Ronnie O'Sullivan

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hope he gets better.
Why not just play left handed?

I assume this means he won the WC with a sore elbow.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ronnie O'Sullivan fined for obscene gestures at the World Championship and UK Championship :​

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooke...OK3jjkLpXESN4_6PaliMVsu_xsmibNqqs7TbzvU6BCllo

RONNIE O'SULLIVAN FINED £4,000 BY SNOOKER CHIEFS FOR 'LEWD AND OFFENSIVE GESTURE' AT UK AND WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP​

World champion Ronnie O'Sullivan will be forced to pay £4,000 after being fined by the sport's governing body for bringing the game into disrepute. The world No. 1 was sanctioned by the WPBSA for incidents at last year's UK Championship and the World Championship earlier this year. The Essex player has the right to appeal the decision. The Home Nations series is live and exclusive on discovery+.​

telinoz

Registered

Ronnie O'Sullivan's brutal assessment of snooker tour: 'I don't think anyone has it' :​

"People do it in spells, but to maintain it is the hard thing."

This is the context, and he is not wrong.

Nobody is dominating the game.
A few season with some players winning 3 or more tournaments from much larger circuit these days.

I thought Mark Selby would be the man to dominant at one point, he has some issues now to work through.
John Higgins is still playing, and his hard to beat.
Neil Robertson, has spells again - but can't repeat his 2010 glory.
Judd Trump had a good patch, but has not sustained it.

It's hard to argue with what he is saying really...

Reactions: bbb

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ronnie O'Sullivan records second-fastest ever TV century in Scottish Open​

By Sporting Life
00:16 · TUE November 29, 2022
Ronnie O'Sullivan ensured the Scottish Open began with a bang as he recorded the second-fastest century in televised snooker history.
O'Sullivan needed just 214 seconds, narrowly falling short of the record held by Tony Drago on 211, as he went on to register a sensational 118 to the delight of the crowd in Edinburgh. :

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scottish Open: Ronnie O'Sullivan misses fastest TV century break by three seconds ::​

www.bbc.co.uk

O'Sullivan misses fastest TV century by three seconds

Ronnie O'Sullivan misses out on the fastest televised century break by just three seconds as he whizzes through the first round at the Scottish Open.
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ronnie O’Sullivan fires warning to Michael van Gerwen ahead of World Darts Championship :​

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/new...sedgntp&cvid=1978d696078343fc8f32c3db238f6967

Ronnie should stick to Snooker because when it comes to Darts He knows next to nothing . Phil Taylor came out of retirement to sign up to the World Seniors Darts tour . Chris Mason accepted invitations to come out of the commentary box to play some events , Glenn Durrant retired from the PDC , it's what happens when you get older , the body or mind can't cope with the tour :

THREE-TIME BDO WORLD CHAMPION AND FORMER PREMIER LEAGUE WINNER GLEN DURRANT RETIRES FROM PROFESSIONAL DARTS AFTER LOSING TOUR CARD :​

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/three-tim...rom-professional-darts-after-losing-tour-card

DURRANT ANNOUNCES NEXT MOVE AFTER LOSING PDC TOUR CARD, ACCEPTS INVITATION TO 2023 WORLD SENIORS DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP :​

https://dartsnews.com/wsdt/durrant-...tion-to-2023-world-seniors-darts-championship

Meanwhile at last weekends PDC Players Championships I looked up the betting for a 9 Darter and 170 finish but thought no , never happens too often in a final so this happened :

NINE-DARTER FOR VAN GERWEN! Michael van Gerwen strikes perfection at the Players Championship Finals :​

170 CHECKOUT! Michael van Gerwen reels in the BIG FISH during the Players Championship Finals 2022 :​

My bet was MVG to hit more 180's but somehow it never happend so what do I know ? ;)(y)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Michael van Gerwen calls out Ronnie O'Sullivan after darts vs snooker claim :​

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/new...sedgntp&cvid=be03bf6105794b14a3adc89ef56b2ff7

Quote .

