River City Open tournament

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
This weekend was the 3rd annual River City Open. Though there was a change of venue (20 miles outside of Peoria IL), the tourney set-up remained the same: winner of the lag/flip picks 8 ball (race to 6) or 9 ball (race to 8). As in the past play was on (12) freshly re-clothed Valley barboxes.

The turnout was pretty good with 61 players entering. The calcutta was run by a true auctioneer, and was "blind" all the way through. The picks in the auction were not much of a surprise, with 2 time defending champ Jesse Bowman going first, Shane McMinn, Bobby McGrath Jr., Gary Lutman, and Whitey Walker rounding out the top 5.

Unfortunately I did not get to spend much of my weekend there, but the venue (Nana's in Deer Creek IL) seemed OK, with good food and enough space. The tables were RATHER quick, but seemed to play pretty good as well.

Skipping ahead to the results, after some really stellar play put on by quite a few players....Jesse was not to 3 peat this tourney (double elim, with a buyback) as he was knocked out by Will Freeman. Will kept up his great play by handing McMinn his second loss and forcing him to buy back. At this point the final 3 all were set, and McMinn beat Bobby McGrath Jr. giving him 2 losses as well. Now all 3 were down to their last chance (all having bought back). Shane and Will faced off to see who Bobby would play in the finals. Will beat McMinn once again for a trip to the finals. He then took the finals after a double hill thriller with Bobby.

Congrats to Will Freeman for being the 2011 River City Open champion, and to all the other players who made for yet again, a GREAT tourney!!

other events in the River City "Tour" can be found here - http://www.rivercitybilliardtour.com/

Thanks to Eric and his work, and of course, sponsors, for keeping this tourney going, and bringing top notch play to our area! Already looking forward to the next one. :grin:

Last edited:

zrx replica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanx for the breakdown Robb...Was wondering how it all came down. Lotta Heavy Hitters there for sure!:thumbup:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Thanx for the breakdown Robb...Was wondering how it all came down. Lotta Heavy Hitters there for sure!:thumbup:

Yeah, just a bummer that KJ didn't have an internet connection to work with....but I do think he recorded some of the matches.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Enjoy!

This weekend was the 3rd annual River City Open. Though there was a change of venue (20 miles outside of Peoria IL), the tourney set-up remained the same: winner of the lag/flip picks 8 ball (race to 6) or 9 ball (race to 8). As in the past play was on (12) freshly re-clothed Valley barboxes.

The turnout was pretty good with 61 players entering. The calcutta was run by a true auctioneer, and was "blind" all the way through. The picks in the auction were not much of a surprise, with 2 time defending champ Jesse Bowman going first, Shane McMinn, Bobby McGrath Jr., Gary Lutman, and Whitey Walker rounding out the top 5.

Unfortunately I did not get to spend much of my weekend there, but the venue (Nana's in Deer Creek IL) seemed OK, with good food and enough space. The tables were RATHER quick, but seemed to play pretty good as well.

Skipping ahead to the results, after some really stellar play put on by quite a few players....Jesse was not to 3 peat this tourney (double elim, with a buyback) as he was knocked out by Will Freeman. Will kept up his great play by handing McMinn his second loss and forcing him to buy back. At this point the final 3 all were set, and McMinn beat Bobby McGrath Jr. giving him 2 losses as well. Now all 3 were down to their last chance (all having bought back). Shane and Will faced off to see who Bobby would play in the finals. Will beat McMinn once again for a trip to the finals. He then took the finals after a double hill thriller with Bobby.

Congrats to Will Freeman for being the 2011 River City Open champion, and to all the other players who made for yet again, a GREAT tourney!!

other events in the River City "Tour" can be found here - http://www.rivercitybilliardtour.com/

and

a more detailed event results breakdown will likely be updated here - http://peoriapool.com/index.html

Thanks to Eric and his work, and of course, sponsors, for keeping this tourney going, and bringing top notch play to our area! Already looking forward to the next one. :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qam1fbQmA_s

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Thanks for the recap, Trusty! Is Will from the Clinton area? I remember a Will from up that way, but not sure of his last name. Might have been Will Cox (no kidding) now that I think about it.

Taking out Jess & then McMinn (twice) is a hell of a feat!

