Question on leather wrap(feel)

Zoltor

Registered
I haven't played pool in 10 years(a flood warped my cue sigh), so I finally decided to buy a new cue, and start playing again(omg I'm gonna be so rusty, not playing in a month is bad enough, but 10 years, ouch).

Back then, wraps in general were rarely seen on a cue, and although feel probally doesn't matter much in my case(10 years is a long time lol), I was wondering what other people thought about leather wrap?

Also, is there some annoying maintenance I need to do, like oiling,and such?

PS. I'm about to order my new cue, which does indeed have a leather wrap, so I was just wondering.

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cues for viewing

You are welcome to visit my website and see if anything there interests you.
http://www.triplecrosscues.com

I do most types of wrap including leather as you will see. It can have a firm feel or can be softened for a more luxurious feel. This does depend on thickness and type of leather.

Let me know if I can help with your decision.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

Zoltor

Registered
TripXQ said:
You are welcome to visit my website and see if anything there interests you.
http://www.triplecrosscues.com

I do most types of wrap including leather as you will see. It can have a firm feel or can be softened for a more luxurious feel. This does depend on thickness and type of leather.

Let me know if I can help with your decision.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

Nice site, alot better then most custom cue sites, as you actually list the woods you use/can get(every custom cue site should list the woods, wrap material, and exc, but I don't know why they don't), and the funny thing is, I never even heard of you before lol.

Well, I kind've picked out a cue to buy already, but if I ever decide to get one custom made, from the ground up, I'll keep you in mind(btw that Ziricote wood is some sweet ass wood).

Lol, you did a Python skin wrap as well, I imagine that would feel pretty wierd?

Well anyway, I just basically wanted to see if alot of people liked leather better then wood, and vice-versa, but thanks for the link anyway.

PS. You should put some type of gerneral pricing system(specifically over the basics, like pricing each wood, as well as each type of wrap).

To Craig Fales: By all means, please learn how to read, I said it was "rarely" seen. There were cues with leather wraps back in the 90s, but outside of tournament players, it was almost unheard of, maybe 1 out of 50 players had one with a leather wrap.

Last edited:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Are you getting a production cue? On a production cue, more often than not they do not put on a leather wrap very well. The seam sticks out and is sometimes not even cut straight or sometimes there are gaps at the ends. It's easy to mess up a leather wrap.

As far as feel and all that, they come in a variety. I have a small crocodile print cow leather that is soft, a pig leather that is also soft, another pig leather that is hard and slippery. Anyway, you get the idea. Maintenance is easy just wipe it down with a towel. They should last a couple of years, maybe even the life of the cue if you take care of it.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I got the same good laugh out of your statement about leather wraps "rarely seen" 10 years ago. By all means, please learn to correctly express yourself, because You clearly meant to say that you had rarely seen leather wraps in the past. When you make a misstatement like that here you are gonna get ribbed, better have some thick skin and roll with the punches.

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
I've got three cues with leather, and it's defintely my favorite. Just bought an old Joss with linen, and if I deem it a keeper, some cuemaker's going to get another leather job. I prefer the harder-feeling variation. One of my cues has a softer leather from Atlas, and I'm not nuts about that one. For maintenance, get some Lexol leather cleaner from a good hardware store or an Auto Parts store. That's all you need to keep it clean and conditioned. Lexol's leather conditioner/dressing is a little to slippery for my taste on a cue, but it works great on a leather case.

Bill

Zoltor

Registered
JohnPT said:
Are you getting a production cue? On a production cue, more often than not they do not put on a leather wrap very well. The seam sticks out and is sometimes not even cut straight or sometimes there are gaps at the ends. It's easy to mess up a leather wrap.

As far as feel and all that, they come in a variety. I have a small crocodile print cow leather that is soft, a pig leather that is also soft, another pig leather that is hard and slippery. Anyway, you get the idea. Maintenance is easy just wipe it down with a towel. They should last a couple of years, maybe even the life of the cue if you take care of it.

Well, It's technically a custom with a set design(aka production) by the company. I'm getting a McDermott M7-QR6

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mcdermott/mcderm_m7qr6.htm

It comes defualt with a Leather Wrap, but you could choose a different wrap if you wanted to.

PS. Ok cool, thanks everyone.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leather

Zoltor said:
I haven't played pool in 10 years(a flood warped my cue sigh), so I finally decided to buy a new cue, and start playing again(omg I'm gonna be so rusty, not playing in a month is bad enough, but 10 years, ouch).

Back then, wraps in general were rarely seen on a cue, and although feel probally doesn't matter much in my case(10 years is a long time lol), I was wondering what other people thought about leather wrap?

Also, is there some annoying maintenance I need to do, like oiling,and such?

PS. I'm about to order my new cue, which does indeed have a leather wrap, so I was just wondering.
I play with a Lizard wrap on my cue. I played linen for years and years. Lizard is the first leather wrap that feels better to me the anything else I have tried.

DOUG
http://www.patrickcustomcues.com

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I have pig skin on my JMW, lizard on one of my Mottey's and I used to have a Mottey that had ostrich. The ostrich was really nice.
MULLY

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I have leather wraps on all my cues but one which has no wrap....I use Master Quick Shine... It is sold on the Tiger web site and runs about $16.00.....It makes leather shine and look like new. It works great.
You can also use Lemom Pledge but put on light or the wrap feels sticky....

Balabushka

Now that's a dress code.
Silver Member
NINEBALLART said:
I have leather wraps on all my cues but one which has no wrap....I use Master Quick Shine... It is sold on the Tiger web site and runs about $16.00.....It makes leather shine and look like new. It works great.

How would that MASTER QUICK SHINE work on a real old (40 yr old) leather wrap, that is in perfect condition? Is it safe?

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott

I'm playing with a McDermott M72C Rio with a Predator shaft since my 2 Annie-O Cues were stolen from me. It has a leather wrap, which is my personal prefference. My Annie-O cue had a leather wrap also.
The McDermott plays good with the predator shaft; although, compared with the Annie-O, I would trade 2 of the MeDermotts to get it back.

Zoltor

Registered
NINEBALLART said:

Cool, now how often should I use such, is once a week good, more then that, or perhaps even less?

PS. Sounds good everyone, can't wait to get my cue :) .

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Zoltor said:
Cool, now how often should I use such, is once a week good, more then that, or perhaps even less?

PS. Sounds good everyone, can't wait to get my cue :) .

For what it's worth, and I'm not trying to downplay or insult what Nineballart said but, I've NEVER put anything on any of my wraps and they look just fine. My hands don't perspire much though so I don't have any of that sweat acid breaking it down either. I usually just wipe it off with a dry cloth.......water can dry out leather real bad so I don't use a wet cloth. But yeah, I would see no reason to have to use anything on it.
MULLY

Zoltor

Registered
mullyman said:
For what it's worth, and I'm not trying to downplay or insult what Nineballart said but, I've NEVER put anything on any of my wraps and they look just fine. My hands don't perspire much though so I don't have any of that sweat acid breaking it down either. I usually just wipe it off with a dry cloth.......water can dry out leather real bad so I don't use a wet cloth. But yeah, I would see no reason to have to use anything on it.
MULLY

Oh ok, sweet, thanks.