SBE Allen really got greedy this year!

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I paid extra every year.
Taking away VIP so you can, from Allen: "fit more people in the arena" is a greed move.
Couple that with charging EVERYONE the old VIP rate?
Greedy.

Jerry Forsyth

I am always amazed at how folks can draw conclusions without knowing any facts behind the conclusion. So ? + ? = !

Hopkins does not force anyone through those doors. They go there willingly.

Before anyone says something wrong, Allen has never advertised with AZB. I have no financial motive to defend him.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't get out there this year. I think it's a great event. I don't think it's too much money. I do think the vendors (with the exception of JB, Mcdermott, and custom cue makers) are way overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
People have short memories.
How quickly they forget.

Back when it used to be at Valley Forge, you weren't watching any of the pro tournament unless you paid for a pro session.

For decades.

Pool players are the nittiest bunch of people.

Blow $30 bucks on some stupid layered tip because of the hype, get all bent out of a shape when someone ups their fee the price of an appetizer at a restaurant.

I guess Allen should just pack it up and stop having the expo so the guys crying have ZERO access to pool and merchandise.
Heck, everyone should just go back to the dark ages when you learned about new stuff and ordered it from the back of a pool magazine.

But then people would bittch about that too.

I guess in order to make everyone happy, Allen is supposed to hold an event, and go broke in the process, let everyone in for free, and give ALL the money to the players.

Please stop with that nonsense. If Allen didn't make a living, you wouldn't have a SBE to go to.

Why complain about money?
Someone please show me how many events are being held, where you pay $100 to win 5k, that is also paying 64 places deep.

Show me how many events like this exist.

If the players don't like the prize money, tell them not to play, or to go get real jobs and stop whining about it.
No one is getting their arm twisted to go play.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree. I think Allen should have came here on AZB and asked everyone who has an opinion, how he should run his business and how much he should charge for every aspect of the SBE' as to NOT piss anyone off.....for fear of them being a no show at the event, therefore putting him in a position of going broke. In fact, I think anyone who posts on AZB....should at least be required to discuss their next pay raise so that it can be determined if the person deserves it or not....and should be willing to give full disclosure as to their cost of living so that we can all figure out the persons NET income.....so that it can be voted on by the AZB members as it may be to much income....as some of us may not earn that much money.....and no that just wouldn't be fair now would it:rolleyes:

Read this post. Anybody here running a business should get it. Glenn gets it.

"The cloth is too fast, the table isn't level, the lights are too hot, the color of the balls can't be seen on the stream, the cueball is terrible, there's too many seats, there's not enough seats, they charge too much, the hotel doesn't have free coffee, they won't let me ride a hoverboard around..." dick punch

This is the best tournament for amateur players to play alongside pros, some people need to be grabbed by their underwear and driven head first through some dry wall.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Read this post. Anybody here running a business should get it. Glenn gets it.

"The cloth is too fast, the table isn't level, the lights are too hot, the color of the balls can't be seen on the stream, the cueball is terrible, there's too many seats, there's not enough seats, they charge too much, the hotel doesn't have free coffee, they won't let me ride a hoverboard around..." dick punch

This is the best tournament for amateur players to play alongside pros, some people need to be grabbed by their underwear and driven head first through some dry wall.

Somebody else gets it:thumbup:
Jason

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I would pay the $30, but if after playing I find out he now wants an extra $30 for table time I wouldn't be happy. If that was known up front I'd gladly pay the $60.

I don't begrudge people making money. As a matter of fact I hope Allen makes lots of it so he continues to promote the show. It's that I expected one thing and got another. I will drop a couple of g's here all told. So it's really not the money.

I think calling the guy greedy is over the top BTW, we all have a right to a buck. He takes the chances, he should reap the rewards.

The table time was covered at the gate coming in, so that would make it $50 for your playing 3 games with a Pro. My point being, if you found more to do of your liking, you'd have less to complain about....when you had from the get go, the choice not to even attend. Just curious, how much do you have invested in cues you own....more than the cost of going to the SBE.....10 times?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The table time was covered at the gate coming in, so that would make it $50 for your playing 3 games with a Pro. My point being, if you found more to do of your liking, you'd have less to complain about....when you had from the get go, the choice not to even attend. Just curious, how much do you have invested in cues you own....more than the cost of going to the SBE.....10 times?

It's definitely a great day of entertainment. I took a break and went to Classic Billiards, had lunch at the diner in front of Classic. Went back to SBE for a hour+.
We pay to go to the zoo to look at animals. We pay to sight see. Pay to watch the Sixers and Phillies, Eagles, Flyers. Pay $17 for shipping that should cost $10. Cable TV and iPhones ... Pay for air time? Greedy is the car dealers service that charged for XYZ that was not needed or paint protection that can be done without. Greedy is the movie theater that charges $20 for a soda and popcorn. Greedy is the service charge on top of shipping and handling.
Greedy no. Everyone/anyone has the right to complain. But everyone here paid the same price. I'd rather hear compliments than complaints. Hopefully I can attend next year. Hopefully it's still $20 not $30.

Last edited:

allen_jr

CanYouRunOut.com
Silver Member
Please note. The payouts to the Pros or the Amateurs have NOT INCREASED this year either!!!!:angry:

You are completely entitled to your opinion, sorry you don't enjoy the show. Clearly, it is not for everyone.

However, please do not spread blatant lies. Here is a sample of the only payouts that have even been posted yet, compared to 2015.

compare.jpg

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, by my quick math for the pro 10-ball, your payout has decreased Increased by $500.00 $6000.00 for 2016 over 2015.

2016=$47,000.00
2015=$41,000.00

The payout is just not as deep this year, rewarding the higher finishers.

Edit: This is incorrect; payout for 2015 was actually $41,000. Should have stayed away from a quick glance on a Saturday morning without morning coffee. My apologies Allen.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
So, by my quick math for the pro 10-ball, your payout has decreased by $500.00 for 2016 over 2015.

2016=$47,000.00
2015=$47,500.00

Who do you think should be rewarded? Everybody get a trophy?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
RUN YOUR OWN EVENT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT!

i wouldn't even deal with the Pros if it were me - let em starve:D

The only thing people should complain about, and everybody has, is the food. It's not good at any price.
I expect to pay more at an event and I don't care about that, just make it edible.

Also the bleachers in pro arena - for the love of god leave a small gap in the flooring so it doesnt sound like a stampede when somebody walks or even shifts their weight

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Well, there you have it!!

9andout owes a partial apology for his OP

Will he apologize? I hope he does but doubt he will.

You are completely entitled to your opinion, sorry you don't enjoy the show. Clearly, it is not for everyone.

However, please do not spread blatant lies. Here is a sample of the only payouts that have even been posted yet, compared to 2015.

compare.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So, by my quick math for the pro 10-ball, your payout has decreased by $500.00 for 2016 over 2015.

2016=$47,000.00
2015=$47,500.00

I can't tell, is it Diamond or Allen Hopkins sponsoring the Pro 10 Ball event, or someone else because read the fine print about who gets their entry fee for free;)

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RUN YOUR OWN EVENT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT!

i wouldn't even deal with the Pros if it were me - let em starve:D

The only thing people should complain about, and everybody has, is the food. It's not good at any price.
I expect to pay more at an event and I don't care about that, just make it edible.

Also the bleachers in pro arena - for the love of god leave a small gap in the flooring so it doesnt sound like a stampede when somebody walks or even shifts their weight

Just to be clear, I am in no way advocating for anyone on this subject. Just did the math.

I'm a capitalist through and through.

Risk should equal rewards. Nobody complains when the vendors lose money running a business or event; they should not complain when it is profitable.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't tell, is it Diamond or Allen Hopkins sponsoring the Pro 10 Ball event, or someone else because read the fine print about who gets their entry fee for free;)

My guess is Joss and Mezz are paying those entry fees themselves as a perk for those two tours.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I guess it's time for me to head back over and blow even MORE money at this event.
SO EXCITED!
It only comes around once a year guys.

Special thanks to Allen for starting this fantastic event ages ago.

All you butthurt people that are mad.
Get over your cheap ass selves.

allen_jr

CanYouRunOut.com
Silver Member

2016=$47,000.00
2015=$47,500.00

Can you show me your long math?