Reference Information: Measured CB & OB Weights

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I had the opportunity to weigh a variety of CB's and OB's during a recent visit to my local PH. I used a digital scale with quoted accuracy of 0.01 ounce.

For sets of OB's, I measured the 1B & 15B from each set to determine if the 1B is lighter than the 15B (due to wear).

Here are the results with photos of the balls in question:

Aramith "green logo" CB: 5.94 oz
GreenLogo.jpg

Aramith "measles" CB: 5.84 oz
MeaslesCB.jpg

Aramith "red triangle" CB (from my late-90's SPA set): 5.89 oz
No Picture Available, Obsolete CB?

Black Lightning Bolt CB: 6.24 oz
BlackLightningBolt1.jpg

Black Circle CB: 5.68 oz
BlackCircleCB.jpg

Red Circle CB: 5.87 oz
RedCircle.jpg

Blue Circle CB: 5.91 oz <---newly added info

Red Dot CB: 6.72 oz
RedDotCB.jpg

Super Pro Aramith OB's (late-90's set): 1B: 5.91 oz, 15B: 5.91 oz
AramithBalls.jpg

Brunswick Centennial OB's: 1B: 5.91 oz, 15B: 5.92 oz <---newly added info

Cheap "no circle" OB's: 1B: 5.61 oz, 15B: 5.61 oz
BilliardMasterBalls39.jpg

Cheap "circled number" OB's: 1B: 5.87 oz, 15B: 5.97 oz
CircleBalls.jpg

Cheap "big number" OB's: 1B: 5.92 oz, 15B: 5.95 oz (look similar to SPA's)
NoCircleBalls.jpg

EDIT: Added Brunswick Centennial CB (blue circle) & OB's. I guess this removes all doubt that Sulac produces the Centennial OB's for Brunswick...they match the Aramiths in color & weight.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Too bad I didn't title this something like: "Varney: How Much Do His Balls Weigh?" Might have attracted some lurkers then. :)

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
Too bad I didn't title this something like: "Varney: How Much Do His Balls Weigh?" Might have attracted some lurkers then. :)

The problem is that you are providing precise, accurate information that people can't argue about.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I just weighed another common cue ball. Here it is:

Aramith "red logo" CB: 5.96 oz
aramith20red20logo20cue20ball.jpg

This cue ball is heavier than the measels and red circle cueballs we are used to seeing. Interestingly, it is nearly identical in weight to the green logo (magnetic) cueball.

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this info.

It would be interesting to see how the Brunswick Centennial Balls compare in weight to the Belgian Aramith Balls? Supposedly, Aramith makes the Brunswick Centennial Balls?

Also, I wonder how the blue circle ball compares to the red circle and tv ball?

Recently, I started playing a red circle ball with my Centennial Balls, and I can't tell the difference between the blue circle & red other than the obvious color difference.

Did any of the 1-15 balls show a difference in weight or were they consistent?

Thanks again!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I had the opportunity to weigh a variety of CB's and OB's during a recent visit to my local PH. I used a digital scale with quoted accuracy of 0.01 ounce. ...
Thanks for the information.

It seems that the only set of Aramith object balls is the Super Pro set. Is that correct?

Do you have a way to measure the diameters of the balls?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Bob: I think the set I called "Cheap big number balls" were also aramiths...just not super pros. I do have a micrometer that reaches out enough to measure the balls, I just hadn't thought of doing it.

Joe: I did measure the 1 & 15 from each set of OBs. The weights are listed. My own SPA's were all the same...but the worn out, house balls showed significant differences.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
Bob: I think the set I called "Cheap big number balls" were also aramiths...just not super pros. ...
At one time you could get a set that looked just like that delivered to your home for $30 total. You need to carefully check the labeling on the box. The counterfeit balls even use the old Aramith box design.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Thanks for your work

Just wanted to point out there are two different red dots. One that is heavy and returns in old Dynamo tables like a blue dot that is the one you probably measured. The other one mimics a red circle but not very well.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Thought I would bump this thread since several people liked the CB info I posted in another thread. This gives them CB and OB info.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A problem

I embarked on a similar effort some time back and found that the amount of playing time on a cue ball had a significant effect on its weight. Balls that had been in play for a while (months) weighed less than brand new balls. Since cue balls experience more collisions than any other ball, this effect is heightened for cue balls. I suppose they lose a few molecules with every collision.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
They have a set of (new) Centennials with blue circle CB at my my local PH. Don't know why I never thought to weigh them. I'll do that in the next few days.

enzo

Banned
Red Circle 165.74
Blue Circle 169.5825
1-Ball 168.5463
2-Ball 168.4587
3-Ball 168.9926
4-Ball 168.047
5-Ball 168.6706
6-Ball 168.4041
7-Ball 167.5263
8-Ball 169.1521
9-Ball 168.3068
10-Ball 169.7267
11-Ball 168.908
12-Ball 168.1585
13-Ball 168.7598
14-Ball 168.7783
15-Ball 167.5693

All balls brand-new Brunswick Centennials, except for the Red Circle, which I've had for a few years

All weights in grams

This is what i got with a new set of centennials. Notice the blue circle (which comes with the centennial set), i believe they make it heavier on purpose because it get more play, just a guess?

Notice the 10-ball weight. Ever miss a billiard? Haha, silly question, but that amount of difference i would think could lead to a pretty significant trajectory shift on billards, and more draw off a draw shot, everything. And these are centennials (ie good balls).

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering, why does the measle ball seem to roll further than the red circle ball? It seems heavier too.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Added Brunswick Centennials to the original post, but it wouldn't let me add sample photos so here they are (the CB and all OB's measure right around 5.91-5.92 oz):

centenniala.jpg

bbdj.jpg