Ready for a career change?

Would you........

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of us make time for pool outside of our work schedules. I am curious as to how many of us would quit their current job, and replace it with a job within the pool industry.

Pool industry jobs might include:
Pool Halls; Leagues; Events; Instruction; etc...

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
If I could make the same amount of money I am making now, yes I would. I mean, would'nt everyone want to make a living at something they're passionate about? The biggest roadblock is that its hard to make money at pool in all its industries.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love a job in a poolroom or anywhere else pool related, I have been out of work for over a year and am tired of being broke.

Leonard

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JohnPT said:
If I could make the same amount of money I am making now, yes I would. I mean, would'nt everyone want to make a living at something they're passionate about? The biggest roadblock is that its hard to make money at pool in all its industries.

I hear you. I am a semiconductor engineer, and the economy is getting bad. In the semicon sector, when the business is slow, my work gets harder. I really want to quit my job, and I would love to have a job that is pool related....a job that I would enjoy.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I'd definately quit my job if I could make close to the same money.

Oops, I forgot. I quit my job anyway just last month :p

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolcuemaster said:
I would love a job in a poolroom or anywhere else pool related, I have been out of work for over a year and am tired of being broke.

Leonard

Out of a job for over a year?....that's gotta be rough.:(
I have a friend in Michigan, and it took forever for her to find a job......and it's not even full time. They could only bring her on part time, but it's better than nothin'.

I hope things turn around for you.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bud green said:
I'd definately quit my job if I could make close to the same money.

Oops, I forgot. I quit my job anyway just last month :p

Now, you have an opportunity to find a job in the pool industry.

I am still employed, and I am thinking about getting into some pool related business. But if I were unemployed, I'd be actively seeking something in pool.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted Quit current primary full time job for primary full time in pool.

But I'll be honest that isn't what I am going to do. but that actually what I WISH to do. but sadly I cannot do it. It's hard for me to quit my current job which is a full-time job. and I just play pool in weekends and sometimes during the week if i am lucky. (I love pool so much and I consider myself a C+ Player) and I am pretty confident that if i had a less working hours and I am able to play pool every day for at least 3hours a day, I'll be somewhere around B+ Player at least.

-asbani.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
asbani said:
I voted Quit current primary full time job for primary full time in pool.

But I'll be honest that isn't what I am going to do. but that actually what I WISH to do. but sadly I cannot do it. It's hard for me to quit my current job which is a full-time job. and I just play pool in weekends and sometimes during the week if i am lucky. (I love pool so much and I consider myself a C+ Player) and I am pretty confident that if i had a less working hours and I am able to play pool every day for at least 3hours a day, I'll be somewhere around B+ Player at least.

-asbani.
I think if I were going to get a pool related job, it would be to buy and existing, successful APA (or other) league franchise.

It would have to be one of the bigger ones which would cost more, but obviously, revenue would be larger, as well.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
If I turn my hobby into work, what would I do for a hobby? I think I'd rather leave pool for pure enjoyment and not have to stress over the money I need to make at it to pay the bills.

I have sold cues in the past as a way to fund my pool habit, I would probably do that again. Just don't have the time.

Jim

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
If I'm ever a millionaire, I will build a very high class pool room and charge about $3/hour to play. I will hold monthly tournaments and contribute mad cash. Saturdays would be free. All day.

That would be awesome.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have had the best job in the world since June 97,
lmaorof.gif
RETIRED
lollol.gif

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
If I'm ever a millionaire, I will build a very high class pool room and charge about $3/hour to play. I will hold monthly tournaments and contribute mad cash. Saturdays would be free. All day.

That would be awesome.

Hal, I wish I had a dollar for everytime I heard that one!

Cocobolo I want to be retired too!
Waaaaa, anybody want to buy a poolroom?

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
I wouldn't mind part-time with my full-time job, running tournaments or setting them up.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After meeting Hal this year at DCC I can honestly say he would have the coolest room with best prices ever and like myself he would be out playing pool with the customers all day and night. I think that is the trick to running a pool room, spending lots of time with your customers so you see what they like and don't like and who needs to be barred. One of the best rooms in Charlotte NC was built up by this process and when he sold it the new owner hired a couple young girls to run the place while the owner showed up twice a week and it is a shithole now in less than a year.

Leonard

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I can't answer to any of the questions in the poll. I am a workaholic and belong to Workaholic Anonymous. I have really been doing great as I haven't work in over 10 years but it is still a day by day thing and there is no seniority.:D

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Hal said:

That would be awesome.

The best way to make a small fortune in a pool hall is to start with a large fortune.

Love it.:D Here is a rep for you.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheBook said:
The best way to make a small fortune in a pool hall is to start with a large fortune.

Love it.:D Here is a rep for you.

That's a good one.....but sadly, I think that is going to become a real trend.