Push out vs Ball in hand

Ball in Hand or Old School Push Out

• Total voters

EZMoney

Could this be your money?
Silver Member
I've been playing in a Wednesday night handicap tournament for the last couple of years. Handicaps range from 3 - 10, top pros at 10, shortstops at 9, I'm a 7. It’s a race to 4 with a spot of the difference between handicaps as a ball spot, starting with a ball spot of the 5 and out. If the gap is larger than 4 then the better player races to added games. If a 10 played a 3 then the spot would be the 5 out plus the pro goes to 7 games.

Currently the game has been played ball in hand with no three shot foul rule. I would like to see this changed to the old school rule of push out. Currently the better players seem to be in the winners circle most of the time. I think this would help make the tournament a little fairer. I would rather force my opponent to make a hard shot or pass and let me try it, than give then ball in hand. What do you think?

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Two Shot Foul vs One Shot Foul

Two Shot Roll Out/Push is by far the best way to play rotational games, But one thing about getting spots/weight playing two fouls though is your spots are Not nearly as large playing that way because after being put in a trap you just roll /push out.

But why the game is better for the players is that you learn the game of bank pool, one pocket and straight pool by playing Two Shot Roll Out/Push during a rotational game, all those games come much more into play during the game than by playing one foul, thus you become a more all around player!

David Harcrow

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you change the rules to push-out you are giving the better players a much better chance to dominate the tournament. Push-out is better fitted for the better player because it virtually eliminates most of the luck, which is what the lesser players needs to compete.

I hope everything is good with you Easymoney.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Comments

If you change the rules to push-out you are giving the better players a much better chance to dominate the tournament. Push-out is better fitted for the better player because it virtually eliminates most of the luck, which is what the lesser players needs to compete.

I hope everything is good with you Easymoney.

He is exactly right about this...

EZMoney

Could this be your money?
Silver Member
I'm on my phone now, have to be short.
Tks for the reply Frank, but as I posted the better players are winning more often than not.

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push out favors the better player. If they are better than a 8, to give the 5 and lower, last two balls in addition to their weight. That way the better players can not play it to safe. SO a five would get the 6 and last two balls, this really opens it up to be anyones game. I however don't like it cause it is hard to overcome that kind of weight. John

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beg your pardon I didn't know we had talked about this yet, indulge me pls.

Using the search function would have shown you a ton of "discussions" about this. A lot of them degenerate into arguments, but such is the forum nowadays.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Push out favors the better player. If they are better than a 8, to give the 5 and lower, last two balls in addition to their weight. That way the better players can not play it to safe. SO a five would get the 6 and last two balls, this really opens it up to be anyones game. I however don't like it cause it is hard to overcome that kind of weight. John

Yes/No....Ones board play then becomes critical. Often, the better shooting player can be easily offset by You gettin' to the ball first most all the time 70/30. Roll out sure does improve ones ability to overcut a ball.

BrokeHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One in the hand is better than 2 in the bush!
I like ball in hand it requires less thinking and i don't like thinking it hurts my brain.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I'm on my phone now, have to be short.
Tks for the reply Frank, but as I posted the better players are winning more often than not.

That's what games of skill are about. The better players tend to win more often. Push out 9 ball will help the better players win even more because there is less luck involved. If you want the weaker players to win more often, use a heavier handicap system.

Last edited:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking luck out of nine ball = the best players win more often but win less money because the donators that require luck stop playing tournaments and stop gambling as much.

A little bit like what might happen to the ABP.