Sad day for players in maryland :(

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While these events didn't happen today, i found out two of maryland's few remaining player's poolhalls are closing down. Bluejays, maryland's oldest poolhall, having opened it's doors around 1910 i believe have decided to close down. Barry, the owner apperently just came in one day, and said "f*ck it im done" and closed down. He sold most of the tables and such. It's a shame, it was one of the few PoolHall pool halls left.. no jukebox, beads used for straightpool strung about the lights, sigh....

but you can't blame him for shutting down. rent was 10k a month for a place that probably made nowhere near that per month. i had noticed that after the smoking ban, business had fallen a lot, and in the back of my mind worried if that would effect business, but never would've believed/guessed that it would shut down.
I was truely saddened when i heard about this news.

to add salt to a fresh wound, i found out jack and jills was closing also. this was the poolhall featured in tony anglioni(sp)'s book, when he went to maryland and played danny green. Jack and jills used to be THE action room in maryland. a lot of the best players/roadies/hustlers went through that room throughout the years. there was a point in time a few years ago that you could find 1k - 5k action there on several tables every night.

it's a sad state of the sport we all love and enjoy when tons of history are being closed down just because owners can't afford to pay rent any more.

With those two rooms, and bill and billies having shut down a few months ago because the house man there was a dickhead who decided to sue the owner maryland has lost 3 quality poolrooms in the span of 5~6 months.

Quality pool rooms, may you rest in peace.

i will now mourn a beautiful game which deserves better than what it's at now.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ioCross said:
While these events didn't happen today, i found out two of maryland's few remaining player's poolhalls are closing down. Bluejays, maryland's oldest poolhall, having opened it's doors around 1910 i believe have decided to close down. Barry, the owner apperently just came in one day, and said "f*ck it im done" and closed down. He sold most of the tables and such. It's a shame, it was one of the few PoolHall pool halls left.. no jukebox, beads used for straightpool strung about the lights, sigh....

but you can't blame him for shutting down. rent was 10k a month for a place that probably made nowhere near that per month. i had noticed that after the smoking ban, business had fallen a lot, and in the back of my mind worried if that would effect business, but never would've believed/guessed that it would shut down.

to add salt to a fresh wound, i found out jack and jills was closing also. this was the poolhall featured in tony anglioni(sp)'s book, when he went to maryland and played danny green. Jack and jills used to be THE action room in maryland. a lot of the best players/roadies/hustlers went through that room throughout the years. there was a point in time a few years ago that you could find 1k - 5k action there on several tables every night.

it's a sad state of the sport we all love and enjoy when tons of history are being closed down just because owners can't afford to pay rent any more.

With those two rooms, and bill and billies having shut down a few months ago because the house man there was a dickhead who decided to sue the owner maryland has lost 3 quality poolrooms in the span of 5~6 months.

Man. That sucks!

~rc

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look on the bright side. Real estate prices are plummeting. Businesses are shutting down all over the place. This will make the lease market more inviting for pool hall owners, especially in the sh$...oles they normally are placed within. What really needs to be done is a reversion to the old days when you could hang out in a pool hall and find a match. No one wants to play these days, mostly because no one books the matches. It takes a special person to do it. Must be trusted, trustworthy and a solid judge of talent. When you employ some kid that has no experience or talent, you get what you get. Nothing. Why should I bust my hump to go to a pool hall when no one there is busting their hump for me ?????

tim

jkjerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flipmode said:
Where in Maryland are these located?
Hi Flipmode,

The poolhalls mentioned were in various locations (see list below).

BlueJay - Catonsville, MD
Jack & Jill's - Glen Burnie, MD
Bill & Billie's - Arnold, MD

RIP to the latest list of poolhall casualties!

Jerry

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ioCross said:

wow, i didn't know bluejays and jack & jills are closing down. and had no idea there was that much action at jack and jills, only went there once because it was the only 24 hour pool hall. I always heard crappy things about the place, about the tables and stuff, but it seemed pretty decent. was that the place with some pink tables or lighting or something?

sad to hear about bluejays, i went there quite a few times. i remember when that place in laurel closed down, i was upset. however i havn't gone to any of these places in quite a while, i didn't even notice the smoking ban taking effect, as i've been finding more than enough competition at my college now that a ladder started up with some cheap cheap pool. i can't imagine what VIP or even moreso centennial que would be like without smoke.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It's surprising to hear from so many pool room and bar owners, about the toll that the smoking ban has taken on them. I smoke, but I never considered not going out because you can't smoke. I don't understand why people quit going out because of the ban. To me it is not even related, like apples and oranges. One pool room owner in Denver told me that it has cost him 25K per month since the ban.