Michael van Gerwen responds to Ronnie O’Sullivan’s claims

"It didn’t take the three-time World Champion long to respond, tweeting: “I’m up for this, me v @ronnie147 at the Palace? @OfficialPDC any takers?”

Shaun Murphy on achieving the 147 break, nine-darter and a hole-in-one as he reopens debate on which is tougher :​

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooke...-he-reopens-debate-on-which-is-tougher/205681

I've never had a 147 but a few maximus on a 6X3 table , i've never had a hole in one at the golf , got close a few times on par 3's with the tee shot to within a foot , I've never had a 9 darter maybe the closest was to hit 7 treble 20's in a row .

My opinion .

A 147 is the hardest , lose position and the chance has gone , a hole in 1 at the golf , well you could tee off and hit a hazard like a tree and the ball bounces onto the green and rolls into the hole . Modern day pro dart players make a 9 darter look easy but they're constantly playing tournaments and practising and once in the flow it's all natural.....

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

THE PARADOX OF RONNIE O'SULLIVAN: THE FIGUREHEAD AND REBEL WHO PUT GOAT STATUS BEYOND DOUBT IN 2022​

Ronnie O'Sullivan won a seventh world title in 2022. It confirmed his greatest of all time status, writes Dave Hendon. Yet, as ever with The Rocket, that only tells half the story. The 47-year-old Rocket, Hendon writes, manages to be both a figurehead and a rebel at the same time, simultaneously putting snooker on the map and then scribbling over it. :​

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker...s-beyond-doubt-in-2022_sto9287807/story.shtml

Happy New Year 2023 folks ! ;):cool::love:(y)

Last edited:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

RONNIE O'SULLIVAN REVEALS WHERE HE WANTS TO END CAREER AFTER REACHING LAST 16 AT SIX RED WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP​

Ronnie O'Sullivan has revealed he would like to finish his playing career in Asia after reaching the last 16 of the Six Red World Championship in Bangkok with a 5-2 victory over Stan Moody on Wednesday. He also praised former world No. 3 James Wattana for his "massive" contribution to the growth of the sport in Thailand. Stream the Six Red World Championship live and on-demand on discovery+. :​

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker Loopy
The Trials and Tribulations of the Baize : https://greenbaize1972.com/snooker-...psExI9cQRjDSbPz1-Tar0orGktNvZAdxpvfrTrUrsPmh8 :

Snooker Without Ronnie​

By Elliott West :

“I’d like to finish my career off in Asia. This is where snooker is more popular – like in China, Thailand and Hong Kong”.
Ronnie O’Sullivan
IMG_34817434.jpg
Ronnie O’Sullivan, photograph courtesy of The Mirror.

Introduction

Sometimes it is good to look forwards and imagine what the snooker scene might look like in years to come. Although Ronnie O’Sullivan is probably not the powerhouse he once was, he is still highly popular amongst the fans and draws in a large audience wherever he goes and generates high ticket sales. Time may be running out for him this season to qualify for the Tour Championship and he would have to win the WST Classic to achieve this target as the cut-off point falls after this tournament. Admittedly he has played well in the World Six Red Championship but bear in mind this is non-ranking.

The snooker world that O’Sullivan first started off in as a professional in 1992 has largely disappeared and rather than one player dominating the season, it is now very hard to tell where the next champion will come from. Snooker has turned into a sport where so many players hunger for glory and just because you are a topped ranking player, doesn’t guarantee glory, only in the fantasy world of the bookmakers. Ronnie has adopted an approach where he picks and chooses his events and is far more relaxed when he loses. Of course, he can because he has won everything and the only real goal is increasing his number of World Championship titles. Even his closest contenders such as Judd Trump, Mark Selby and Neil Robertson have faded away somewhat this season, allowing Mark Allen to surge and Shaun Murphy to perform well.

The End?

