Raising up the cue after hitting the cue ball.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed many players when they want to impart huge cue power tend to raise up the cue. A lot of players of different billiard disciplines do it, Efren Reyes, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie Alcano,etc.
Here some videos to explain it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ajb6zMM_A at 0:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxlyS-gZd8 0:15

I found only snooker videos but you can easily find that motion in pool.
Now, it effectively helps to give more cue power or is it only a motion done instinctively?
Sorry for my bad english.
 
I noticed many players when they want to impart huge cue power tend to raise up the cue. A lot of players of different billiard disciplines do it, Efren Reyes, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie Alcano,etc.
Here some videos to explain it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ajb6zMM_A at 0:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxlyS-gZd8 0:15

I found only snooker videos but you can easily find that motion in pool.
Now, it effectively helps to give more cue power or is it only a motion done instinctively?
Sorry for my bad english.

I have the Phil Capelle/Accustats video of Archer vs. Reyes. In one rack, they refer to Reyes hitting one that "looked like a Mike Massey draw shot". He clearly has the tip of the cue pointing upward just like O'Sullivan in the first clip you linked.

Is this necessary? Definitely not, because people like Mike Masse (who certainly has one of the most powerful draw strokes out there) does not do it. I think what is going on is an exaggerated elbow drop. Normally the purpose of the elbow drop is to make the cue tip move parallel to the cloth. Sometimes if you overdo it, you can actually follow through a lot and get the tip pointing upward. Keep in mind though that the cue ball is long gone by this point, and that motion doesn't *directly* do anything to the ball. On the flip side, however, that stroking motion is obviously very effective for those people that can use it like Efren and O'Sullivan, etc., and that stroking motion *leads* to that upward motion...so you must draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I don't think it matters much. For maximum power draw, your best bet is to make sure you hit the cue ball very low, firm, and really make sure you go *right through* without hesitation, almost like you are trying to pierce a light object with a sharp needle. Imagine trying to pierce something like a Styrofoam ball (which is just laying on a flat surface and not supported from behind). You have to kind of snap the needle into it quickly or else you will just move it away with the needle. That make any sense?

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT
 
i got your point, but i don't think that motion gives that much followtrough
 
I think the main causes for the tip coming up are: dropping the elbow, and tightening the grip, both of which are not generally recommended; although, some people can do it quite effectively, as the video clips demonstrate. FYI, more info and technique advice concerning power shots can be found here:

Regards,
Dave

I noticed many players when they want to impart huge cue power tend to raise up the cue. A lot of players of different billiard disciplines do it, Efren Reyes, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie Alcano,etc.
Here some videos to explain it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ajb6zMM_A at 0:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxlyS-gZd8 0:15

I found only snooker videos but you can easily find that motion in pool.
Now, it effectively helps to give more cue power or is it only a motion done instinctively?
Sorry for my bad english.
 
Back
Top