RIP - Pretty Boy Floyd

sly_shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news. Interestingly I seen a cue made for him with his signature on it about a month ago while I was in Las Vegas. I wonder if this bumps up the value of the cue?

docgpmiller

EWA MATAYA LAURANCE POSTED THIS...
95ab4a429624e3402107f2ccad2cb111.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i remember when i hardly knew him and we ran out of gas in my car and he reluctantly helped push it to the gas station down the street.
outside of the camera and his persona, he was a great guy.

unfortunately all my old friends and acquaintances that smoked are gone before old age or near it.

JPB2

What form of cancer and how long has he been in battle with it?
Not that it matters much but they posted on OnePocket.org the type. Same type that got my father in law at a similar age. When I googled it when my FIL had it the main risk factors were male smokers in their ‘70’s IIRC. Industrial chemicals are a risk I think. Dunno if Jimmy Mataya smoked but I would guess so. Ironically my father in law started smoking at a Detroit auto plant so he wouldn’t be asked to do some task during a break. Many packs of Pall Malls later….

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that it matters much but they posted on OnePocket.org the type. Same type that got my father in law at a similar age. When I googled it when my FIL had it the main risk factors were male smokers in their ‘70’s IIRC. Industrial chemicals are a risk I think. Dunno if Jimmy Mataya smoked but I would guess so. Ironically my father in law started smoking at a Detroit auto plant so he wouldn’t be asked to do some task during a break. Many packs of Pall Malls later….
For those who are not a member of OnePocket.org, it was written that he had stage IV bladder cancer.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched his "Secrets of pool hustling" video so many times when I was in my teens. It was one of my favorite videos and undoubtedly bolstered my interest in pool (not that I've ever aspired to be a hustler). Hearing his commentary in later years definitely had me rolling. The guy was so entertaining, and I'm bummed to hear that he is no longer with us. I think today I will watch every Malaya match I can find.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Radar , I don't have any idea which form of cancer he had all I know is there's over 3,500 different types none of them are any good !
In some cases the cure is worse than the cancer ! I do know this first hand .
You're right. I lost my sister to cancer five months ago. She was on three different chemotherapies that made her horribly sick, weak and confused. When she finally said enough, and stopped them all, her doctors told her that was a reasonable decision. I found our after she passed that for her stage of cancer, the goal was to add months. I'm not sure who thought a few months like that were a good idea.