read on AZ Billiards forum. However, I have an "early" Diamond Red Label 9 foot Diamond Professional table which I purchased from Diamond in 1995 and it actually banks correctly or "long" if anything. I think the reason is the rubber cushions that were used in my table. I had the table renovated with all new cushions and cloth (Simonis 860) in 2011 due to some cushions becoming dead or somewhat dead and the installer, Dave Christie from D&L Billiards in RI, who is very experienced, asked me if I wanted Artemis cushions or the same brand that came with the table (he said modern Diamonds used Artemis cushions). I told him that I preferred the original brand (Diamond I think) because of the slow rebound action and the banking accuracy. Besides that - they were less expensive than Artemis. The table still plays like new now.
IIRC the real early Pro's used Championship rubber. And most of the Red label tables did/do bank short. Not as much as some carry on about but its real. They changed the sub-rail angle in 2010 when the Blues came out.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yeah this sounds like a Dr. Dave investigation and do some analysis. Dr. Dave has proven and disproven different things over the years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Ummm, no. Dave is not wasting his time on such nonsense. you are way overthinking this and that's the problem. Just go shoot pool. I mean, I played in a league 3 nights a week. One night on Valley, one night on Diamond bar box, and one night on 9 foot GC. It just didn't matter. Unless you really can't remember you're on a Valley versus a GC, then you would have other problems to worry about.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
This threat and its entire premise is ludicrous.

A contention by changing a tip can make to inherently different pool tables play the same to an end user is beyond insanity. It is akin to saying you can make your minivan drive like a sedan by changing your shoes.

Trollololollolololol

he should have a different tip and shaft combo per each type of shot while hes at it.
stop shot shaft
draw shaft
follow shaft

all with a different tip and hardness

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ummm, no. Dave is not wasting his time on such nonsense. you are way overthinking this and that's the problem. Just go shoot pool. I mean, I played in a league 3 nights a week. One night on Valley, one night on Diamond bar box, and one night on 9 foot GC. It just didn't matter. Unless you really can't remember you're on a Valley versus a GC, then you would have other problems to worry about.

had a team mate forget which ball to shoot first in 9 ball twice in the same rack,
i stopped playing apa 9ball this week btw lmao

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dam* Black Balled, you my man.
Screenshot_20211028-131637__01.jpg

eg9327

OK, so I think I agree with just about everyone that there is a complete disconnect between cause and effect going in here, but you got to admit DogPileMiller gave us all a great chuckle. Thanks!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
newer players need to experiment to find out things and to see what works for them. thats learning.
hats off to him for bringing this here. i hope he finds that the stick or tip do nothing to change those things. but it gives him confidence and thats what you need to improve. when he does he will find his way.

and to the op good luck and watch what you see on here. one top player believes the earth is flat.
others have these weird useless systems to aim. but work for them.
most think changing to newer type cues make them play better. nope just gives them more confidence and that makes them play better.