• I look at the Cue Ball last

Votes: 33 15.0%
  • I look at the Object Ball last

Votes: 187 85.0%

• Total voters

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Object ball. That's what instructors teach students. Shoot where you look.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Depends on the shot, mostly I look at the object ball. On special shots that require a very high degree of accuracy, I look at the cueball. (break shot, masse, jump shots)

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I've helped few locals with there game by telling them too look at OB last not QB they all say its helped ton I have heard some say they like too look at QB last when breaking not sure if a lot of guys do that but I don't

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Arguments for looking at the CB last

I look at the OB first to set my aim line.
Once my bridge is planted, I look at the CB.

1. If my aim line was correctly set to start with, I don't need to see the OB last. (It is not moving from where I last saw it!)
2. Monitoring the CB last (or, better said, my CUE TIP) helps to ensure I hit with the
A. chosen English,
B. speed,
C. follow through, and
D. I can monitor my stroke for straightness

In other words, I have better success monitoring and executing a good stroke on the right contact point of the CB than I do by looking at the OB last.

But hey, you do what works for you.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look at the OB first to set my aim line.
Once my bridge is planted, I look at the CB.

1. If my aim line was correctly set to start with, I don't need to see the OB last. (It is not moving from where I last saw it!)
2. Monitoring the CB last (or, better said, my CUE TIP) helps to ensure I hit with the
A. chosen English,
B. speed,
C. follow through, and
D. I can monitor my stroke for straightness

In other words, I have better success monitoring and executing a good stroke on the right contact point of the CB than I do by looking at the OB last.

But hey, you do what works for you.

And what about when you miss?

How do you know what adjustments to make for next time when you aren't focused on the OB path?

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member

How do you know what adjustments to make for next time when you aren't focused on the OB path?

I miss both ways, just less so when I look at the CB last.

Who says I'm not focussed on the OB path? I am, to the best of my ability. I simply do that first, and the CB last.
The OB being on the correct path to the pocket depends on the CB being on the correct path to the ghost ball.

But, like I said, you do what works for you. I am not trying to convert anyone.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to look at the object ball last, but I'm always tempted to look at the cue ball last. It seems more natural to me to look at the CB last, so it's always a struggle to force myself to look at the OB last.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Object ball last except when breaking. When breaking I look at the cue ball 60% of the time. Damn phenolic tip is so hard and unforgiving I always fear a miscue. 40 % of the time object ball on break because that's where I should be looking!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Only time I look at cb last is when it's froze to the rail, and need to hit it a little firmer than I really want to. If you miss left or right on that one, you are gonna miss your shot, so I need to hit dead on center ball, what little of it I can see.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Need a third option... sometimes I switch it up depending ont he shot, specifically the distance of it.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I look at the OB last...and take it one step further: I take a "snapshot" of the CB-OB collision. It forces me to stay down on the shot and gives me immediate feedback about whether or not I hit the CB where I intended to.

I used to focus on the CB last because arthritis in my neck makes it difficult to see the OB if it's more than 3-4 feet away. But one day I adjusted my stance so I could see the OB last, and my pocketing improved immediately. Then, when I was confident in pocketing the ball, I could work on english and position play. (It's hard to think much about position play when you're unsure of even pocketing the ball.)

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick poll: When throwing a baseball do you look at the baseball/your hand/your arm last or do you look at the target last?

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm asking this in all seriousness, so please don't take offense. How does a CTE user know what adjustments to make if the alignment itself leads you to center pocket automatically? Do you mean just making stroke adjustments, or is there actually a way to adjust the visual perception for that shot if you are off a bit?

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally look at the CB last except on closer shots. Kinda a depth perception issue when I look at the OB last. Find it harder to feel the speed of the shot. Do ok my way. certainly not changing now.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look at the object ball last. The cue ball is always at the same spot in reference to my tip and shaft. The object ball is the one that is in different places. For me the longer that I can stay focused on the object ball before pulling the trigger, the more consistent I am with the shot.

When I got into a match I could tell if my opponent played a lot by studying his eyes. If he goes back and forth with his eyes that told me that he is mostly a causal player. If he stays on the object longer than I knew I was in for a long day.