Red Shoes Billiards

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I Hope our own Dennis (Dmgwalsh) faired well in the event, he has a true passion for the game and promoting all happenings that go on at Red Shoes.......... Go Dennis !!!!!!!

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Dennis has a "True passion" is for dammed sure. He's on top of every nuance of the game. Anywhere in the world that the word "straight pool" is mentioned and he's got an ear on it. I admire his devotion and energy and desire to make 14.1 the game of choice for the world. He's a good man!

I mailed him for news of the tournament just before I saw this thread. I'm sure he'll post later today. He'll not be able to resist putting 14.1 in the top of the threads for a day.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I like straight pool, all right but it doesn't always like me. Jeff Mohl beat me the first match. He probably had me 60-40 when I missed an easy one and he ran out. He played well. Rich Klein beat me the second match with solid play and I think a couple of 20 somethings.

Bobby Hunter and Mark Jarvis were battling it out on the winner's side around midnight when I left. Players left on the losers side were Jeff Carter playing Rich Klein and Jason Gongol who had defeated Bob Treff, lost to Jeff Carter, defeated Bob Cozzolino, Ed Latimer and Jeff Mohl to get the winner of the Klein Carter match and a chance to play the loser of the Hunter Jarvis match.

I think it was going to be a late one. I don't know about high runs. Maybe 50 something by Hunter. Lots of 20s and 30s but I didn't hear about all of it and there was more to come when I left.

Frank "Sailor" Stellman came down from Racine and it was nice sitting with him and George Fels for a while sweating the Latimer Jarvis match. Freddy the Beard came later and all three of them were shooting the breeze for quit a while.

Nice enough event but there were only about 13 players. Beautiful day in Chicago kept a few away. Money, I think, kept others away.

I heard from John Lavin that they finished early this morning:

Mark Jarvis
Bobby Hunter
Jeff Carter
Jason Gongol

The highest runs I heard were the 50s but John was groggy and I'll find out tomorrow

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Dennis,

Sorry you didnt fair so well, all in all it must of been great to have 3 great names in to watch the 14.1 arena that was setup there at Red Shoes.

That alone is priceless, i would have loved to be there and be abloe to sit a shoot the breeze with 3 living legends....

and of course to meet you !
Steve

What do you think of my latest facebook status ?????

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
An update, but I don't know the final standings.

On the loser's side Jeff Carter walloped me 100-41 with an unfinished run of about 47. Jeff was playing Jason Gongol when I left - about halfway through it was pretty even.

On the winner's side Bobby Hunter beat Mark Jarvis - I don't know the score but I think it was pretty one-sided.

The winner of the Carter-Gongol match would then play Mark Jarvis for winner of the loser's bracket, and the winner of that match would then play Bobby Hunter (the winner of the winner's bracket) to decide the overall winner.

When I played Bobby Hunter earlier in the day he was playing real strong. I think I missed two called shots, and that was enough for Bobby to get to 100. He ran 57 against me in that match.

I left at about 12:45 am and there were still two and a half more matches to play. Given the lateness of the hour, it wouldn't surprise me if it continued to today.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Kudos

Dennis has a "True passion" is for dammed sure. He's on top of every nuance of the game. Anywhere in the world that the word "straight pool" is mentioned and he's got an ear on it. I admire his devotion and energy and desire to make 14.1 the game of choice for the world. He's a good man!

He sure is a good man! Dennis basically runs the two straight pool leagues in Chicago (Red Shoes and Illinois Billiard Club) with no compensation (just headaches). He also does his best to ensure good turnouts for local tournaments like this one. As far as I am concerned he is Mr. Straight Pool in Chicago, even if he hasn't run 100 (yet!).

Kudos also to John Lavin, owner of Red Shoes, for putting on the tournament. It's not a money-making proposition for him. He also loves 14.1, the game he grew up playing. And he grills up a mean burger too.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update. I'm surprised there were only 13 players. I sure wish we could get more players involved in straight pool. 9-ball players can learn alot about their game playing some straight pool. JMHO
Andy

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An update, but I don't know the final standings.

On the loser's side Jeff Carter walloped me 100-41 with an unfinished run of about 47. Jeff was playing Jason Gongol when I left - about halfway through it was pretty even.

On the winner's side Bobby Hunter beat Mark Jarvis - I don't know the score but I think it was pretty one-sided.

The winner of the Carter-Gongol match would then play Mark Jarvis for winner of the loser's bracket, and the winner of that match would then play Bobby Hunter (the winner of the winner's bracket) to decide the overall winner.

When I played Bobby Hunter earlier in the day he was playing real strong. I think I missed two called shots, and that was enough for Bobby to get to 100. He ran 57 against me in that match.

I left at about 12:45 am and there were still two and a half more matches to play. Given the lateness of the hour, it wouldn't surprise me if it continued to today.

Anyone know how it all turned out?