I think that the smoking ban is bad, and there is no question that some bars have been affected, especially the ones that have no place to smoke outside. But it is possible that the economy is so bad, that the ban is just an excuse not to go out and spend money.

Flipmode

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are any of these rooms selling their tables? Im looking for a 7ft table for a buddy of mine.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't smoke and love the ban. I hated going home smelling like a cigarette. I will say the ban has hurt a lot of pool rooms which is a shame. I am sure another group of rooms will open in Maryland in due time.

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
stikapos said:
What really needs to be done is a reversion to the old days when you could hang out in a pool hall and find a match. No one wants to play these days, mostly because no one books the matches. It takes a special person to do it.
tim

I think you watched COM too many times. If I owned a pool hall and the houseman I hired to manage my business was trying to set up money games I would fire his ass. I don't need any law enforcment poking around and messing with my liveyhood that behavior might bring. I was a houseman back in the early to mid eighties, I didn't make games and I wouldn't interject anything if someone wanted to play someone. But if someone came in and annouced to the room that that you were some big time gambler and that they'd play anyone for anything, I'd ask them to leave too.

Flipmode

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know of any other pool halls that are closing down and are selling their tables? My buddy would like to purchase a valley barbox...maybe even 2.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flipmode said:
Does anyone know of any other pool halls that are closing down and are selling their tables? My buddy would like to purchase a valley barbox...maybe even 2.
There are lots on ebay.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HouseMan said:
I think you watched COM too many times. If I owned a pool hall and the houseman I hired to manage my business was trying to set up money games I would fire his ass. I don't need any law enforcment poking around and messing with my liveyhood that behavior might bring. I was a houseman back in the early to mid eighties, I didn't make games and I wouldn't interject anything if someone wanted to play someone. But if someone came in and annouced to the room that that you were some big time gambler and that they'd play anyone for anything, I'd ask them to leave too.

Why!!!!!!!!!

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Smart

Flipmode said:
Are any of these rooms selling their tables? Im looking for a 7ft table for a buddy of mine.

If your "buddy" would be interested in a Diamond Smart Table or 2, have him give me a call or text.

Ray

254-379-2569

2543792569@txt.att.net instant communication

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
ironman said:
Why!!!!!!!!!

>>>I don't need any law enforcment poking around and messing with my liveyhood that behavior might bring. <<<<

I said why in my answer. ^ If I want the place to stay in business, I don't want anyone promoting money matches and gambling out in the open for the world to see. If individuals want to get their gamble on, I would expect them to keep it on the down low.

This may also be a regional thing. What you may get away with where you are, I ain't getting away with here in MD. I know I'm not getting any breaks from the local police if there is something that they think shouldn't be happening there.

I've heard the game of skill between two people argument. I'm sure the state would be more than happy to litigate that in their courts especially when they can't even get slot machines in at the racetrack. I wouldn't have the resources (or want to spend the resources) to fight that battle.

I've actually thought about opening a place and I still do think it could happen in the future. But there's lots of risk and not so much reward that I can see right now.

:)

mapman72

Big Daddy's

Yes it is sad that these spots are closing down. I really think everyone is quick to blame the smoking ban though. Let's face it, Blue Jay wasn't exactly a cash cow. They made money on table time, a very limited snack bar, and probably a cherry master or two. I think the trend that we're going to continue to see are pool halls that are more upscale, with alcohol, dining, and other forms of entertainment. The problem is that these places often put more care into the alcohol/food sales than the quality of the pool equipment (e.g., Buffalo Billiards in DC).

That said, a new pool hall opened up not long ago in Glen Burnie. Rick Molinero opened a place called Big Daddy's. It's a nice place with very nice equipment (Diamond/Brunswick) and plenty of tournaments. Rick is also an accomplished player and I'm pretty sure he offers lessons there. Stop in and check it out.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Big Daddy's

They are holding this years 14.1 qualifier at Big Daddy's. I will be there to check it out. Glad to hear some other location has picked up this wonderful tournament.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
They are holding this years 14.1 qualifier at Big Daddy's. I will be there to check it out. Glad to hear some other location has picked up this wonderful tournament.

Didn't that guy Rick who owns Big Daddy's used to work at the place that used to hold the 14.1 qualifier at Bill and Billie's in Arnold, MD? The name is familiar to me -- I think. :eek:

Does Big Daddy's serve alcohol and allow smoking cigarettes inside?

JAM

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Not sure

JAM said:
Didn't that guy Rick who owns Big Daddy's used to work at the place that used to hold the 14.1 qualifier at Bill and Billie's in Arnold, MD? The name is familiar to me -- I think. :eek:

Does Big Daddy's serve alcohol and allow smoking cigarettes inside?

JAM

I have yet to go there. I think Maryland is now smoke free or at least I hope it is otherwise I probably will not stay long as I really hate second hand smoke.