Racking ethics

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the situation - You are in a match that is important to you/your team. Alternate break. Your opponent is slug racking you every time. Asking for a new rack is not helping. If TD is there he will tell you to get over it after 2-3 reracks and hit it. Opponent will not allow you (and rules require opponents consent) to rack your own.

Do you

1) Suck it up, hit the rack as well as you can, and continue to give him a quality rack

2) Suck it up, hit the rack as well as you can, and give him an equally bad rack

3) Demand a new rack until you're satisfied no matter what, and continue to give him a quality rack

4) Demand a new rack until you're satisfied no matter what, and give him bad racks so he has to do the same

Options 3 and 4 dependent on the presence of league/tournament director.

Also, quick update to OP that is relevant - this was a nine ball match between competitive teams. It's not life or death to us but we are competitors in every sense of the word. Opponents team would push the rack ahead of the spot, then tighten from the wing balls while pulling the rack slowly into position. This allowed the balls behind the 9 to gap slightly, creating a slug.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough call

If they are intentionally screwing you with the rack I would call them on it and make sure others heard me. I would then tell them they will get the same rack if they persist in cheating.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, you could get there ahead of time and tap the table.

Or, bring your own precision triangle (Delta-13) and rack at the other end of the table where there are fewer craters.

Do you point out the particular offending gaps to the racker?

Does breaking on the second ball work?

Halfjack87

In Training
Silver Member
This is one of the hardest things for me to get my head around - How in the Thunder did anyone ever decide that your opponent should rack for your break? :confused:

Sorry if this is an amateurish perspective - but that just seems stupid...

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Ran into this myself just a few weeks back. #3 is really your only option as it's mid-match. If you run into the player again, then you can hash it out BEFORE the match starts and use a magic rack or Delta-13 (as mentioned above) if available.

On a side note, 67 is a bit too new for my taste. Picked up this '63 bullet bird not too long ago.
11692716_10206122595718325_8218119085594783380_n.jpg

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ran into this myself just a few weeks back. #3 is really your only option as it's mid-match. If you run into the player again, then you can hash it out BEFORE the match starts and use a magic rack or Delta-13 (as mentioned above) if available.

On a side note, 67 is a bit too new for my taste. Picked up this '63 bullet bird not too long ago.
11692716_10206122595718325_8218119085594783380_n.jpg

Woot!! One of my favorites!:thumbup:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I figure that he has to play out of the same rack and I don't have a problem playing a deathly slow game, I don't like it much, but if it's what the table dictates...
I switch up my break a little so he has to deal with the same mess and when I rack I give it the same attention that he gave the rack. I don't intentionally slug rack, but I do as he does and I exercise patience ' cause this is gonna take a while

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would probably just put less effort into giving him a good rack. If your blood is boiling because of it, he has already taken you off your game a bit

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
could it be that your break is not as wonderful as you perceive it to be? heaven forbid you might be having an off-night; it does happen.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could it be that your break is not as wonderful as you perceive it to be? heaven forbid you might be having an off-night; it does happen.
Could it be that his break is so wonderful that rainbows come out of his cue?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
67 Tbird, are you letting Bob Romano's wife use your account again??? ��

As I had mentioned in another thread, in my pool hall this never really was too much of a problem. If this kept happening and it was intentional people were quick to explain it to you that was not cool in a way you were garunteed to understand and not likely soon to forget.

In response to your question I would start at #2 and quickly move to #4 if it continued.

BTW, Leon very cool car - I love it! Does it have a 352 or 390? Let me add a 312 to that too. I'm a Ford guy but not really as up to speed with the old birds as I should be though. Either way you have a very clean, cool car brother!

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the guy was nice about it and tried his best, and asked questions about what what wrong, etc. I would probably try to help him or show him what to do if he allowed. I would also be considerably more apt to accept a so-so rack. If my opponent is an ass, gets defensive, etc., then I will offer to rack our own. If he refuses, then it better be damn perfect. In APA, where there is no pushout, you could always play a soft 2 rail shot and stick the cueball on the back of the rack.

Bottom line, it isn't the responsibility of the racker to care about or know anything about the rack. It *is* their responsibility to give a tight rack to the best of their ability. Their ability *INCLUDES ENLISTING THE HELP OF OTHERS*, like the TD or their opponent. I think rack your own is the only way to go. Feel free to check the racks if you think something is fishy.

No matter what, I'm always going to give my opponent an excellent rack. Hopefully they will do the same, and if not, hopefully the rules allow me some options.

KMRUNOUT

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
And, this is the very reason that all my Events are Rack Your Own!!!

However, if I weren't getting a good rack I'd make a nescience of myself till somebody did something about it. Even if it meant that the TD had to come rack himself, if they wouldn't let me rack my own. I certainly wouldn't continue to give them a good rack while they game me crap.

~Black Cat~ :cool:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Hell, if somebody cares about winning enough to cheat? I'd let 'em...

It's only a game and league is a social activity. If it frustrates you enough to stop being fun, find another activity.