Re: i need to work on my mechanics

durhamcueist

Brandon W
Silver Member
Re: i need to work on my mechanics

I hope someone can help me with my technique. I have been playing for about 3 yrs, I am a strong six sometimes 7 in APA and I continue to get better. I have noticed that my stroke on the ball is very weak. Even when I make sure I follow thru I am still poking the ball. Is there a drill or a way to correct this.
 
These are hard things to generically advise anyone of without seeing how they stroke, but in general, the first thing that comes to my mind is to be aware of the position of your stroking hand at the point of contact with the cue ball. There should be a good pendulum motion with a fore and aft movement. The contact should be appoximate to your hand being at 6 o'clock. If for example if you are a right handed player and you contact the cue ball when you stroke hand is at 8' oclock, there is nothing left for follow through. Of course this is just one part of a good stance and everything else comes into play also.
 
I have the same problem, and found a simple drill that's been a help. Line up a straight shot into one of the corner pockets at the foot of the table. CB and OB about a foot apart, with the spot centered on the shot line, halfway between the CB and OB. Shoot the shot with centerball only, and follow through so the tip finishes on or beyond the spot, dead center. Helps me stay down, follow through, and gives a good indicator that I'm stroking straight. You can adjust the distance between the CB and spot for harder or softer shots. I try to shoot 15 balls every hour that I practice. If anyone knows of a downside to this drill, please post. So far it's definitely helped me finish my shots. Hope it helps you.
Bill
 
I've been on a comeback for the last few months after a 25 year absence from the game, and the other day I took a lesson from a teaching pro. He set about changing a few minor things, and said that I had what he calls a pro stroke (meaning that your arm above the elbow moves on the follow through of the final stroke...this is controversial among instructors, especially BCA certified instructors), but that I had sort of lackluster motion after contact with the cue ball. He noticed that while I follow through plenty far enough, and that it's straight, I lack acceleration when going through the ball. Instead of accelerating through the ball I'm slowing down going through the ball. This can kill the action on the cue ball.

I'm currently working on a shot routine that includes checking that my grip hand is at a 90 degree angle (straight down) when addressing the cue ball, drawing the cue back slowly on the final stroke, confirming my aim point during a slight pause, and accelerating through the cue ball at least 6 inches or more. This routine has me not only pocketing more balls than before but also getting tremendous action on the cue ball when needed, like full table length draw. Like Allison Fisher, when I'm struggling I always check my fundamentals, or have someone who is very knowledgeable do it. It always helps ! Good luck...Tom
 
durhamcueist said:
I hope someone can help me with my technique. I have been playing for about 3 yrs, I am a strong six sometimes 7 in APA and I continue to get better. I have noticed that my stroke on the ball is very weak. Even when I make sure I follow thru I am still poking the ball. Is there a drill or a way to correct this.
You need to come see me, or Steve Lee. You can attend our Raleigh Billiard Academy. The first class is nothing but stroke technique.

PM me if you're interested.

-djb
 
durhamcueist said:
I hope someone can help me with my technique. I have been playing for about 3 yrs, I am a strong six sometimes 7 in APA and I continue to get better. I have noticed that my stroke on the ball is very weak. Even when I make sure I follow thru I am still poking the ball. Is there a drill or a way to correct this.

Give me a call, or send me a pm. We can schedule a couple of days either down here in Charlotte, or I can come up to see you. I guarantee we can find any problem areas and work on them.
Steve Jennings
 
tpdtom said:
I've been on a comeback for the last few months after a 25 year absence from the game, and the other day I took a lesson from a teaching pro. He set about changing a few minor things, and said that I had what he calls a pro stroke (meaning that your arm above the elbow moves on the follow through of the final stroke...this is controversial among instructors, especially BCA certified instructors), but that I had sort of lackluster motion after contact with the cue ball. He noticed that while I follow through plenty far enough, and that it's straight, I lack acceleration when going through the ball. Instead of accelerating through the ball I'm slowing down going through the ball. This can kill the action on the cue ball.

I'm currently working on a shot routine that includes checking that my grip hand is at a 90 degree angle (straight down) when addressing the cue ball, drawing the cue back slowly on the final stroke, confirming my aim point during a slight pause, and accelerating through the cue ball at least 6 inches or more. This routine has me not only pocketing more balls than before but also getting tremendous action on the cue ball when needed, like full table length draw. Like Allison Fisher, when I'm struggling I always check my fundamentals, or have someone who is very knowledgeable do it. It always helps ! Good luck...Tom

You are so right about the 90 degrees. A lot of good players have a good 90 degree angle but the tip of the cue isn't really as close to the cueball as they think. To compensate they slightly drop the elbow at contact. When consciously correcting this flaw it feels awkward and unnatural.

Hmmm... I fit this bill, I guess I'll have to go visit Tom Simpson this summer. What do you Instructor types think of Tom by the way???
 
I recently asked spindoktor if he had advice for someone who wants to get better in straight pool and he pretty much said nailing the fundamentals is key. He recommended Bert Kinister's advanced fundamentals DVD. I haven't had the chance to try it but it sounds solid.
 
renard said:
I understood what he typed!!! Scott Lee or Steve Jennings!!!
Actually, no you didn't. I typed and meant Steve Lee. Steve Lee is a BCA Certified Instructor, and I'm a BCA Recognized instructor. We run the Raleigh Billiard Academy together.

-djb
 
DoomCue said:
Actually, no you didn't. I typed and meant Steve Lee. Steve Lee is a BCA Certified Instructor, and I'm a BCA Recognized instructor. We run the Raleigh Billiard Academy together.

-djb

:eek: :rolleyes: :D my bad!
 
Taking for granted you're stroking thru the cb and not at it, I'd advise you to make an adjustment to your grip. Hold the cue with your first three fingers, making sure your index finger dominates. Don't squeeze the sap out of the cue, but hold it firmly with the first finger. For me, this is a key to better hitting.
 
Back
Top