Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Tim Scruggs

Votes: 82 73.2%

• Total voters

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok I am dying to see how this turns out. I have thought about this for awhile. Both of these top tier cue makers design and build similar style cues and IMHO at the same quality. So I wanted to put these two gentlemen head to head here on AZ and see what you all think. This is just for fun. But looking forward to the comments on both of these true artists. Let's get ready to RUUUUUUMBLE!
vs.jpg

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RB looses hands down

unbelievable another plea(cry) for the moderator- Deanco do you have a clue why the constitution was written

Last edited:

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow I'm shocked to see this score so far. I thought it would be much closer than this. I am keeping my eye on it. I'd be curious to know more of your story Hollywood because that does not sound like Richard at all.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
i would like to vote but how are we comparing them? play?looks? or total package...i think they both have great qualites just not sure what to vote on...i have never met tim but i have met richard several times and owned several of his cues. he has allways been nice to me and delivered the cues right on time. so if you make it a little clearer to me what we voting on i will vote...thanks mickey

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would like to vote but how are we comparing them? play?looks? or total package...i think they both have great qualites just not sure what to vote on...i have never met tim but i have met richard several times and owned several of his cues. he has allways been nice to me and delivered the cues right on time. so if you make it a little clearer to me what we voting on i will vote...thanks mickey

Total package Mikey:
Customer Service
Construction
Playability
Fit & Finish
Attention to detail
Amount of cue for the money
Completion time

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Your post already describes the choices as having similar style and quality. Total Package??? What else is there to compare besides style and quality?

Why not put out pics of two cues and seek opinions...or name some specific quality by which they might be compared. But if you just want to stir controversy.... sounds more like a trick bag than a valid comparison.

Not that either man spends time posting to our forum, but getting ready to "RUUUUUUMBLE" hardly sounds like a means to encourage great cuemakers to take AZ seriously.

Last edited:

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
Total package Mikey:
Customer Service
Construction
Playability
Fit & Finish
Attention to detail
Amount of cue for the money
Completion time

Yep! This pefectly discribes Scruggs and Cochran cues!!!

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Dam....Timmy with the KO.........the people have spoken....and it is so

Richard is voted off the island.......join us next week to see who goes home next.....dum dum dummmmmmmm

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Asking players RB hasn't made a playable cue 1980- and the market shows that. mark

I recently had Richard make me a couple new shafts for a cue he made in '79 and the turn time was quite good, but on the other points, he was a bit lacking with all due respect to the legendary cue maker.

I do like my '79 however!

Quality of fit, finish and playability of TS are all first rate. I have never owned one, nor have I had business dealings with him to comment on other points.

PS I have not voted, because I think if we were comparing cues made in ~1980 and cues made in 2010, the results of both polls would be quite different...

Both are legends, and I would love to add a TS to my (very modest) collection at some point.

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok like the original post states "this is just for fun". No reason to get overly serious here. Just pick which cue maker you prefer. I do like reading about personal experiences with each cue maker.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I bought a cue from Richard Black that had been in a public display of his work. Richard was kind enough to send me the museum pamphlet, DVD tour of the show, brass nameplate for the cue and even a newspaper clipping about the show.

He has treated me like a VIP since the day I chose to be one of his customers. Richard has always made time to talk to me about cues and cue collecting. Occasional cards, e-mails and even an invite to his ACA Hall of Fame induction. He has shown more grace after a sale than anyone I know in business.

He is an atrisan who cares about his customer as well as his craft.

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a cue from Richard Black that had been in a public display of his work. Richard was kind enough to send me the museum pamphlet, DVD tour of the show, brass nameplate for the cue and even a newspaper clipping about the show.

He has treated me like a VIP since the day I chose to be one of his customers. Richard has always made time to talk to me about cues and cue collecting. Occasional cards, e-mails and even an invite to his ACA Hall of Fame induction. He has shown more grace after a sale than anyone I know in business.

