Rugs for under a billiards table

OtterBoy

Registered
I have a Peter Vitalie table, 3 piece slat. Very massive frame. The picture is not current, I am living in a brand new built house and have not set up the table yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20130826_130158 (1)~01.jpg
    IMG_20130826_130158 (1)~01.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 634

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the point?!?!

Cause it looks cool. I live in my house--I want quality items in it that I enjoy and enjoy looking at. That design matches the table and the decor perfectly.

And, although he passed away last year, my cat needed comfy flooring to hang out on. He hung out under the table while I played pool.

The issue is that having a rug under the table is not for looks, it's to keep your feet from hurting as much and if you jump a ball off the table not having it damage the floor or itself if floor is concrete. For looks you can do anything really, but not function. Reminds me of this
d248e129cd1c8abbd8f212a4ae0be55e.jpg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip--

So, to conclude, my carpet is performing admirably in the purpose it is intended to achieve: looking cool beneath my table. I have played pool barefoot plenty of times, but not for any extended length of time without a comfortable set of shoes and wool socks (although my hips are both in great shape—I now have more flexibility than the average person my age without artificial hips).

Well sure, if the point of your rug is for decoration, then it's decorated LOL Same thing with people that use crazy color cloth for the table. Sure it matches the room, but does not do much to do the job it was made to do for function.

But in 95% of cases when people want a rug under a table, they want it around the table to stand on for comfort not for decoration, which made your picture with the rug for the table to be comfy on funny to me.

Edit.. I just looked at your picture and noticed you used black rail cloth LOL, see my cloth comment above :)

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with a high industrial grade, all wool, Berber carpet. Berber is a weave pattern that wears very well in high traffic areas, but beware of cheap materials. Only wool or all nylon should be considered. It really deadens the noise level in my pool room, and is very comfortable under foot. After eight years, it is not showing any wear. It is important to use a high grade of padding under your rug, because it will also add to the life of the carpet. The room was built solely for the purpose of having a 9' table, so it was built with 12" centers on the floor joists, instead of 18", and the carpet was chosen with the same purpose, of being pool friendly. Settling has never been an issue, and the table has remained level.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I had a carpet under my 8 footer for a very long time. It didn't cover a large area, though, and was mostly there to keep the table and me from sliding during a shot. Got distracting, though, to have one foot on and one foot off the rug, and after a time, the rug frayed at a corner or two.

Pulled the rug out when the table was last serviced and added furniture grippers. The table is heavy, but I'm not a light man and wanted the piece of mind that I wasn't going to knock the table around. I prefer having the rug gone.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing a session on that black table, i would be cross eyed with a headache!

OtterBoy

Registered
Never mind about the rug question, I'll figure it out myself. My choice on table cloth color or wall color is my choice and what I wanted to go with at the time. The table color was a mistake and I have learned my lesson, just like I have learned my lesson that most advice on here is mostly bullsh*t. Whether someone wants a rug under there table or wants there choice of cloth color is there choice, just the same as what type/color car they buy, what cloths they buy or who they marry, it's there choices and there right to make them choices.

So, now you people can go give your advice on someone's other post, most of it being from people who are more interested in running people down or want to just want to put there worthless bullsh*t advise.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really would like something a little larger for your table and have the ability to stand or walk on the area, go to a carpet store and you can pick the backing and carpet and they will tell you who in the area would sew you a custom designed piece. They do this all the time with floor throw rugs with the left over carpet you have, so, I see no reason why they can't do this for a bigger area.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with a high industrial grade, all wool, Berber carpet. Berber is a weave pattern that wears very well in high traffic areas, but beware of cheap materials. Only wool or all nylon should be considered. It really deadens the noise level in my pool room, and is very comfortable under foot. After eight years, it is not showing any wear. It is important to use a high grade of padding under your rug, because it will also add to the life of the carpet. The room was built solely for the purpose of having a 9' table, so it was built with 12" centers on the floor joists, instead of 18", and the carpet was chosen with the same purpose, of being pool friendly. Settling has never been an issue, and the table has remained level.

I did basically the same thing having had a berber wool carpet made 13' x 19'. Provides ample coverage for the placement my 9' GCI. No settling issues, and after fifteen years, no visible signs of wear.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Never mind about the rug question, I'll figure it out myself. My choice on table cloth color or wall color is my choice and what I wanted to go with at the time. The table color was a mistake and I have learned my lesson, just like I have learned my lesson that most advice on here is mostly bullsh*t. Whether someone wants a rug under there table or wants there choice of cloth color is there choice, just the same as what type/color car they buy, what cloths they buy or who they marry, it's there choices and there right to make them choices.

So, now you people can go give your advice on someone's other post, most of it being from people who are more interested in running people down or want to just want to put there worthless bullsh*t advise.

I'm not going to get into some ridiculous flame or posting war, so this is a one-and-done. I just looked back through this thread, and frankly, your response is the one that contains the most "bullsh*t". Your OP asked for rug suggestions and advice. It was a fairly broad request for information, and one would think that you'd appreciate getting the opinions that you solicited and received. We're pool players here, not interior decorators.

Other posters gave you got a lot of good suggestions involving different types of carpet, how to find bargains, and the like. Their (note the spelling) advice appeared informative. Yes, there was even a roundabout suggestion that you consider removing the rug completely. That is, believe it or not, an opinion about the best rug for under a pool table: none.

What information did you expect to get that you haven't? Do you often solicit opinions and then insult those who give them? Next time, try a simple, "Thanks for the opinions, guys," and leave it at that.

Reactions: mvp

ironsoldier71

Registered
yes no rug at all. That causes issues with the levelness over time. You will need it re-leveled many times over the years of having it. I put my Diamond Pro Am 9ft table on a flat solid surface no rug. Diamond folks told me it should stay level for years that way. I'll take Diamonds word on it.

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com
Player: Two Feather Anasazi by Viking Pool Cues (11 of 150)
Shaft: ViKore Shaft by Viking Pool Cues
Break: Predator Break 3 Pool Cue
Jump: Air 2 by Predator Pool Cues
Case: Instroke 3x5 Southwest Black Pool Cue Case
Table: Diamond Pro Am 9 ft with Aramith Tourney TV Pool Balls