Raschig new old stock review

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"2013 Launched Phenolic Diamond Billiard Ball"

Their involvement in the manufacture of phenolic resin balls is just 10 years old.
Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 2.17.54 PM.png

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I saw that too. They weren't really in the business, though, until they sold their first set. If they started from scratch on phenolic resin balls, just the machinery and the millwright installation would have taken time, not to mention the training of the staff.

I appreciate you looking up the history of the company. It was very helpful and informative.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I saw that too. They weren't really in the business, though, until they sold their first set. If they started from scratch on phenolic resin balls, just the machinery and the millwright installation would have taken time, not to mention the training of the staff.

I appreciate you looking up the history of the company. It was very helpful and informative.
Difference of opinion, I suppose. IMO, they are in the business when R&D has started and they've devoted resources to the project. It was a 4 year road to get to a point where they were comfortable offering the product for sale to the public. That speaks volumes to the process of make phenolic balls.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That speaks volumes to the process of make phenolic balls.
BEAUTIFUL pool balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct about the process. Dr. Koebner worked on it for years before he sent the first ball to ABB Co. and Brunswick. Making pool ball forgeries is a fools errand.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I have a couple of counterfeit Raschig bumblebee balls.

If a picture was posted side by side with a genuine Raschig it might be difficult to tell them apart. In one’s hand, however, the difference is quite noticeable. The yellow stripe of the forgery is 31mm, compared to 29mm of an original; the famous Raschig lustre isn’t present; and the imposters are too heavy.

Bumblebee is not my own invented nickname, by the way… Germans were calling their Raschig 9 the “hummel” in the 1970s.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I was exceedingly fortunate to find twenty sets of Raschigs that had been languishing in a Jukebox warehouse in Mainz some years ago. The company had been supplying the balls to pool halls around the city.

Attachments

• BBFCCBFF-BDFE-4CF8-ACA0-2382E9707ED3.jpeg
    BBFCCBFF-BDFE-4CF8-ACA0-2382E9707ED3.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 910DAAB3-4ED2-4165-B535-22747168A1F5.jpeg
    910DAAB3-4ED2-4165-B535-22747168A1F5.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 53

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hi, Mr B.

Not really, dear fellow. at least not without embarrassing somebody and opening up a can of worms.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was exceedingly fortunate to find twenty sets of Raschigs that had been languishing in a Jukebox warehouse in Mainz some years ago. The company had been supplying the balls to pool halls around the city.
Unbelievable-that’s crazy cool to see!
i‘m walking out the last few years just tryna own one 9 ball set
ths for sharing

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Here’s a couple exceedingly rare Raschigs, gentlemen.

Attachments

• AF71D40D-24FF-4440-8B4B-AF750E77ED4A.jpeg
    AF71D40D-24FF-4440-8B4B-AF750E77ED4A.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 1DF7C73C-66B9-45DF-A026-BB2C63CD4C29.jpeg
    1DF7C73C-66B9-45DF-A026-BB2C63CD4C29.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 47

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Mr B.

Not really, dear fellow. at least not without embarrassing somebody and opening up a can of worms.
Rupe, without alienating our friends, do you know the year that practice began? Are the balls phenolic resin or polyresin. How can I do research on the perpetrators?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I bought my set (in the first post of this thread) from mr Rubik’s Cube, or his partner. It was I’m guessing 3-5 years ago. It all blends together now. It was sold as new old stock, never played. I believe it. There is not a scratch or mark of any kind anywhere on any of the balls. All their luster is intact as well.

SennaDrive65

Hello,
As a new member to the site (this is my first post) this thread caught my interest. Quick back story. I had always wanted a pool table for the last 30 years. Must of that time I was unable to acquire one due space limitations in the house, etc. but this did not stop me for buying equipment along the way. Approximately 25 years ago I purchased a Raschig NOS set and 10 years ago bought a near mint of Brunswick Centennials (box says from 1999). I’m happy to say that I have finally acquired my pool table in March of 2022. Since then I have used the Centennials on a daily basis and only have used the Raschig a hand full of times.
Getting to the point, I want to confirm the general findings outlined in this post.
  1. The average weight of the Raschig is 162.02g (my Centennials are 168.0g)
  1. The diameter of the Raschig is 2.23 (my Centennials are 2.24)
  1. And now for the most interesting item... something I had never noticed... the markings on all the balls do have the black numbers slightly sunken! This is not the case with my Centennials. The sunken is “extremely” minor and does not appear to affect play.
Side note.. I love the shade of blue on the Raschig 2 and 10 balls.
Thanks all for a great thread and general forum. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 44

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
How many sets of the Raschigs have a black circle cue ball?
ZERO if the cueball is REAL!

SennaDrive65

My set does not have a black circle and I have no reason to think it is not original. The weight of my cue ball is in line with all the other balls.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many sets of the Raschigs have a black circle cue ball?
ZERO if the cueball is REAL!
In order to actively identify these mysterious forgeries, we must first have a documented set of forged balls with their original packing. Do you have such a set?