He is an atrisan who cares about his customer as well as his craft.

That's what I'm talking about! I would love to see which cue you got. Thanks for the post and awesome story.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recomendto the moderator that this thread and others like it be removed for the reason that it provides a diservice to the good honest talented cuemakers who are recieving what is in effect a slap in the face.
it doesn't seem right to me to see a person recievea knock that could in effect cost him money that he and his family need because a few semi knowledable pool players who probably never saw or owned either mans cue voted this way or that

there are probably not a few poor souls that think these voters actually know something and don't order cuesbased on the whims of the voters

as most of you know i love Tim and Mike and bought many of their cues,but my personal preference should not affect the reputation of others

i did vote earlier but i now regret it and view this type of thing as something altogether different

my opinion

dean

my friend dennis glenn the famous balabushka collector had Richard make him a very fancy cue and he loves it,i barely know Richard but I am sure he deserves the trust that many of you are putting in him.

Last edited:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
That's what I'm talking about! I would love to see which cue you got. Thanks for the post and awesome story.

Richard Black SNAP box cue
MVC-002F.jpg

Tim Scruggs PH and Ivory box cue
Scruggs6.jpg

The Scruggs that got away. I am still sick over this one.
TSBOXBUTT.jpg

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house&#129304;&#127995;
Silver Member
GIAN MY FAVORITE BLACK CUE OF ALL TIMES.....i love looking at it on his website....when you told me in valley forge that you owned that cue i got butterflies....congrats on a great box cue...mickey

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
i recomendto the moderator that this thread and others like it be removed for the reason that it provides a diservice to the good honest talented cuemakers who are recieving what is in effect a slap in the face.
it doesn't seem right to me to see a person recievea knock that could in effect cost him money that he and his family need because a few semi knowledable pool players who probably never saw or owned either mans cue voted this way or that

there are probably not a few poor souls that think these voters actually know something and don't order cuesbased on the whims of the voters

as most of you know i love Tim and Mike and bought many of their cues,but my personal preference should not affect the reputation of others

i did vote earlier but i now regret it and view this type of thing as something altogether different

my opinion

dean

my friend dennis glenn the famous balabushka collector had Richard make him a very fancy cue and he loves it,i barely know Richard but I am sure he deserves the trust that many of you are putting in him.

Wow. Talk about over reacting. It's somewhat a shame that some people can take things overly serious. There is no way that there is, nor intended, a "slap in the face" to either cue maker here. Both are professional top tier cue makers and I am sure neither one would be offended by this post. Let's see, if I post a poll Coke Vs. Pepsi would either of them get offended? I think not. It's a shame that those simple five words are not read, or if they are, they are not comprehended "THIS IS JUST FOR FUN". I am discovering that it is not wise to post here anymore. I always thought AZ was a place for pool players to come together and discuss any and all things billiard related and have fun doing it. It seems that as of late I see more and more negative commenting on peoples threads. Especially in the for sale section. I have seen many new members come in and get kicked to the curb by long time posters and never return. I understand that many comments are not always positive and everyone is entitled to post an opinion. However I feel there are many that could be discussed outside of the thread via PM or other means. I have made many great friends here and you know who you are. However when I sign on now it's always a soap opera in here. So a note to the mods. Please go ahead and delete this thread please. It apparently offends some people unfortunately, and to those people I apologize. To those that understood the fun of the poll I say thanks. I think I'll head back and watch from the shadows now.........:embarrassed2:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no harm or criticism meant for your thread or you personally,ifI was being compared to a competitor unfavorably,I know it could hurt my business and would not be happy
As you say both of these guys are top tier cue makers,

I still think that the thread is possibly harmful to a persons reputation and therefore recomend stopping.

This will not cuuse me any trouble one way or another so I am not upset personally

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I doubt the outcome of this thread will affect anything. So why be sour about it. This is a thread only! Oh yea and look at my sig quote.....I think it applies here.lol