RIP Piper

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I would agree with you Fran. The problem was that Hollywood, as well as society in general during those times did not do a god job at all in handling issues such as depression. It was much easier to avoid dealing with true mental health issues by passing it off to the bottle rather than delving into something more complex involving the mind itself.
Sara was a severely depressed person, but Hollywood was not going to tackle that issue properly in the time frame when this movie was released.
Given that I summarized in my analysis of Piper's part that her drinking likely CAME as a response to her depression (in so many words), I think the writers of the script (for as someone else said, Sarah was not ever a character that Tevis wrote. She wasn't "in" The Hustler book..) did a fine job. Anyone who is perceptive could see the "reasons" behind Sarah's alcoholism.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given that I summarized in my analysis of Piper's part that her drinking likely CAME as a response to her depression (in so many words), I think the writers of the script (for as someone else said, Sarah was not ever a character that Tevis wrote. She wasn't "in" The Hustler book..) did a fine job. Anyone who is perceptive could see the "reasons" behind Sarah's alcoholism.
To clarify, Vincent’s girlfriend is not in the color book. As far as that goes I don’t think Vincent was either

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We know that Tevis was obsessed with alcoholics being that he was one, but I didn't like how he wrote her as a drunk in the film. He did it with the female lead in The Queen's Gambit, too. Piper Laurie was a great actress and she played the role well, but it didn't paint women in a good light at all. May she rest in peace.
Thank you for your comments, I would just add that in every single movie, the characters could have been written differently, either more wholesome, or less so.

Second, he had to create a character that would be attracted to Eddie, and his lifestyle.......and vice versa....

(ie flawed people are attracted to, and hang out with, other similarly flawed people)

L.S. Dennis

To clarify, Vincent’s girlfriend is not in the color book. As far as that goes I don’t think Vincent was either
That is correct, neither Vincent nor Sarah were in the Color of Money book. In fact the book had nothing to do with the film other than a character with the name Fast Eddie appeared within.

Reactions: bbb

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Writers need to go where they're going to go.

And sometimes that's alcoholism. Without it there is no "Flight" with Denzel; no "Star is Born" with Bradley; no "Days of Wine and Roses" with Lemon and Remick; no "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage; and so on, and on, and on.

That Eddie's girlfriend was an alcoholic was central to *the story* and all about the character and the story and not women, per se.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Thank you for your comments, I would just add that in every single movie, the characters could have been written differently, either more wholesome, or less so.

Second, he had to create a character that would be attracted to Eddie, and his lifestyle.......and vice versa....

(ie flawed people are attracted to, and hang out with, other similarly flawed people)
Absolutely, 100% true. Seen it numerous times in real life. Overweight people marrying overweight people... Skinny dude with confidence issues marrying overweight woman and vise versa... Single mother out of a relationship for a while, marrying an alcoholic guy, because she "doesn't think she can do better", and needs to support her child, etc.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, great insight there. I was happy to see that Tevis did evolve as years progressed. At least Vincent's girlfriend wasn't an alcoholic in the sequel.
From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Tevis didn't write the screenplay for the hustler or have anything to do with Vincent or his girlfriend. Am I wrong about something? You seem pretty passionate about this but I'm not sure you have all of your facts straight on this one.

L.S. Dennis

From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Tevis didn't write the screenplay for the hustler or have anything to do with Vincent or his girlfriend. Am I wrong about something? You seem pretty passionate about this but I'm not sure you have all of your facts straight on this one.
No I believe that you are correct, certainly they didn't appear in the book. The movie wasn't that great of a movie either but watchable.

Guy Manges

Registered
The Hustler is one of the movies used in film school's to teach good movie making to students. It may be one of the most widely studied films of all time!
I didn't care for the film at all , I walked away from it, It tried to show our country where pocket pool and gambling was taking us ... Down the tubes... Guy ... As for the acting, It was their job... RIP

• Wow
Reactions: bbb

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't care for the film at all , I walked away from it, It tried to show our country where pocket pool and gambling was taking us ... Down the tubes... Guy ... As for the acting, It was their job... RIP
Pocket pool hasn't taken us down the tubes. It's the only thing keeping me afloat right now. And I'm pro speed at it.

L.S. Dennis

Whether or not the gambling aspect of pool is good or bad, one thing is undeniably true and that is that people love folklore, stories about past pool characters and yes gambling. That's why Fats, The Hustler, and The Color of Money were so immensely popular. It's time critics of this sort need to embrace this and not try to shove it under the rug as if it never existed. This is not to say that what Matchroom is doing to try to introduce pool to the masses, is not a good thing as well. Let the two co-exist!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pocket pool hasn't taken us down the tubes. It's the only thing keeping me afloat right now. And I'm pro speed at it.
Without gambling pool would be one more of those games you see in old homes on display and in museums. Gambling and I hate to admit it but leagues, have carried pool in recent history. The pro side is showing a little life, who knows?

Damn, I just ran the numbers in my head. Judging by the people I beat I think it fair to say I played pro level pool, fifty years ago! I think I'll go get a fifth of Geritol and binge drink.

Hu

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without gambling pool would be one more of those games you see in old homes on display and in museums. Gambling and I hate to admit it but leagues, have carried pool in recent history. The pro side is showing a little life, who knows?

Damn, I just ran the numbers in my head. Judging by the people I beat I think it fair to say I played pro level pool, fifty years ago! I think I'll go get a fifth of Geritol and binge drink.

Hu
I was just talking about pocket pool... :D

Guy Manges

Registered
And gambling, Don't forget gambling, Thank goodness we are still here and love these games, No one can take that away from me or you it's in our hearts, it's what we are... I've looked at the Hustler movie at least twice since 1961 and each time I've come to like it more. I think when I first watched the movie I had just lost my shirt and thought how stupid myself and the Hustler was... I was seeing the bad and the movie was life... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered

Hu
You must know Hu , you were there, But in the USA they are saying that pool is rated less than corn hole games or bird mitten... we might get to watch them in the Olympics... Guy