Sad To Report Passing of Dennis Dieckman (Deekmon) Today

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you didn't know Dennis you were missing out. Probably responsible for getting more people involved with something to do about working on, building or repairing cues than most will even admit. He had put out a collection of VHS tapes he sold that covered all things cue building involved plus a lot more. Dennis had customers from almost every corner of the world not only own one or more of his cues but would also show up at his place in Manchester Michigan to attend what he called his "Cueniversity" to learn about not only cues but just about anything that had to do with pool, 3C Billiards or anything else you could imagine that was involved with living life.

I'm fortunate to say that I was lucky enough to have met Dennis and be one of them.
When I had made the decision in my life to attempt the art of pool cue construction I was fortunate enough to come across his phone number and only living an hour away from his shop in southern Mich I had the pleasure of many weekend visits just hanging out and learning the craft. Our standing joke between us was I always told him he taught me 1000 different ways how not to build a pool cue.

Even after he slowed down his cue building business he was still a fixture every year at the SBE. He really just enjoyed talking to people and carrying on with some of his goofy antics that made you either like the guy or make a big circle around him.

Rest in peace Dennis..... Thanks for all you've done. You will be missed.

Dave, you was Dennis number 0ne student, even allow Jamison and him to drop egg on your floor,while trying to cook.... numerous year back.

Dieckman passed 12:42 pm central time or 1:42pm eastern time

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not know Dennis. But I knew of him as a pool legend and an amazing member of our community. A very sad loss. RIP.

Lou Figueroa

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Always sorry to hear of one of our Pool family passing.
I was introduced to Dennis many Years ago but really did not know him. My late friend John knew him and had a funny story that he went to visit him I think Dennis was living in Michigan at the time. John said he lived in a rural area but as he got closer he saw cue butts hanging from the trees so he knew he was on the right track.
He had a really nice visit with Dennis and bought 1or 2 cues it was getting late and Dennis invited John to sleep there and drive out the next morning back to Ohio.

John accepted and said he kept waking up to strange noises like Dennis walking around the house and it was pitch black where John was sleeping. John was not the nervous type and knew how to take care of himself but he confided to me he was scared that night and couldn't wait
for sunrise to come. Dennis turned out to be a really nice guy and he and John always conversed with each other over the years.
RIP Dennis.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My time with Dennis, 13 trips there, sometimes for 7 or 10ys at a time was some of the best memories of my life.
everybody knows about the burnt pizza incident
this one is tough to take
this now makes two cuemakers i have a personal connection to that have died in the last two weeks
Dale aka PDcue and now Dieck

Brent,

I had not heard about Dale's passing. I was buying some old micarta ferrules from him that I prepaid and after a month or so he refunded payment saying he was done with the business because of health reasons. Dang, I guess it was worse than he let on. :( I enjoyed talkng with him over the years.

May Dale rest in peace.
Dave

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Sad news in the world of cuemaking.
Dennis was very cool, I enjoyed his interesting comments.
My condolences to Dennis Dieckman's friends, family, and the world of pool.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you didn't know Dennis you were missing out. Probably responsible for getting more people involved with something to do about working on, building or repairing cues than most will even admit. He had put out a collection of VHS tapes he sold that covered all things cue building involved plus a lot more. Dennis had customers from almost every corner of the world not only own one or more of his cues but would also show up at his place in Manchester Michigan to attend what he called his "Cueniversity" to learn about not only cues but just about anything that had to do with pool, 3C Billiards or anything else you could imagine that was involved with living life.

I'm fortunate to say that I was lucky enough to have met Dennis and be one of them.
When I had made the decision in my life to attempt the art of pool cue construction I was fortunate enough to come across his phone number and only living an hour away from his shop in southern Mich I had the pleasure of many weekend visits just hanging out and learning the craft. Our standing joke between us was I always told him he taught me 1000 different ways how not to build a pool cue.

Even after he slowed down his cue building business he was still a fixture every year at the SBE. He really just enjoyed talking to people and carrying on with some of his goofy antics that made you either like the guy or make a big circle around him.

Rest in peace Dennis..... Thanks for all you've done. You will be missed.

Nice tribute, Dave. I have known Dennis since the mid 1970's as you may know - that goofball will be missed for sure. Not just by me but the entire billiard industry and all the lives he touched. May he rest in peace.

I hope he left me his yardstick suspenders. :)

Dave

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I always liked Dennis. Kookie guy but a genius none the less.. Another legend gone. RIP Diek

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice tribute, Dave. I have known Dennis since the mid 1970's as you may know - that goofball will be missed for sure. Not just by me but the entire billiard industry and all the lives he touched. May he rest in peace.

I hope he left me his yardstick suspenders. :)

Dave

Dave

If only his yardstick suspenders could talk ... what stories!!!!!

2147.jpg

He can now talk with his mentor Carl Conlon..

Thanks Jamison Neu for fullfilling Dennis written Death wishes before his passing... Photo of Dieckman with his #1 FU Bro

DD#.jpg

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
A great builder of cues,
Extremely knowledgeable on woods and their behaviors.....
Wonderfully creative, one of a kind.
Friendly, loyal, full of stories.
RIP Dennis

Will Prout

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Dave, you was Dennis number 0ne student, even allow Jamison and him to drop egg on your floor,while trying to cook.... numerous year back.

Dieckman passed 12:42 pm central time or 1:42pm eastern time

Haha...I looked for those pictures and can't find them. That was some of his funny antics. He was going cook us some of his world famous omelettes and missed the pan when he tried to flip it in the air like some pro chef. We laughed for an hour.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha...I looked for those pictures and can't find them. That was some of his funny antics. He was going cook us some of his world famous omelettes and missed the pan when he tried to flip it in the air like some pro chef. We laughed for an hour.

I might have those pictures in one of my usb disk, Believe another picture were dd and you in a discussion while smoking your cigar in Dieckman's van

DD and Rat.jpg

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was so sad to read the news yesterday. Though I did not know him personally, I read many stories about pool folk who loved him very much.

I knew he was a good man because of his love for cats. Anybody who loves animals has a warm heart.

May he always rest in eternal peace!

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the ‘90’s I bought his set of six VHS tapes and started my journey to becoming a cue maker. Many phone conversations with him but never met in person. Bought a butterfly cue with the wood joint pin because I wanted to have a cue from my mentor. Of course he wrote HQS on it under the finish. While I’m generally not a fan of hand writing on cues I always thought this was a cool personalization he did for buyers of his cues.

Thanks Dennis.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the ‘90’s I bought his set of six VHS tapes and started my journey to becoming a cue maker. Many phone conversations with him but never met in person. Bought a butterfly cue with the wood joint pin because I wanted to have a cue from my mentor. Of course he wrote HQS on it under the finish. While I’m generally not a fan of hand writing on cues I always thought this was a cool personalization he did for buyers of his cues.

Thanks Dennis.

With Dieckman it wasn't a buyer/seller transaction, you became a part of his family for life. Each cue have a story and if you ask him in heaven, he will tell you about that cue and its' story. You might call him a cue maker or cue builder, but really ,his cues were Folk Art, by design!!! And he was the Mark Twain of the cue world!!

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
With Dieckman it wasn't a buyer/seller transaction, you became a part of his family for life. Each cue have a story and if you ask him in heaven, he will tell you about that cue and its' story. You might call him a cue maker or cue builder, but really ,his cues were Folk Art, by design!!! And he was the Mark Twain of the cue world!!

If you called him a cuemaker you might get a half hour lecture on why he was a "cue builder" and not a cuemaker. ;)