Rookie as hell tool questions about Hightower delux

icbm

Registered
Hello all. I'm a wood Turner and the desire for cue building is what got me into (I made a few that were ragged attempts on my wood lathes) it...sadly it took me 11yrs or so to save and I now have my delux

I get dumbstruck in here by the verbiage I simply don't know. So if anyone familiar with the delux I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are there any pictures of the tooling with nomenclature floating around? Boring bar, correct tap for threading atlas pins, thread chasing tool, correct position of bearings on tape bar, and is the out of the box taper bar set up for butts/forearm/handle or for shafts

Thank you for any help.

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would suggest just get Chris's videos on cue building which use his machinery. This would be the best instruction on using the Cueman lathes.

The video comes with the package when purchasing from Cueman.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
go to the archives on this forum and read all........... yes all ... the Ask the Cuemaker .............. posts............. study............. then practice for 3 years an then you might be a cue maker

icbm

Registered
go to the archives on this forum and read all........... yes all ... the Ask the Cuemaker .............. posts............. study............. then practice for 3 years an then you might be a cue maker
Sir dont mistake me. I'm not expecting to be able to crank out cues and sell them. Gifts, market day festivals in small towns etc. I have studied a decent bit. I swear my DVD player is tired of me re-watching Chris's basic video. I'll grab the book and devour it. So far I've made very simple handles and shafts, no inlays, no points. I greatly appreciate your advice and you can rest assured I am not a weekend warrior who could afford a lathe. Thank you again sir.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching some machining videos on YouTube is a great way to learn too. Maybe even pick up a machinist handbook.
I'm not equating cue making to being a machinist, but you use many of the same tools and techniques.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching some machining videos on YouTube is a great way to learn too. Maybe even pick up a machinist handbook.
I'm not equating cue making to being a machinist, but you use many of the same tools and techniques.

Agreed. I spend a lot of time watching guys like ABOM79, This Old Tony, etc. For lack of better words - a lathe is a lathe is a lathe.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all. I'm a wood Turner and the desire for cue building is what got me into (I made a few that were ragged attempts on my wood lathes) it...sadly it took me 11yrs or so to save and I now have my delux

I get dumbstruck in here by the verbiage I simply don't know. So if anyone familiar with the delux I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are there any pictures of the tooling with nomenclature floating around? Boring bar, correct tap for threading atlas pins, thread chasing tool, correct position of bearings on tape bar, and is the out of the box taper bar set up for butts/forearm/handle or for shafts

Thank you for any help.
buy Chris's book, if you can budget the money or the dvd's he sells....very informative and I double check my self all the time...Being older I forget lots of stuff I knew before...Also just ask in the forum...everyone knows lots of stuff and are glad to tell you...

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Sir dont mistake me. I'm not expecting to be able to crank out cues and sell them. Gifts, market day festivals in small towns etc. I have studied a decent bit. I swear my DVD player is tired of me re-watching Chris's basic video. I'll grab the book and devour it. So far I've made very simple handles and shafts, no inlays, no points. I greatly appreciate your advice and you can rest assured I am not a weekend warrior who could afford a lathe. Thank you again sir.
no slam intended............ from my experience when I was starting out........... you need to gather all the information you can from all the sources you can find................................. and then try some out and find the methods that work for you.................. there seems to be less ass holes on this forem than when I started 10 years ago.................... LOL

icbm

Registered
no slam intended............ from my experience when I was starting out........... you need to gather all the information you can from all the sources you can find................................. and then try some out and find the methods that work for you.................. there seems to be less ass holes on this forem than when I started 10 years ago.................... LOL
Dennis Deakman told me to leave this alone. So did several I wont mention by name. I am and have been gathering all the info I can, hell the cue building book fifth edition is open next to me. I jumped on here as a break. There is an incredible amount of information I never considered or reasoned out. But I am in this thing and I will build cues, I will fail but I'll get up smarter and harder. I really appreciate your taking time to talk to me.

Dale

icbm

Registered
buy Chris's book, if you can budget the money or the dvd's he sells....very informative and I double check my self all the time...Being older I forget lots of stuff I knew before...Also just ask in the forum...everyone knows lots of stuff and are glad to tell you...
I actually have it open right beside me (Chris's book). Thank so much for the suggestion

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My son came on here back then and tried posting some questions. He got a lot of smart ellick answers telling him to just ask his dad and such and he lost interest in a hurry. He really could have been a great asset here on the CNC side of things. If everyone just followed the basic rules on here this would be a great civil platform for helping one another.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son came on here back then and tried posting some questions. He got a lot of smart ellick answers telling him to just ask his dad and such and he lost interest in a hurry. He really could have been a great asset here on the CNC side of things. If everyone just followed the basic rules on here this would be a great civil platform for helping one another.
That's too bad, maybe if they knew who he was they would have tried to help. I know how that is with sons and their fathers.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you for any help.
You can get pictures in the store for cueman cuesmith products as well as atlas billiard supplies and most anybody that sells cuelathe products. Chris lists the gun drills and sells them by size as well as the bits you need taps etc. All the pins and even cue parts are for sale and there are pictures. Lots of info out there just takes awhile to dig around. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask. All the guys like to help.

JC

Coos Cues
They were basically telling him he did not need to be on the forum asking anything about cue making, because he could just ask me.
I bought your book as almost the first thing out of the gate when building cues first interested me. Probably a year before I bought my first lathe.

Had I followed every bit of information in it to the tee I would now be building Hightower cues.

Maybe he wanted to build his cues, not his dad's. :)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having recently purchased a Hightower lathe I have perused these forums for all the information I can and what I've learned when people ask questions is some people will give all the information freely and some will tell them too bad, you're on your own.