Rubbing the cue ball on the rail

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why though? Just cause?
Because the chalk that is wiped from the cue ball is then rubbed into the cloth on the rail. Why wouldn't you rub the cue ball with a cloth that can be cleaned or maybe on your jeans or in your pants pocket?

Greg M

Honestly, if the cue ball has chalk marks, I usually just clean it with my cue towel. Quick and effective.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned something from Gabe Owen years ago. Clean the cueball from inside your front pocket. Just put the cueball inside your pocket and swish it around. This is especially good when getting to break the balls playing One Pocket.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is to clean the cue ball.
Just like a number of strange habits different players have, all levels of players pick it up because they’ve seen good players or pro players doing it. Some of them may not even know why they are doing it. Kind of like the air bridge habit.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I learned something from Gabe Owen years ago. Clean the cueball from inside your front pocket. Just put the cueball inside your pocket and swish it around. This is especially good when getting to break the balls playing One Pocket.
Hence the term pocket pool?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet you if watch some people shooting pool now or even some videos you will see it happen. Once again did you never wonder how those chips of chalk get on the table? I find it highly unlikely that they would adhere to the tip and then fall of in the process of shooting. Its kinda like the arrow and the spoon on the side of a Fed Ex truck, and once you see them you cant un-see them. :):)
I am with you. Chalking over the table happens frequently and I am a bit fllaggerblasted people aren't aware or acknowledgimg it.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It particularly occurs with players that grind/spin their cue in to the cube of chalk while holding their cue horizontally.
I am guilty of that but I hold my tip away from the table. I am probably aware of it because I take care of my table at home and treat other tables as if they are mine.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Our league was running near the end of the season and I tried this on the set of rather grungy pool balls.
I brought in a bottle of "Rain-X Glass Cleaner & Water Repellent", wiped the balls clean and dried.
Only 2 other players seen what I did and asked them to see if it made any difference while playing.
After 3 or 4 practice games no one could tell there was any difference at all. Even with my massive spins
I couldn't tell. Tip grabbed the cue-ball normally and balls spun off the rails as usual.
But them balls....
SHINEY 2.jpg

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much coverage of the ball’s surface the rail and bed of the table could really get to. Might be for cleaning the ball in vain.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much coverage of the ball’s surface the rail and bed of the table could really get to. Might be for cleaning the ball in vain.
The contact area on the nose of the cushion is maybe half an inch wide if you press the ball in some. I suspect that only part of the ball is cleaned each pass, but that's a lot like most people's chalking.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Depends where on the rail you're rubbing... the nose or rail top.
Nose, like Bob said. 1/2" and the top possibly 3/4 to 1 inch. Tho the rail top you're running into the possibility of scratching the ball on the laminated plastic if it has it.
Maybe incorporated a 'Ball Cleaning Station' like golf courses? Then again, who's as fastidious as a golfer? :rolleyes:
If you're in a pool hall simply take the ball up to the counter for an exchange. If it's that dirty, they'll clean it, then opponents have no gripes.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m with the put it in your pants pocket. I’ve seen a lot of pros do this. Just make sure you don’t have anything in your pocket. You don’t want that ball smelling like weed or whatever else you might have in that pocket.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like the more chalk that is on the nose of the cushion the more difficult it is to pocket balls because when I get brand new cloth the balls just slide in off the rail. But I could also see people wanting the table to play as difficult as possible.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
One of Dr. Dave's videos explains how chalk marks on the balls can cause skids...pros know this. That's why you often see them request a cue ball cleaning by the referee.