Schon ferrule

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a schon in for a ferrule job and the material on it has the grain pattern of ivory but doesn't cut or smell like ivory. It's also alot more yellow than any ivory I have ever seen. I know there isn't any man made material that resembles ivory like this did. I assume it's ivory?? Any input from anyone? I have no idea of it's age. The guy that gave it to me I'm guessing is around 65-70. Not that that tells anything but there's a better chance it's pretty old.

Jason

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try and save yourself a short piece in case its westinghouse yellow micarta or just shorten the ferrule for the customer.

Leonard

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Since its so yellow....its definately the good old Micarta. I've seen it on many old Schons. Why does he want it changed? Since you said "cut & smell"...I assume you've cut it off already. I hope he didn't want it replaced just because it was yellow. That stuff is the best hitting ferrule material ever...and so expensive & rare its not really replaceable.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Since its so yellow....its definately the good old Micarta. I've seen it on many old Schons. Why does he want it changed? Since you said "cut & smell"...I assume you've cut it off already. I hope he didn't want it replaced just because it was yellow. That stuff is the best hitting ferrule material ever...and so expensive & rare its not really replaceable.

I know some one with a large piece of it but with gold at 800.00 an ounce right now it is still cheaper than the Yellow Micarta.

Dick

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolcuemaster said:
Try and save yourself a short piece in case its westinghouse yellow micarta or just shorten the ferrule for the customer.

Leonard

If you SHORTEN the ferrule, you'll SHORTEN the CUE...JER

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alot of people mistake it for ivory, But it's probably the old micarta judging by the cue It's on. Personally I wouldn't do a thing to change that ferrule. I have had the opertunity to shoot with one of those old schons with the micarta ferrule that I do work on, for friend that owns it, and It played very well. Easily pocketing balls, and cueball control was very easy. I can't tell you it was all in the ferrule material, but that cue played great the way It was. I wouldn't have changed a thing on it. JMHO.
As mentioned it is expensive to replace also. This guy still thinks it's ivory even after I told Him different, and that it's probably worth more then ivory, but it is definatly the micarta, and is very yellow like you mentioned.:) Wish I had some of the old stuff laying around to use.;) Greg

Easonscues

Easonscues.com
Silver Member
HI all.Im still real new at building and havent ever seen the old micarta so i cant say ,I use alot of buckhorn and I can say that Alaskan Main Moose Horn will make a off white /yellowish coler with alot a grain lines showing in it . Plays great also.
Jeff

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking it was micarta but have never seen it before. Kevin, yes I did already cut it off, had a pretty good size crack in it. Thanks guys.

Jason

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JLCues said:
I was thinking it was micarta but have never seen it before. Kevin, yes I did already cut it off, had a pretty good size crack in it. Thanks guys.

Jason

FWIW - When Bob Runde was at Schon, they used the old Micarta.
Don't know if he took it all with him when he left. Does anyone
know when they stopped using it?

I've never heard of Micarta cracking, any idea how/why it happened?

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pdcue said:
I've never heard of Micarta cracking, any idea how/why it happened?

Not clue why it cracked. Usually people just drop there stuff for repair off at the pool hall, so I don't get to talk with them all the time. I will have to ask though.

Jason

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old Schon ferrules...

I could be mistaken, but if I was informed correctly, they stopped using the old, yellow Micarta after Bob sold his interest in the company. Again, if I was given correct info, he took whatever Micarta ferrules there were, with him. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a number of them, and no, sorry, but I am not interested in selling any.