What games did Jess & McMinn choose on their choice? I'm assuming Jess would pick 8B.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
If someone could please explain to me what is meant by "blind" when it comes to the type of calcutta being done. I do know what a calcutta is so you dont have to explain that part, just the "blind" part.

I didnt know if it means you are auctioning off numbers 1 through 61 and that is the order you get to pick a player from the field or if it was like a sealed bid type auction.

Thank you

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Thanks for the recap, Trusty! Is Will from the Clinton area? I remember a Will from up that way, but not sure of his last name. Might have been Will Cox (no kidding) now that I think about it.

Taking out Jess & then McMinn (twice) is a hell of a feat!

What games did Jess & McMinn choose on their choice? I'm assuming Jess would pick 8B.

Will is from Centralia IL.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
If someone could please explain to me what is meant by "blind" when it comes to the type of calcutta being done. I do know what a calcutta is so you dont have to explain that part, just the "blind" part.

I didnt know if it means you are auctioning off numbers 1 through 61 and that is the order you get to pick a player from the field or if it was like a sealed bid type auction.

Thank you

In many cases the first 3 picks are "blind", meaning you bid it up as high as you want, and then pick ANY player in the field. After the 3 picks, players names are read, and bidding is for that player only. This auction it just continued bidding up as high as someone was willing to pay, and the winner picked from who was left in the field. Let's say the first 3 were blind, and went for $500, $450, and $400, if the next pick was NOT blind , and I were called from the players list - I MIGHT have bought myself for $10....lol. The "blind" way kept the bidding up - the guy who went 4th got 2nd in the tourney....and the guy who WON, was a bargain in the calcutta!

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
In many cases the first 3 picks are "blind", meaning you bid it up as high as you want, and then pick ANY player in the field. After the 3 picks, players names are read, and bidding is for that player only. This auction it just continued bidding up as high as someone was willing to pay, and the winner picked from who was left in the field. Let's say the first 3 were blind, and went for $500, $450, and $400, if the next pick was NOT blind , and I were called from the players list - I MIGHT have bought myself for $10....lol. The "blind" way kept the bidding up - the guy who went 4th got 2nd in the tourney....and the guy who WON, was a bargain in the calcutta!

TY for explaining that to me.

PeoriaPool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Tourney again Eric!!!

Yeah, it was a GREAT tourney and Eric did a fantastic job as he always does with the RCO events. I thank Eric very much for all of his hard work and dedication. His love for pool makes for a great event with some of the best bar box players in the country as we've seen at these tournaments.

Eric was gracious enough to allow me to use the the good reputation of his tournaments and use the 'River City' name to form the RCBT (River City Billiard Tour) to add another 3 tournaments throughout each year. The first was the RC Classic 10 ball event last October, which everyone knows could have certainly gone smoother (faster). :p

I learned A LOT running my first tourney with the RC Classic 10 Ball and even more from Eric over the past 3 years since he started the RC Open.

I can't wait for the upcoming RC SHOOTOUT
(April 15-17) as I have SO many exciting improvements for both the players, spectators and also online followers. :smile:

Keep track of upcoming RC Billiard Tour events @ http://www.RiverCityTour.com

Things to look forward with upcoming RCBT events...

- More LADIES involvement with either FREE entry for the Ladies or a separate division.

- Computerized brackets and time management for matches to ensure no more scheduling setbacks or 'Monday Finishes' like Jeff Beckley compared to the Ryder Cup. LOL! (Watch the 2010 RCC Final Video to hear his quote @ www.RiverCityTour.com) :rotflmao1:

- More sponsors, $$$ and better payouts for the players.

- Online brackets/scoring for everyone online and watching to keep tabs on the players.

- Multiple camera angles for the Live Stream with HD or MUCH better definition of both video and audio.

- Aramith Pro-Cup 'Measle' Cue Balls for the TV tables to allow the viewers to see what kind of juice (English) the players are putting on the ball.

- More terrific charities that will benefit from raffles and donations at the tourneys to help the sport of pool give back to those in need.

- More time alloted throughout the weekend for Ring Games, ACTION and exhibitions. Later closing times @ the venue for Tourney or Action!!!

- Any further suggestions are welcome! Just send an e-mail to info@rivercitybilliardtour.com