Received my Pro 1/CTE DVD today

JC

Coos Cues
Watched it intently and here's what I got out of it.

A headache and a lot of information showing just how objective this "exact" aiming system is. For being an exact science there's an awful lot of things you have to learn to see and do. And they change depending on the shot angle. A and B for this one but not for this other one cutting the same direction. This thing may be the shizzle but I haven't the stamina to watch the DVD again much less try to perform it. My feeling is a person really should have personal lessons from an expert in this system to ever "get" it. Stan is trying hard to explain it in this DVD but all I am now is confused. The audio may as well as be in Greek.

Ready to pass it on down the line.

$30 anyone?

champ2107

Banned

A headache and a lot of information showing just how objective this "exact" aiming system is. For being an exact science there's an awful lot of things you have to learn to see and do. And they change depending on the shot angle. A and B for this one but not for this other one cutting the same direction. This thing may be the shizzle but I haven't the stamina to watch the DVD again much less try to perform it. My feeling is a person really should have personal lessons from an expert in this system to ever "get" it. Stan is trying hard to explain it in this DVD but all I am now is confused. The audio may as well as be in Greek.

$30 anyone?

deleted......................................... not worth it.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

$30 anyone?

Hard to understand why you wouldn't at least
experiment with the info.

JC

Coos Cues
Hard to understand why you wouldn't at least
experiment with the info.

I did and am. My headache is getting worse.

I didn't say the system is invalid. I just said it's really hard to understand it from the DVD format and a person may be best served taking personal lessons in order to "get it".

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member

$30 anyone?

That was kind of my first impression too, although I had a lesson with Ron V before hand so I had some inkling what was going on. No way are you going to "get it" by just watching it. Forget trying to understand everything right away, it's very different. Just go to the table and execute each shot exactly like they do on the DVD. It will come, and possibly very quickly.

If you really expected to just sit on the couch and understand everything, then I agree, just sell it.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
That was kind of my first impression too, although I had a lesson with Ron V before hand so I had some inkling what was going on. No way are you going to "get it" by just watching it. Forget trying to understand everything right away, it's very different. Just go to the table and execute each shot exactly like they do on the DVD. It will come, and possibly very quickly.

If you really expected to just sit on the couch and understand everything, then I agree, just sell it.

I expected to understand the concept better from the couch I guess. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to move my TV into my pool room and just do as you say when I recover from my first watch through. As for help from Champ, I've seen your aimiing help friend. Can I just send you the thirty bucks instead and call it good?:lol:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I expected to understand the concept better from the couch I guess. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to move my TV into my pool room and just do as you say when I recover from my first watch through. As for help from Champ, I've seen your aimiing help friend. Can I just send you the thirty bucks instead and call it good?:lol:

I would recommend going through just the manual CTE part until you can execute this effectively, before tackling Pro1. This can take weeks, don't rush it! Also feel free to email Stan. He'll answer all your questions, usually within the day.

champ2107

Banned

huh ???????? i will help you anyway, i smell your failure coming through my comp already lol make sure you find center cue ball lol if you want to see a manual cte pivot from the side click my link below.

Last edited:

Brandon B.

Registered
Hmm...I actually understood the DVD quite well, and used the CTE/Pro1 system tonight for the first time ever...even showed my friend the concept of it, and drill the shot. Have to act like a sponge, absorb the knowledge in and try it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Just go to the table and execute each shot exactly like they do on the DVD. It will come, and possibly very quickly.

metmot -- I second what mohrt says here. And to help in doing that, here is a tabulation of all the shots from the DVD: http://www.ohrt.com/billiards/ProOnePractice.pdf. This shows the ball placements and the visuals and pivot to use for each shot. This table was prepared a year ago by mohrt (with a little help from me). [Chime in, mohrt, if this isn't the latest version.]

champ2107

Banned
I would recommend going through just the manual CTE part until you can execute this effectively, before tackling Pro1. This can take weeks, don't rush it! Also feel free to email Stan. He'll answer all your questions, usually within the day.

your welcome :thumbup:

O O <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< can you figure this out?

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I've posted several times, I had the same feeling when first watching it - not a headache, but not a full understanding of how it could work. I watched it at home, where I have no table, that didn't help. Watched it again a few days later, same thing. I too had some expectation that I could just watch it and learn everything.

However, I wanted to give it a chance, especially since I always had questions around aiming, so I actually emailed JB, Spidey, JoeyA, and eventually Stan himself to clear up my questions. All of them were accomodating, I continue to talk to Stan about many topics and he's been very helpful. With the extra info, and a third viewing and some table time, it all became clear. Maybe if I was watching with a table nearby I would have gotten it quicker.

If you don't want to deal with it, I can respect your choice. However, if you want to give it a chance, feel free to PM me. I'm not fanatical about it, I just try to help people understand it better, I've helped quite a few people already "get it" since I could offer the benefit of my experimentation and summarization of the DVD. Same as what the others did for me once. There really aren't that many steps once you get into it, people I shoot with have no idea that I'm using it and pivoting on every shot...

Scott

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Metmot,

I'll take it. PM sent to you.

Thanks.
jfe

Dammit, you got there before me. I was going to donate it to the local pool room since I won't leave them mine.

The biggest problem with this DVD is that you almost cannot "get it" by watching it at home without a table there.

I had to take my laptop to the pool room and set it up on the table and watch a section then try it. When I was there a very good coach with several champions under his wing watched it and went through the motions.

He doesn't speak english and so he simply copied the motions being demonstrated. He did this for about ten minutes and turned around and gave me a thumbs up and said, "it's good", which was one of the few english phrases he knows.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Beat JB!!!

Hi, JB.

Gotcha on that one!

Regarding picking it up strictly off the disk, I already have a few months experience with pivot systems. I started using Hal Houle's Half Ball Pivot about three months ago. About a month prior to that, I was experimenting with a pivot system I learned either from Jimmy Reid or AZB (I think it was Jimmy Reid)

Although I played since 1962 by instinct or feel, I really like these pivot systems. I had already decided that I would go further and get Stan's program, but I wanted to have a good command of the two systems previously mentioned.

I look forward to learning Pro 1/CTE. I have a 1978 GC that plays right, so I'll have a good opportunity to jump on Pro 1.

And, thanks to you for your good posts on aiming systems.:thumbup:

Cordially,

Joe

Last edited:

Brandon B.

Registered
Here's a huge clue to understanding the video- When you watch it, DO NOT try and compare it to, or fit it in with what knowledge you now have on aiming. Go blank, like a newborn to pool, and then follow the steps. Don't leave any steps out.

This is what I did. And JB, for some odd reason, I literally watched the whole DVD without a table nearby. Though I had been working on CTE stuff beforehand without the DVD but then watching it clarified some questions. Then I was for some reason able to apply it to the pool table without having the dvd nearby the next day. I don't know, maybe I'm strange that way. :p

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Here's a huge clue to understanding the video- When you watch it, DO NOT try and compare it to, or fit it in with what knowledge you now have on aiming. Go blank, like a newborn to pool, and then follow the steps. Don't leave any steps out.

This. And to be more specific, you have be aware that when you are moving into the shot, you are not aiming at anything. That is a very foreign concept, you'll only begin to understand after going through the motions.