It seems reckless to write off Ronnie O’Sullivan quite yet and he has won the Hong Kong Masters and the Champion of Champions this season, no mean feat as it is hard enough to win just one tournament. I wouldn’t rule out him winning this year’s World Championship just a few weeks away as he always prepares well for Triple Crown events, especially the big one at the Crucible in Sheffield. A snooker marathon that he detests being backstage, the media attention and the long slog of 17 days, having to remain mentally focused for so long. He does it though because he doesn’t want to disappoint his fans and knows how many eyes are watching worldwide.

Ronnie probably has another 20 years of snooker in him and at 47 is probably not quite ready to throw in the towel and retire despite how many times he threatens to. He is a snooker force that is unique and is definitely the best player that has ever picked up a snooker cue. Yes he is cocky and outspoken and his media statements drive me crazy but to the few that actually know him, not that I am saying I am one, he is actually a kind and generous person who takes friendship very seriously.

Without him, snooker would probably be a strange place and may cause some of the diehard Ronnie fans to stop watching snooker but it certainly wouldn’t be the end of the game. At the moment, you are seeing what this world could look like and it would definitely have a larger number of newer players who perform well and are one course for titles. Just look at players such as Joe O’Connor and Stan Moody. They are the fearless future of snooker, unruffled and ready to take on anyone the draw throws at them.

When the Asian market does eventually open and the match-fixing saga has been dealt with, the floodgates will open in China and you will probably see more budding Chinese players, outside the ones bedded in at academies in the UK, predominantly in Sheffield. This may take time and has taken a lot longer than most predicted. The futures of Yan Bingtao, Liang Wenbo and Zhao Xintong remain in the balance but the sport will always seek out new contenders and I will praise Ronnie for congratulating any player that he sees as having a great future in the game as he did most recently with Stan Moody and Joe O’Connor. These are English but imagine if an equivalent could be found in the Chinese or Thai field.

Afterthoughts

Ronnie O’Sullivan is here to stay for some time. He may not perform well in every tournament and hoover up every trophy like he once did but he still remains a constant danger for the other players on the tour. He is a target that you want to beat, playing well or badly, a scalp that you can boast you have beaten. His escape is always running or the Eurosport studio. He feels much more comfortable running with the elements or the small Eurosport family than the trudge of the tour. He plays and gets out, he doesn’t hang around and mingle. A champion who just wants to get the job done because after all being a professional snooker player is a job and few have actually had a job outside snooker. This especially applies to Ronnie who has been playing since he was a little boy. O’Sullivan remains the benchmark of excellence in snooker and even when he finally does decide to retire, his legacy will always be present. He is the one snooker player that even a non-snooker fan can name. A force that can sell practically anything when his name is put to it and enthuses an audience to fever-pitch levels. A great who will always remain so and even if you don’t like him, you can’t help warming to him.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Colin Murray reflects on his 'good and bad moments' working alongside Ronnie O'Sullivan :​

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...p&cvid=e0142ae2ba434781b12fe3f66067798d&ei=34

Talking Snooker Episode 112 - Talking Snooker :

In an appearance on the Talking Snooker podcast, Murray revealed O'Sullivan was never really "in the best frame of mind" while on punditry duty as he would usually only work for Eurosport after he had already been knocked out of a tournament. :

WHO WILL BE NEXT TO JOIN RONNIE O'SULLIVAN IN 1,000 CENTURIES CLUB? WHY SNOOKER TONS ARE SO SPECIAL​

Eurosport's Dave Hendon takes a look at why snooker centuries are so special and what makes fans marvel at the feat so much. Ronnie O'Sullivan is currently the only player to have notched up 1,000 centuries in his career, but fellow legends John Higgins, Judd Trump and Neil Robertson are not far off joining The Rocket by achieving the remarkable feat given their heavy scoring. :​

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker...er-tons-are-so-special_sto9507907/story.shtml :

TOP 10 CENTURY MAKERS​

• 1,196 – Ronnie O’Sullivan
  • 928 – John Higgins
  • 899 – Judd Trump
  • 891 – Neil Robertson
  • 776 – Stephen Hendry
  • 754 – Mark Selby
  • 614 – Ding Junhui, Shaun Murphy
  • 587 – Mark Williams
  • 568 – Mark Allen