radial shaft question

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I'm looking for a radial shaft. Most of the sites I've seen don't just say radial.
Pechauer, Cuetec, uniloc, 3/8-10....

What would work on a radial?

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
No one?

Please just a lil assistance... Search function didn't turn up anything and I don't want to jump into a $200 mistake...

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Radial is a type of pin.
Most aftermarket shaft manufacturers offer it as an option.
Most cue repair guys who finish partial shafts will be able to tap a radial thread.
If it doesn't say radial, don't waste your money

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Ok besides the other listed I am looking at a 3/8-8. Some manufacturers do not sell as a radial.

What's the thread pitch on a radial shaft?

Not really interested in who makes what, just the thread pitch please...

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok besides the other listed I am looking at a 3/8-8. Some manufacturers do not sell as a radial.

What's the thread pitch on a radial shaft?

Not really interested in who makes what, just the thread pitch please...

I doubt you'll get a definite answer for the pitch. :shakehead:

Enigmaticul

Banned
The real authentic radial pin made and patented by the Uni-loc corporation is 3/8-7.81, the knock off are 3/8x8 and they will fit but it will not be a "perfect" fit and they will screw in harder then usual.

The thing is some custom cue makers try to save a buck by going with radial Pins made by machine shops. The problem is these pins are hit and miss.

If you have a cue that already has a radial pin getting a shaft will not be a problem because the only taps available on the market to tap a radial thread are from atlas Billiards and they are the real deal.

Just get a predator (314 or z2) or ob. Both great performer shafts.

Also check ebay

Check this item number 321089866488

Not my item but I have shot with a g- core before and it is good. Check the McDermott web page for performance details.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
That's kind of what I figured.

I have a Dale Perry cue found a Katana shaft that is being sold as 3/8-8.

Wouldn't mind an OB but I don't want a conical taper. And I can't seem to find the difference in pro and modified pro.

I'm not discounting a DP shaft, but if I can find what I'm looking for for cheaper used, I'd rather do that.

Since the cue itself was so inexpensive, I'm not wanting to dump a lot of money into it. It's just a feeler for how a radial hits and feels.

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO radial hits like a 3/8-10 but its easier to center a radial pin so aftermarket shafts are easier to get lined up.

Enigmaticul

Banned
Yup that is true. Personally I love radial. One because it is so easy to install the pin in the cues I build. And second be purse of the feel. Radial pin z2 shaft=monster.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's kind of what I figured.

I have a Dale Perry cue found a Katana shaft that is being sold as 3/8-8.

Wouldn't mind an OB but I don't want a conical taper. And I can't seem to find the difference in pro and modified pro.

I'm not discounting a DP shaft, but if I can find what I'm looking for for cheaper used, I'd rather do that.

Since the cue itself was so inexpensive, I'm not wanting to dump a lot of money into it. It's just a feeler for how a radial hits and feels.

Not all OB shafts are conical - I recommend the OB-2.

My 2 cents,

Gary

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
the knock off are 3/8x8 and they will fit but it will not be a "perfect" fit and they will screw in harder then usual.

The only cue that I possessed was an Elite Cue with that type of a pin.

The Uni Loc Radial tapped shaft will go about 1 to 2 turns and stop. Anyone who feels they should force a shaft on after that will get what they deserve so to speak.

I plugged and tapped the shaft I was making for that particular cue with a Uni Loc tap. I did this for a test. You still couldn't force it on and if you did, you would probably rip out the existing threads. Or at the very least, end up with something nasty.

The pin was replaced with a 3/8ths x 10.

Considering this, I have no idea as to why you'd feel the need to tell people that they can be force fit.

Considering that there are many novice people on AZ that ask questions because they would like to know, you are doing them a disservice by giving them false info.

If you are screwing an unknown shaft onto a pin and it stops after one or two turns, chances are, they are not supposed to mate and you have the wrong combination. Pretty simple.

Maybe there are other examples but the Radial pin from the Elite cue is what I used for a test. And it didn't work.

The thing is some custom cue makers try to save a buck by going with radial Pins made by machine shops. The problem is these pins are hit and miss.

And you know this how? Examples please.
The thing is with this route, cue makers will have to invest a large amount of money in order to have a machine shop do this for you.
The large cash outlay will get you more pins that you could possibly use in a life time. So, they will have to off set their cost by selling to other cue makers. If these pins are anything less than the real deal, they will be stuck as no one will want them.
So, I doubt anyone would be willing to take a chance with that large amount of money unless the machine shop can guarantee the exact pin for them.

In the long run, you'd be far better off to just purchase them from one of the many suppliers cause you won't be saving yourself that much in proportion to the amount of grief that it could possibly cost you.

And that is just my nickels worth. Cause we don't have pennies in Canada any longer so I have to hand out nickels now.

Last edited: