Purchased a different Shaft and tip to play on a Diamond Table vs. Brunswick Gold Crown

docgpmiller

Yeah this sounds like a Dr. Dave investigation and do some analysis. Dr. Dave has proven and disproven different things over the years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry but that makes no sense to me.
I totally agree.
Pretty sure no two tables play alike.
I am also pretty sure that you have to adjust to the table instead of
switching out equipment.
Yup.
I'm an Indian guy rather than the arrow.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah this sounds like a Dr. Dave investigation and do some analysis. Dr. Dave has proven and disproven different things over the years.

Relax bud.
Everyone is just ribbing you.
It's good natured though.
Take it in stride.
You are relatively new here so are probably somewhat of a newbie to the game.
I could be wrong.
Sometimes posting here is like doing standup comedy.
You get heckled.
Enjoy your journey.
It's a great game and no matter your level there is still learning in your future.
I'm still traveling down the road of my journey too and my Fargo is only 895.
Hahahaha.

docgpmiller

Relax bud.
Everyone is just ribbing you.
It's good natured though.
Take it in stride.
You are relatively new here so are probably somewhat of a newbie to the game.
I could be wrong.
Sometimes posting here is like doing standup comedy.
You get heckled.
Enjoy your journey.
It's a great game and no matter your level there is still learning I n your future.
I'm still traveling down the road of my journey too and my Fargo is only 895.
Hahahaha.
Yeah I get it- I am new to the Board- I know it's just part of it. I started playing 48 years ago then quit playing serious pool for 40 years and now just getting back into the last 1-1/2 years.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think it can make sense in the narrow setting you describe - a way to reduce shot speeds uniformly for a single purpose.

I'd want to learn to adjust with my main player - maybe this is a step in that direction...?

pj
chgo

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure a different tip and shaft can account for bank differences, but if you train consistently with different equipment for different situations then the cue in your hand can become a clue to your subconscious to adjust your routine/aim. That said, it’s still gonna take twice as long to master.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something along the lines of OP. 2 cues, one sort of dead, the other more lively. As long as the deflection is similar, adjustment would be minimal. Use dead cue on faster table, and the other cue on the slow table. Opinions?

docgpmiller

Do you use a lot of english, side spin, when you bank?
Center ball to a maximum of 1 tip above center on single bank shots. I try to avoid side spin unless I have to compensate to go long or short of my natural medium speed shot bank. I don't do the 2:1 slow roll very often as I don't control that as well, compared to my other standard banks. That is for side banks. Longitudinal Banks I am using more of a 2:1. Shot speed varies based on CB and OB positions.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I get it- I am new to the Board- I know it's just part of it. I started playing 48 years ago then quit playing serious pool for 40 years and now just getting back into the last 1-1/2 years.

Same boat as me.
Got back into the game about 8 years ago after a 40 plus year hiatus.
Play better now than ever.
Good luck to ya.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something along the lines of OP. 2 cues, one sort of dead, the other more lively. As long as the deflection is similar, adjustment would be minimal. Use dead cue on faster table, and the other cue on the slow table. Opinions?
I like to use a 19 oz cue on slow tables, and an 18 oz cue on fast tables. It usually works for me.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when I shoot banks on the Gold Crown for many years I have learned my Bank Shots a certain way. If I shoot on the Diamond of course they are slightly short due to the Rails which is widely known. I purchased a Viking Vikore Shaft and installed a Black Kamui Super Soft Tip and it will go long about a quarter Diamond on the the Gold Crown. So When I play on the Diamond Table it is just right to compensate for the Diamond shortness. Therefore, for MY GAME I am able to shoot the same on Gold Crowns and Diamonds with just Changing out my Shaft. BTW I use a Viking Vpro Shaft and Elkmaster Soft tip on my Gold Crown tables.

Hey guys I’m new here , I actually do the same thing … Does anyone wanna play some ? lol 😂

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This threat and its entire premise is ludicrous.

A contention by changing a tip can make to inherently different pool tables play the same to an end user is beyond insanity. It is akin to saying you can make your minivan drive like a sedan by changing your shoes.

Trollololollolololol

Yes, but if you lower the mini-van, upgrade the wheels, tires, brakes and engine?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had someone just yesterday try to tell me that she uses english to make the cueball go to the left or the right. So if she wants to "not scratch" and the cueball to move to the left, she hits the cueball on the left side. Had absolutely no idea about the tangent line or aim or what spin does, but to her mind the side spin on the cueball is what made it go to the side, not the angle of the shot. She took the effect and applied it to the wrong cause. Note this was a 3 in the APA so about a D, D+ level player, but she was fully convinced, and tried to argue with me me, that what she was doing was causing the cueball to go to one side or the other even after I demonstrated on like 20 shots that it's not.

I think the same thing is being done here, especially after such a short period of time. Why you would bank better with another tip has nothing to do with the tip, you just happened to bank well on that table for 10 minutes and the equipment had nothing to do with it.

docgpmiller

I had someone just yesterday try to tell me that she uses english to make the cueball go to the left or the right. So if she wants to "not scratch" and the cueball to move to the left, she hits the cueball on the left side. Had absolutely no idea about the tangent line or aim or what spin does, but to her mind the side spin on the cueball is what made it go to the side, not the angle of the shot. She took the effect and applied it to the wrong cause. Note this was a 3 in the APA so about a D, D+ level player, but she was fully convinced, and tried to argue with me me, that what she was doing was causing the cueball to go to one side or the other even after I demonstrated on like 20 shots that it's not.

I think the same thing is being done here, especially after such a short period of time. Why you would bank better with another tip has nothing to do with the tip, you just happened to bank well on that table for 10 minutes and the equipment had nothing to do with it.
Yeah I understand what you are saying and I am not arguing the point at all - I just wanted to know if there were other people experience the same thing or like you said it is something else going on - which over time, I think I will be able to figure out what it is.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shit! I take it all back!!

You see, I have this pair of driving shoes that is a little too big and I have rarely worn them.

Well, I wore them today, and I'll be damned. My foookkkin car was fast as shit.
IMG_20211022_182238__01.jpg

Last edited: