Quick question, SouthWest or Blugrass???

Johnfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi guys. Just wanted everyone's opinion. Which cue is a better investment.....assuming all specs are the same for both cues.

I had ask a similar question a while back about which is better, Mottey and Bill Stroud and most people chimed in with Mottey is a better buy.

So, I hope everyone can spare a moment and educate me on these two cue makers.

Oh, by the way, most SW cues does not come with inlays (I guess they are too busy) so try to evenly compare a blue grass with no inlays.

Thank you all for your time,

John

PAINPOOL

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well

Johnfan said:
Hi guys. Just wanted everyone's opinion. Which cue is a better investment.....assuming all specs are the same for both cues.

I had ask a similar question a while back about which is better, Mottey and Bill Stroud and most people chimed in with Mottey is a better buy.

Oh, by the way, most SW cues does not come with inlays (I guess they are too busy) so try to evenly compare a blue grass with no inlays.

John

SW is probably a little better. I do feel that theres no quality difference. Just the secondary market is a little stonger. I personally would rather have the BlueGrass for the money. Thanx Aaron 815-243-1101

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Johnfan said:

John
My choice would be the South West cue if I had to pick between these two cues. SW cues are well made and they play well and they are one of the hottest cues on the secondary market. If you don't overpay when you buy a used SW cue you can sell it after owning and playing with it for what you have in it or more without much trouble because of the LONG wait for a new cue and people want to own cues that are hard to get.

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
As far as investment, IMO they are very close. Plain Jane BGs go for 900-1400 depending on the wood type. Satin SWs go for 1000-1500. 6 point BGs 2000-2500. 6 point SWs 2500-3200 depending on wood & veneer combo, # of rings and vintage of cue. So if its a coin toss on investment value, and the deciding factor then became playability... go for the BlueGrass. I say this cause I own both brands of cue. And I like the hit of my Bluegrass better than my JF SouthWest.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have to agree with Qjunkie on this. I had a Southwest and I own a Bluegrass cue as well. Southwest cues sell very well on the secondary market, although there are far more of them than there are Bluegrass. Southwest has been making many cues per year and Richard Harris is a one-man operation who stopped taking orders in Jan 2005. They are essentially the same type of construction, flat faced wood joint, phenolic collar, and 3/8X11 Brass pin. My Bluegrass hits better (one man's opinion) than my Southwest did. It will be interesting to see if the Bluegrass cues go up in value in the future, as there will undoubtedly be less of them available.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
IMO, if you are strictly talking investment value, then definitely a South West. If you had one for sale right now, you're talking a market of literally 100s of potential buyers vs. maybe 10-20. Although the market has tended to go from 'hot' to 'lukewarm' to 'hot' at times, I've yet to see the market for SW get 'cold' and no evidence to suggest they will anytime soon. Can't say the same for Blue Grass. They are great cues, too, but SW gets the nod on this IMO....

Sean

thingie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
if you are talking abt playability, I would be more likely to say bluegrass.

if you are talking abt saleability, I would have to say southwest.

RogerSLC-LV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
One of the things I consider when making an investment is how fast it can be converted to cash when I think the timing is appropriate. The more potential buyers there are gives you a better chance of getting fair market value or higher. I think the nod would have to go to South West. Case in point ...there is a nice looking BlueGrass on Ebay from what I would consider a reputable seller. There is a Buy-It-Now price of $1100 and the auction is about 28 hours old. I have never seen a comparably priced South West in reasonable condition last that long. Having said that.......I'm considering buying the BlueGrass.
Just an Opinion.
Regards, Roger

pharaoh68

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Johnfan said:

John-
If its an investment that you're looking at, you'd be better off with a South West. It will hold its resale value and even appreciate in value over time. Do to the fact that they are so sought after, selling one is easy.

As far as playability goes, let's face it. They both have a pretty impeccable reputation in that department. South West has an 8+ year wait. Richard Harris closed his list at 8 years. You don't get numbers like that without a track record for quality. I've played with South West's and I have to say, I prefer the play of a Bluegrass. As well, I like Richard's style of cues. With a SW, you are likely going to get the same design over and over again. And, seeing as how they aren't doing inlay work and fancy cues at the moment, there will be little you can do to assure that your cue truly stands out form other SW's out there.

Now, on the flip-side, you'll have more design possibilities with Richard Harris. However, that's only if you're on his list already. If not, you'll have to settle for someone else's design on the second hand market.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either but as far as resale goes, South West may be the choice.

keepitreal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Buy all 4 of these makers

From the list of names you have already mentioned, Mottey, JW, Bluegrass & Southwest are all excellent cues in aesthetics, playability, and investment. I can name many others, that you have not mentioned, heretofore. You cannot go wrong, shopping all four of these makers, until such time that you possess one of each, then you will be an official addict like me, and many others on this board. (Misery loves company). Note: Excellent buyers market, take advantage while you can.

danlamb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with the SW

Johnfan said:

John
I feel that the playability would not be an issue,as the hit is almost exactly alike.However the SW cues are always a hot commodity with secondary market buyers.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
As usual

cueaddicts said:
IMO, if you are strictly talking investment value, then definitely a South West. If you had one for sale right now, you're talking a market of literally 100s of potential buyers vs. maybe 10-20. Although the market has tended to go from 'hot' to 'lukewarm' to 'hot' at times, I've yet to see the market for SW get 'cold' and no evidence to suggest they will anytime soon. Can't say the same for Blue Grass. They are great cues, too, but SW gets the nod on this IMO....

Sean

As usual, I agree 100% with Sean.

I really wanted to disagree, really.

Damn he is always right.....

LOL

Ken

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood used by Bluegrass is, in my opinion, better than that used by Southwest, especially the shaft wood.

Playability is subjective but I think Southwest is better.

Collectibility wise, Southwest hands down in my opinion.

Richard