Remove dents from OB shaft?

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I know how to remove dents and nicks from a standard one-piece shaft, but unfortunately, my new OB shaft caught the edge of the table the other night. I was just wondering if there's a specific way to remove a dent for a layered shaft? I'm hesitant to go with the ol' steaming towel, boiling water in a pinhole of aluminum foil, etc methods simply because of the layers... If you expand that wood, I'd expect that would interfere with the glue between those layers?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

BuddyWing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do the same with my OB1 as I do with my others ...
Maybe you should ask Royce ...

dent repair

I wouldn't add steam, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

I find if you put the shaft on a really wet paper towel in the area of the dent it raises it nicely, often quit quickly. Let the area fully dry the lightly sand it out and burnish.

stljohnny

Silver Member
I wouldn't add steam, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

I find if you put the shaft on a really wet paper towel in the area of the dent it raises it nicely, often quit quickly. Let the area fully dry the lightly sand it out and burnish.

That's typically what I do. I will microwave the paper towel a bit just to help the process a bit... I'm just a little cautious because I'm not entirely certain of the affect it might have on the layers. Well, it's the heat that I'm worried about moreso than the water, so... maybe the cold water method would be best.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Johnny,

It's pretty safe to just clean the area and level the shaft, add a drop of water until it soaks in, then just use a hair dryer to heat up the area a little. Repeat if necessary. You're just messing with the surface grain - it shouldn't affect the shaft at all. The heat will expand the water droplet, which helps pop the crushed cell walls back out.

Chris

Sax

Registered
I thought that I read on here that royce said not to steam a OB shaft. Please don't hold me to that. I'm trying to find the thread but OB doesn't search well on here, so I'm to find it with more basic words like shaft and steam bla bla bla. I've got the same thing with my ob break shaft and I haven't done anything with it till I know. I'll post the thread if I can find it( if I'm even remebering that correctly).

I've also used a q-tip and some boiling water before to dab on the shaft and that worked really well. But I'm just not ready to pull the trigger to it yet. I'll see if I can hunt it down

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Seeing how its a laminated shaft, heat is glues worst enemy. That said, microwaving the piece of paper towel, using a QTip and hot water or as Tate mentioned, adding heat from a heat gun very carefully won't damage your shaft.

I use a steam gun on regular maple shafts and even then, one needs to be careful. High heat is the best way to kill a laminated shaft.

The water bandage is the best way to handle a dent in a lam shaft.
If the ding is too deep for water to affect it, CA glue is the other option.

If you are going to use glue, build it up a little at a time and let it dry before using more glue. A final sand and wax and you won't know it had a ding.

RBC

Deceased
Sorry guys for not seeing this sooner!

The glues we use in our shaft construction are pretty heat resistant so we recommend to use whatever methods you would use on a conventional one piece shaft.

If the wood starts to burn, you've got it too hot! Lol!

Call me if you have any questions.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

It's pretty safe to just clean the area and level the shaft, add a drop of water until it soaks in, then just use a hair dryer to heat up the area a little. Repeat if necessary. You're just messing with the surface grain - it shouldn't affect the shaft at all. The heat will expand the water droplet, which helps pop the crushed cell walls back out.

Chris

I had a nice ding in my OB and this is what I did and you cannot tell I ever had a ding.

stljohnny

Silver Member
Sorry guys for not seeing this sooner!

The glues we use in our shaft construction are pretty heat resistant so we recommend to use whatever methods you would use on a conventional one piece shaft.

If the wood starts to burn, you've got it too hot! Lol!

Call me if you have any questions.

Sweet! I was hoping you'd catch the title and chime in with either a red or green flag on this. :)

Thanks!!

Tate/Metallicane: That's what I've done before with my 1-piece maple shaft; works wonderfully. I'll be trying it tonight with my OB, now that there wasn't a panic-stricken, slo-mo "NOOOOOOOOOO" from the maker. ;)