Quantity of quality of players today

SlateMan

Registered
I believe there has been several discussions about the number of quality players today vs yesteryears. I would imagine some of it has to do with the availability of tables and the quality of instruction. In the example I use below, you will also see how an expert pool player vs a really good (great compared to me) pool player can vary with instruction. Some people say to get the best player you can to instruct you. In these two videos, you see a trained educator vs an expert pool player. I know that technology also plays a huge role in this comparison/example. Academic research has found one big difference between experts and novices (sorry Dr. Dave, I'm throwing you in the later category here) is that experts jump right to their decision/action where a novice tends to go step by step. I think the combination of Dr. Dave's pedogeological experience and him being closer to a novice (in this example) allows him to give us the step-by-step walk through of the shot in the examples below. Meanwhile, if you were trying to learn this shot from Grady in high speed, it could take a very long time with the rewind button....

Even if you don't agree with me on my post, this is still a very cool shot!

Grady Mathews: One Pocket Shot: Double Kiss off of the rail

Dr. Dave: One Pocket Shot: Double Kiss off of the rail

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This shot is less than 50-50 at best, and can easily cost you the game if you mess it up. One other thing, this is harder to make on a Diamond table - different rails I believe.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jersey red made it famous
has his name
the jersey red shot/bank
correct me if i am wrong jay

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This shot is less than 50-50 at best, and can easily cost you the game if you mess it up. One other thing, this is harder to make on a Diamond table - different rails I believe.
You really want blocker balls around so that your opponent is unlikely to have a shot if you miss.

Depending on how far the OB is from the pocket and the angle the cue ball is coming in on, you may not need any side spin. There are a lot of different combinations to learn.

I think Diamond has "faster" rails than average. That is, the ball comes off the cushion sooner than typical. That changes the timing of the shot, but I think the shot is still there but takes a different hit or spin.

Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe there has been several discussions about the number of quality players today vs yesteryears. I would imagine some of it has to do with the availability of tables and the quality of instruction. In the example I use below, you will also see how an expert pool player vs a really good (great compared to me) pool player can vary with instruction. Some people say to get the best player you can to instruct you. In these two videos, you see a trained educator vs an expert pool player. I know that technology also plays a huge role in this comparison/example. Academic research has found one big difference between experts and novices (sorry Dr. Dave, I'm throwing you in the later category here) is that experts jump right to their decision/action where a novice tends to go step by step. I think the combination of Dr. Dave's pedogeological experience and him being closer to a novice (in this example) allows him to give us the step-by-step walk through of the shot in the examples below. Meanwhile, if you were trying to learn this shot from Grady in high speed, it could take a very long time with the rewind button....

Even if you don't agree with me on my post, this is still a very cool shot!

Grady Mathews: One Pocket Shot: Double Kiss off of the rail

Dr. Dave: One Pocket Shot: Double Kiss off of the rail
In the bank shot Grady shows just after the Jersey Red kiss shot, it looks like the cue ball goes to the end rail and clears before the OB crosses. This position is a very old trick shot where the kiss is avoided by rattling the cue ball in the pocket. (CB on the foot spot, OB frozen to the long rail close to the pocket.) I don't think I've ever seen it played without the rattle.

SlateMan

Registered
In the bank shot Grady shows just after the Jersey Red kiss shot, it looks like the cue ball goes to the end rail and clears before the OB crosses. This position is a very old trick shot where the kiss is avoided by rattling the cue ball in the pocket. (CB on the foot spot, OB frozen to the long rail close to the pocket.) I don't think I've ever seen it played without the rattle.
He may have been trying to do the rattle. It's crazy to think he did all of this on the fly with little to no editing or cuts. There are several times he shows an example that goes wrong. He just pushes on and usually his tell is he will say something like "anyway, that's a good shot" and then boom on to the next example.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie joplin had it in his onepocket tape

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can't make this shot on a Diamond table, unless you move the object ball up an inch or two farther from the corner pocket. You can make it on a GC.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Grady's video is supposed to be a training video?? It seems to me that he is simply just showing all the shots he can make. I like the way he holds his hand up after another completed shot, its like he is saying "there you go, I told you I had this one". :) :)

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Grady's video is supposed to be a training video?? It seems to me that he is simply just showing all the shots he can make. I like the way he holds his hand up after another completed shot, its like he is saying "there you go, I told you I had this one". :) :)
That's kind of how the old timers I learned from taught the game and I assume it was how they were taught I think because they assume you are already a fairly good player. I teach my students more in depth, but that's because they are generally a lower level and need a little bit more hand holding. Decent players should be able to recreate most practical shots within a few tries after seeing it even without an in depth explanation.