Lou Figueroa
waiting mit bait
on breath

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
1st: Mark Jarvis
2nd: Bobby Hunter
3rd: Jeff Carter
4th: Jason Gongol

I was told that Bobby Hunter ran about 81 in the final (game to 125), but still lost to Jarvis. The tournament ended in the wee hours of Sunday morning, i.e., all in one long day. The top four paid, but I forget how much each received.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Anyone know how it all turned out?

Lou Figueroa
waiting mit bait
on breath

Lou: I edited my post number 4 in this thread with the results yesterday.

Here is an email I sent to billiardscoop.com who published something abt the tourney and wanted final results:

The tournament ended in the wee hours of Sunday Morning. Beautiful Chicago weather kept the field down to 13 players but there was some pretty good straight pool being played at Red Shoes this weekend. The high run of the tournament was an 80 in the finals match by Bobby Hunter. It was not enough, though, as Mark Jarvis battled back and took first place. Mark had to come through Bob Cozzolino, Ed Latimer, Jeff Carter and then Jeff again after Bobby knocked him to the losers side. Jeff Carter finished third and Jason Gongol of the Illinois Billiard Club took fourth place. In addition to Bobby’s run of 80, Jarvis had 3 60 ball runs and there were many runs in the 50s, 40s and 30s.

A local who finished strong was Jeff Mohl, fresh from his appearance at the World Straight Pool Championship in New Jersey where he bested Grady Mathews. He jumped out to a 27-0 lead against Jason Gongol and was ahead 57-24 but ran out of gas. Jason was able to mow down other local straight pool players including Bob Treff from Wisconsin, Bob Cozzolino, who competed in last year’s World Straight Pool Championship after winning a qualifier at Drexeline, and perennial favorite Fast Eddie Latimer, who is always a threat in these events.

Rich Klein, who plays in both Chicago straight pool leagues had a fine outing and was hanging with Jeff Carter 41-53 when Jeff lowered the boom and ran 57 and out on him. Earlier, he was treated to a similar run at the hands of Bobby Hunter.

There were quite a few spectators. Notables include Frank "Sailor" Stellman, cue-maker and straight pool teacher from Racine, Wisconsin who sweated some of the matches with George Fels and Freddy the Beard.

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Sure sounds like a great event! Congrats to the top finishers and all that played.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I had something good to report but alas, none. I think age is depleting what little skill I had. I played with Juan yesterday. He is a much stronger player than me but we both played lousy. He beat me about 100 to 52 I think and never ran more than 10. I dont think that I ran over 5. Sailor was at the next table honeing that skills of Lee Sucharda, which I will have to cope with later. I kept sneaking peeks over there to see if I could pick up a nugget. Maybe thats why I played so badly. Should have focused on my own game.

Dave(they call me the old guy)Nelson

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st: Mark Jarvis
2nd: Bobby Hunter
3rd: Jeff Carter
4th: Jason Gongol

I was told that Bobby Hunter ran about 81 in the final (game to 125), but still lost to Jarvis. The tournament ended in the wee hours of Sunday morning, i.e., all in one long day. The top four paid, but I forget how much each received.

Thanks, Rich.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou: I edited my post number 4 in this thread with the results yesterday.

Here is an email I sent to billiardscoop.com who published something abt the tourney and wanted final results:

The tournament ended in the wee hours of Sunday Morning. Beautiful Chicago weather kept the field down to 13 players but there was some pretty good straight pool being played at Red Shoes this weekend. The high run of the tournament was an 80 in the finals match by Bobby Hunter. It was not enough, though, as Mark Jarvis battled back and took first place. Mark had to come through Bob Cozzolino, Ed Latimer, Jeff Carter and then Jeff again after Bobby knocked him to the losers side. Jeff Carter finished third and Jason Gongol of the Illinois Billiard Club took fourth place. In addition to Bobby’s run of 80, Jarvis had 3 60 ball runs and there were many runs in the 50s, 40s and 30s.

A local who finished strong was Jeff Mohl, fresh from his appearance at the World Straight Pool Championship in New Jersey where he bested Grady Mathews. He jumped out to a 27-0 lead against Jason Gongol and was ahead 57-24 but ran out of gas. Jason was able to mow down other local straight pool players including Bob Treff from Wisconsin, Bob Cozzolino, who competed in last year’s World Straight Pool Championship after winning a qualifier at Drexeline, and perennial favorite Fast Eddie Latimer, who is always a threat in these events.

Rich Klein, who plays in both Chicago straight pool leagues had a fine outing and was hanging with Jeff Carter 41-53 when Jeff lowered the boom and ran 57 and out on him. Earlier, he was treated to a similar run at the hands of Bobby Hunter.

There were quite a few spectators. Notables include Frank "Sailor" Stellman, cue-maker and straight pool teacher from Racine, Wisconsin who sweated some of the matches with George Fels and Freddy the Beard.

Thanks, Dennis.

Lou Figueroa